AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some searching and I do not think I've seen this issue covered--there's a lot to digest here.

I have the Panasonic 50" 6U from Costco. Actually, this is my second one; the first one had to go back because it had a nice big 2" yellow line down the center of the tv on the top half AND it started showing 2 lines, 1 pink, 1 green separated by about 1/3 of the height of the screen and traveling from bottom to top of the screen.

Exchanged at Costco. Returned home, reinstalled, etc. etc.

Same green and pink lines are showing--I'm connected to a Motorola HD Cable box (Comcast) that goes through my yamaha receiver. DVD is the same way--also shows the green and pink lines. These 2 items are connected to Component connection #1.

I've got an xbox360 and a wii through component #2 with a switchbox--absolutely NO issues for this signal.

I've been playing the Tech Support issue with Panasonic, and it's been a nightmare--from the guy who promises to return a call and doesn't (these 5 days have been the longest 2 hours of my life!) to the angry, yelling guy telling me that my cable is not grounded from the outside and that the reason this does not affect my other televisions is due to the superior technology in place in the Pannys (irony, anyone?).

Through it all, I actually noticed a slight burn-in on the screen today, which I found odd since I've never, never ever, left the tv on a still screen for any extended period of time.

Okay, so regardless: Green & Pink lines, traveling from bottom to top of the screen.

They show up when connected to the cable box or the dvd player, either through the yamaha receiver or directly connected, but not for the gaming systems. Unfortunately, this is a mounted system, so it's not all that simple to just take it down and move things to different ports, etc. However, I have run the items direct (bypassing the receiver) and the same issue occurs. And, of course, Panasonic is of no help.

Since this is my second TV from them & Costco, I'm beginning to get a little suspicious--but, I doubt it's anything other than coincidence, but I'm not sure what the issue is and how to resolve it.

Has anyone else seen this problem at all? It seems odd to me that it would be a grounding issue with my cable tv wiring since a) I ran it myself and b) the same line issue happens with the DVD player.

Thanks in advance for any linkage and/or support.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughy /forum/post/0

I've been doing some searching and I do not think I've seen this issue covered--there's a lot to digest here.

I have the Panasonic 50" 6U from Costco. Actually, this is my second one; the first one had to go back because it had a nice big 2" yellow line down the center of the tv on the top half AND it started showing 2 lines, 1 pink, 1 green separated by about 1/3 of the height of the screen and traveling from bottom to top of the screen.

Exchanged at Costco. Returned home, reinstalled, etc. etc.

Same green and pink lines are showing--I'm connected to a Motorola HD Cable box (Comcast) that goes through my yamaha receiver. DVD is the same way--also shows the green and pink lines. These 2 items are connected to Component connection #1.

I've got an xbox360 and a wii through component #2 with a switchbox--absolutely NO issues for this signal.

I've been playing the Tech Support issue with Panasonic, and it's been a nightmare--from the guy who promises to return a call and doesn't (these 5 days have been the longest 2 hours of my life!) to the angry, yelling guy telling me that my cable is not grounded from the outside and that the reason this does not affect my other televisions is due to the superior technology in place in the Pannys (irony, anyone?).

Through it all, I actually noticed a slight burn-in on the screen today, which I found odd since I've never, never ever, left the tv on a still screen for any extended period of time.

Okay, so regardless: Green & Pink lines, traveling from bottom to top of the screen.

They show up when connected to the cable box or the dvd player, either through the yamaha receiver or directly connected, but not for the gaming systems. Unfortunately, this is a mounted system, so it's not all that simple to just take it down and move things to different ports, etc. However, I have run the items direct (bypassing the receiver) and the same issue occurs. And, of course, Panasonic is of no help.

Since this is my second TV from them & Costco, I'm beginning to get a little suspicious--but, I doubt it's anything other than coincidence, but I'm not sure what the issue is and how to resolve it.

Has anyone else seen this problem at all? It seems odd to me that it would be a grounding issue with my cable tv wiring since a) I ran it myself and b) the same line issue happens with the DVD player.

Thanks in advance for any linkage and/or support.

Sorry for your troubles, I have a Panny and I dont like to hear about problems with their service, especially if I have to someday use it! Anyways....

The fact that the XBox does NOT show this makes me think that the display itself is OK. It has to be related to the input part of the equation. What do you mean BOTH items are connected to component #1? Please elaborate....

This issue is not widespread from what I have read and I try to keep up on Panny related posts.

Did you try swapping the Component #1 and #2 connections just to see if it is the component #1 hardware/board? If possible, try HDMI as well, if that clears it up then you have narrowed it down to the component connection somehow being bad. The afct that two sets did the exact same thing though lends itself to being a hookup issue somewhere. Not sure about it being a clean power situation, it would show up on the XBox then too...right?

So, lets summarize:

1) Try a swap and put the gaming system on Comp #1 and the CableBox or DVD player on Comp #2. Retest.

2) Try HDMI for ALL hardware, try it with the DVD player, cablebox , and game system and see what happens.

3) Im not sure what you mean by BOTH the dvd and cable box are hooked up to Comp #1.... I thought each piece of gear needed its own set of cables and connections: Example: If I have a DVD player, a Cable Box, and an XBox then I would need THREE seperate component connections OR use HDMI for 1 of the pieces of gear and your two component inputs for the the other two. Se what Im gettign at?

Let us know what happens......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey /forum/post/0

Sorry for your troubles, I have a Panny and I dont like to hear about problems with their service, especially if I have to someday use it! Anyways....

The fact that the XBox does NOT show this makes me think that the display itself is OK. It has to be related to the input part of the equation. What do you mean BOTH items are connected to component #1? Please elaborate....

Sorry for the confusion. I use the Component 1 input to go through my receiver only. My receiver then controls what's being used--be it iPod, XM, network audio, cable box, DVD/SACD, Xbox Audio, whatever... (guess I'm just sort of boasting unneccessarily there, sorry)

So, the tv is mounted on the wall, cables run through the ceiling and behind the wall to the panny--makes it pretty difficult to swap things around, as you can probably imagine, but I can probably move the xbox over to the receiver and give it a shot from there. Makes good sense to do that; just have been hesitant due to how involved it feels.

Quote:

This issue is not widespread from what I have read and I try to keep up on Panny related posts.

Did you try swapping the Component #1 and #2 connections just to see if it is the component #1 hardware/board? If possible, try HDMI as well, if that clears it up then you have narrowed it down to the component connection somehow being bad. The afct that two sets did the exact same thing though lends itself to being a hookup issue somewhere. Not sure about it being a clean power situation, it would show up on the XBox then too...right?

I haven't yet, but will do so. I do not disagree with you that it appears to somehow be a connection issue, the only problem that I'm noticing is that it was not evident always on the previous set. In fact, I noticed that on Fox HD it was less noticable. From a troubleshooting perspective, I'm trying to iron it out and I'm getting flummoxxed.

Full disclosure is that I have a speaker under the TV (I cannot post links yet), but I don't think it could be giving off any interference.

Quote:

So, lets summarize:

1) Try a swap and put the gaming system on Comp #1 and the CableBox or DVD player on Comp #2. Retest.

2) Try HDMI for ALL hardware, try it with the DVD player, cablebox , and game system and see what happens.

3) Im not sure what you mean by BOTH the dvd and cable box are hooked up to Comp #1.... I thought each piece of gear needed its own set of cables and connections: Example: If I have a DVD player, a Cable Box, and an XBox then I would need THREE seperate component connections OR use HDMI for 1 of the pieces of gear and your two component inputs for the the other two. Se what Im gettign at?

Let us know what happens......

1) Will do. Hopefully this evening.

2) I don't have anything that has HDMI outs, so it's really not an option for me, unless I'm missing something.

3) Receiver is controlling the signal sent to the TV. Again, have bypassed with the same issue.

Thanks so very, very much for the response. I'm happy to get some ideas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dufusyte /forum/post/0

Sounds like a ground loop.

Try disconnecting the cable connection from the wall. If it is a ground loop, consider plugging everything into a powerstrip, and plugging the powerstrip into an Ebtech humX.

Good luck!

I have a home-run system, so everything is running as a second generation source. Now that I think about it, this particular cable line very well MAY be coming directly from an external splitter, making it third generation and being a part of the problem.

I'll double-check this tonight, as well. Very good point and thanks for making me recognize that potential issue.

Beyond that, I'm all power-stripped up.

And, last but not least, I should mention that these lines are sort of subtle; you can see them, but they're not bold and vibrant in color, but more like a slight interruption / interference in 2 places that keep scrolling up.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruZZi /forum/post/0

Scrolling lines are usually caused by ground loop (most times the cable feed is to blame). Disconnect the cable and try all other sources.

So--and maybe I'm missing something here--why would this be happening with a DVD player when the DVD player has no comcast cable running through it (although the comcast motorola box sits on top of it at the moment)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have the exact same problem with our Panasonic TH-42PH9UK plasma. We bought it 60 days ago and last Sunday we started seeing the pink line you are describing. Within a day or two we had both pink and green. Comcast was here for four hours and bypassed everything and could not fix it. We have the same tv in a 50 inch in our basement. The 50 inch does not have any problems, so we carried the 42 inch downstairs and hooked it up to the 50 inch system and the lines were still there. We rehooked up the 50 inch and the lines were gone. It seems to be a problem with the tv. I was curious if you ever solved your problem. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as we are having a baby in 10 days!!

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured out what was wrong, and unfortunately, it was my own mistake and carelessness.

So, here's what you should do:

Check EVERY single one of your lines running to/from the TV. If you're at all like me, you probably ran some lines through the walls/ceilings pretty quickly to see your new plasma in your space.

If you're at all like me, you probably ran one of your wires over some electrical or too close to a can light, and the shielding isn't thick enough to prevent interference.

The only way I figured this out was...

One day when putting in a movie, I just had my anterior can lights on and not my interior. I asked my wife to shut off the anterior and when she did I saw the lines disappear.

I nearly crapped myself.

I've moved the connections and fastened them (like I should have in the first place) and suddenly, things work.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you - unfortunately, the tv is on a stand and the only thing that the lines are sitting against are other lines going to other components on the tv stand below. Our Panasonic 8UK in the basement works fine (no lines) and when we carry the 9UK down to the basement and hook it up to the 8UK system, lines appear. If we rehook the 8UK up, there are no lines. A Panasonic technician picked up the tv and took it back to his shop. Of course, he is unable to replicate it. I really do not have any idea what we are going to do. I know that 99 times out of 100 it is interference, but because our 8UK doesn't show lines and this one does makes me think it is the tv set. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlover
Thank you - unfortunately, the tv is on a stand and the only thing that the lines are sitting against are other lines going to other components on the tv stand below. Our Panasonic 8UK in the basement works fine (no lines) and when we carry the 9UK down to the basement and hook it up to the 8UK system, lines appear. If we rehook the 8UK up, there are no lines. A Panasonic technician picked up the tv and took it back to his shop. Of course, he is unable to replicate it. I really do not have any idea what we are going to do. I know that 99 times out of 100 it is interference, but because our 8UK doesn't show lines and this one does makes me think it is the tv set. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. Thank you!!
This is a ground loop also, no problem with the Plasma even though it may appear that there should be. This is why the tech cannot reproduce the problem at his shop.

To test, plug the Plasma AC cord into a 3 prong to 2 prong ground lifting AC plug adapter. If the lines go away it is most certainly a ground loop. The adapter is not the solution however because it creates a shock hazard. As previously mentioned, disconnect the incoming cable feed that goes from the street to your cable box input and now watch a DVD. It should be without lines now. If you reconnect the cable line, the DVD will now show lines as before. The cure is to install an RF isolater from www.Jensentransformers.com model VRD-1ff. This will cure the problem without creating a shock hazard.

vrd1ff.pdf 293.73046875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings!

I have recently fell in to the same problem with my set up which is identical to the original set up explained. I am a technician for comcast so when I happened to me I figured that it was the tv as well. However as I read some of the thread replies it sparked my curiousity. So I disconnected the cable feed to my DVR and sure enough the lines went away. So from here I tried running a test drop straight from the groundblock on the back of the house to the cable box... Lines still there. So then I tried plugging the powerstrip in to an outlet on the opposite side of the house via and extension cord... Lines STILL THERE!
Finally I replaced the comcast supplied composite cable with a new Monster cable, until now I thought that monster cables were a hoax, but they are not... at least in my case because the lines are gone now. Try this and let me know if it works for you too...

·
Registered
810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyco /forum/post/12164071

Greetings!

I have recently fell in to the same problem with my set up which is identical to the original set up explained. I am a technician for comcast so when I happened to me I figured that it was the tv as well. However as I read some of the thread replies it sparked my curiousity. So I disconnected the cable feed to my DVR and sure enough the lines went away. So from here I tried running a test drop straight from the groundblock on the back of the house to the cable box... Lines still there. So then I tried plugging the powerstrip in to an outlet on the opposite side of the house via and extension cord... Lines STILL THERE!
Finally I replaced the comcast supplied composite cable with a new Monster cable, until now I thought that monster cables were a hoax, but they are not... at least in my case because the lines are gone now. Try this and let me know if it works for you too...

Your cable may have been defective. Did you try another standard cable?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have exactly the same issue, and am not sure what I should try. Here is my set up:

Panasonic 42" ED Plasma monitor (no internal tuner)

Feed is a Comcast HD cable w/PVR

Connection is RGB connection (I always mix up when this is "composite" or not...)

Managing the connections is a Denon AVR4301 home theater receiver.

I use a power trip, but it is a standard, cheap one.

The RGB cable from the receiver to the Plasma is about 3M in length and is a decent after market brand (Monster).

The RGB cable from the cable box to the receiver is supplied from comcast.

In reading this thread, it appears I need to focus on the power (replace the strip with a power conditioner), or the cable? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Kook

·
Registered
1 Posts
My solution happened when I turned off the dinning room light that was on a dimmer. The dinning rom is on the other side of the house. Seems the dimmer was sending feedback into the house current. Changed switch - my problem solved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.