AVS Forum banner

Panasonic TH50PZ800U versus TH50PZ80U

15K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  mjangus 
#1 ·
Need help.

I ready to upgrade from my Panasonic TH42PHD8UK to a 50 inch 1080p model.

I really want the TH50PZ800U but it's not available locally and would be too much to ship. The TH50PZ80U is available but there isn't a complete review at Cnet and I won't be able to see it myself before buying (it's a blind purchase).

Is there a noticable difference in the picture quality between the TH50PZ80U versus the TH50PZ800U? Should I hold off until the TH50PZ800U is available? I'm primarily concerned with picture quality.

Please note that there is no professional calibrators where live, so picture has to be great out of the box.

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmastic /forum/post/14169245

Need help.

I really want the TH50PZ800U but it's not available locally and would be too much to ship. The TH50PZ80U is available but there isn't a complete review at Cnet and I won't be able to see it myself before buying (it's a blind purchase).

Is there a noticable difference in the picture quality between the TH50PZ80U versus the TH50PZ800U? Should I hold off until the TH50PZ800U is available? I'm primarily concerned with picture quality.

Please note that there is no professional calibrators where live, so picture has to be great out of the box.

Then I think you will want to wait for the 800 because it is THX certified.

#4 ·
I've seen both the 80u and the 850u in a home, my home. I took the 80u back for the 850. The 850u is way better than the 80u and somewhat better than the 800u.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmastic /forum/post/14169944

Thanks Vikinguy, appreciate the reply.

Has anybody done any side by side comparisons? I know the 800U is THX certified but stats and certifications don't always tell the whole story.

Based on your need for out of the box PQ and what I've read here..the THX mode is off the charts.

#6 ·
There is most definitely a difference, but only you can determine how much its worth to you. People don't just pay a few hundred dollars more for the heck of it.

It's like asking if there is a difference between a Honda Accord and a Lexus. Of course there is, but for a lot of people, the differences just aren't worth the money. If you want better picture quality, more accurate colors, deeper blacks, than get the 800u. You will probably be happy either way. Either way you are going to get a good picture.

For the record, I have a Honda Accord and I just bought the 800u.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmastic /forum/post/14169245

Need help.

Go for the 800. You will be pleasantly surprised at the prices offered by some of the forum sponsors. Check with buybestplasma.com and mountavision.com. They both have great reputations for price and service.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 /forum/post/14170280

Go for the 800. You will be pleasantly surprised at the prices offered by some of the forum sponsors. Check with buybestplasma.com and mountavision.com. They both have great reputations for price and service.

I would agree. Personally I would go for the 800u there's definitely an appreciable difference in PQ between the two plus out of the box the THX mode is extremely good for a preset mode.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the various replies. It seems pretty clear I shouldn't settle for the 80U.

I live in Guam, a tiny island in the pacific (between Hawaii & Japan) so I can't really afford the shipping that comes with ordering online. It cost me round $1,000 to ship my TH42PHD8UK to Guam a couple years back and based on estimates I've gotten the price hasn't gotten any cheaper.

Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that the 800U will ever be available locally at a decent price. The 80U is on sale at navy exchange right now for $2,099 , but I'll cross my fingers and hope they eventually get some 800U's.

#10 ·
Your requirement is:

"no professional calibrators where live, so picture has to be great out of the box"

The answer is:

800U and the PQ will be excellent

----------------------------

Several months ago while at Sears for 2-3 hours I spent a good deal of time auditioning the PX80, PZ80, PZ85 (no 800 at that time). There was no question the PX85U was killing the other two just because of the 30,000:1. This was in a semi dark room, closed loop (about 1 hour) with lots of solid black screens, combined with bright colors and white (BB and CC should have a set up that good).

I had the 85U in the house for about 10 days with about 100 hours before they got it picked up. It was a Great set, and the PQ was excellent. It only went back because of a bad sound amp.

Finally the 800U arrived, will never look back!

-------------------------------

The answer is: 800U

Hopefully the 800U will become available to you soon. Good Luck!

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson /forum/post/14177715

Your requirement is:

"no professional calibrators where live, so picture has to be great out of the box"

The answer is:

800U and the PQ will be excellent

----------------------------

Several months ago while at Sears for 2-3 hours I spent a good deal of time auditioning the PX80, PZ80, PZ85 (no 800 at that time). There was no question the PX85U was killing the other two just because of the 30,000:1. This was in a semi dark room, closed loop (about 1 hour) with lots of solid black screens, combined with bright colors and white (BB and CC should have a set up that good).

I had the 85U in the house for about 10 days with about 100 hours before they got it picked up. It was a Great set, and the PQ was excellent. It only went back because of a bad sound amp.

Finally the 800U arrived, will never look back!

-------------------------------

The answer is: 800U

Hopefully the 800U will become available to you soon. Good Luck!

There's more obvious reasons why the 85u is better, but what did you really like about the 800u more? And dont just say the THX preset, did it really look any different in any of its other modes?

Actally kind of bummed that that THX replaced Cinema, since that would have been a perfect alternative for when something other than THX could be used.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut /forum/post/14180926

There's more obvious reasons why the 85u is better, but what did you really like about the 800u more? And dont just say the THX preset, did it really look any different in any of its other modes?

Actally kind of bummed that that THX replaced Cinema, since that would have been a perfect alternative for when something other than THX could be used.

Really, no way to be able to respond to your questions:

There's more obvious reasons why the 85u is better I mentioned only the CR difference because it was the most obvious.

but what did you really like about the 800u more? PQ and Sound was better.

And dont just say the THX preset, did it really look any different in any of its other modes? yes THX preset, the other presets are not even on the same planet, but hat is only my opinion.

Actally kind of bummed that that THX replaced Cinema, since that would have been a perfect alternative for when something other than THX could be used. Of course the THX is adjustable, to make want you want? And when you do, one could call it Cinema? What is in a name anyway?

All the above horses have been killed numerous times.

#13 ·
hey all...im new to this...

but i was comparing the PZ80 and the PZ800 on the panasonic web-site and the only difference in the picture quality is the THX certified. Other than that, even the panasonic rep said it was pretty much the same and the main differences came with the 'sound' (4 speakers for 800 vs 2 for the 80)

I am not too familliar with THX certification ... if anyone would like to correct me on my post...

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by saifmala2 /forum/post/14199254

hey all...im new to this...

but i was comparing the PZ80 and the PZ800 on the panasonic web-site and the only difference in the picture quality is the THX certified. Other than that, even the panasonic rep said it was pretty much the same and the main differences came with the 'sound' (4 speakers for 800 vs 2 for the 80)

I am not too familliar with THX certification ... if anyone would like to correct me on my post...

You need to look again, there are more differences than just the THX certification and i don't see how you could have missed them. And that Panasonic rep needs to get another job and stop advising potential customers.

The PZ800U also has:

Higher contrast ratio than the PZ80U

More shades of Gradation than the PZ80U

Supports 24p where the PZ80U does not

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson /forum/post/14197210

Really, no way to be able to respond to your questions:

There's more obvious reasons why the 85u is better I mentioned only the CR difference because it was the most obvious.

but what did you really like about the 800u more? PQ and Sound was better.

And dont just say the THX preset, did it really look any different in any of its other modes? yes THX preset, the other presets are not even on the same planet, but hat is only my opinion.

Actally kind of bummed that that THX replaced Cinema, since that would have been a perfect alternative for when something other than THX could be used. Of course the THX is adjustable, to make want you want? And when you do, one could call it Cinema? What is in a name anyway?

All the above horses have been killed numerous times.

eh? I didnt presume you could adjust THX mode into cinema.

My question was since THX is just a software preset, if you saw any difference in any of the other modes in comparison to the 85u (would be one way to measure any picture improvements outside of just the THX presets, to better help and see if the 800u is indeed more than just an 85u with a good THX added preset).

That's sort of why i asked outside of THX if the other modes were good, not whether they were on the same planet as THX in the same TV, but how they looked in comparison to those same modes on an 85u, when you dont have THX presets, if you'd still notice any difference.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut /forum/post/14200315

eh? I didnt presume you could adjust THX mode into cinema.

My question was since THX is just a software preset, if you saw any difference in any of the other modes in comparison to the 85u (would be one way to measure any picture improvements outside of just the THX presets, to better help and see if the 800u is indeed more than just an 85u with a good THX added preset).

That's sort of why i asked outside of THX if the other modes were good, not whether they were on the same planet as THX in the same TV, but how they looked in comparison to those same modes on an 85u, when you dont have THX presets, if you'd still notice any difference.

Ok, those questions make a little more sense. yes "standard" on 800U is significantly different than the 85U; both in adjustment flexibility and the factory default settings. Just one example: on the 800U CATs is defaulted "on" standard and "off" on 85U...............800U appears to have much more flexibility (picture, brightness) than 85U while maintaining overall accuracy........by that I mean the set 800U is able to maintain an overall better picture IMO than 85U when making adjustments (85U IMO appears to go "wacko" too quickly with adjustments). This is impossible to explain, it is something you have to live with in your home to see (or several days in a store with lots of different source material).

However, with all that said, and this applies to only "us", we do not like vivid, standard, or custom on 85U or 800U (to a lessor degree). It takes (again this is our situation only) only "tiny" adjustment on THX to make it address "all" our needs in all the light conditions we have here. Again this is one of those things you have to actually live with.

There have been a few times I could get close to THX with "custom" on the 800U.............but not close enough for my taste. There are also times I could get close with the "cinema" on the 85U, almost matching the 800U THX, without the heavy red push others had..............but still the top end and bottom end shading detail was lacking on the 85U compared to the 800U.........and that IMO is where the 800U really shines is the pure evenness of all colors from black to white - the shading detail is much greater on 800U.

#17 ·
hey...perhaps you could help us get more information...

1-as for the "Higher contrast ratio than the PZ80U"==> is it noticeable to the naked eye?...what about on a 46"?

2-More shades of Gradation than the PZ80U ==> excellent point...could you elaborate on that? (how noticeable is it? how much and how will it affect the picture quality?)

3-the pz80 has '24p Playback(2:3)' but not the '24p Cinematic Playback'

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson /forum/post/14200866

Ok, those questions make a little more sense. yes "standard" on 800U is significantly different than the 85U; both in adjustment flexibility and the factory default settings. Just one example: on the 800U CATs is defaulted "on" standard and "off" on 85U...............800U appears to have much more flexibility (picture, brightness) than 85U while maintaining overall accuracy........by that I mean the set 800U is able to maintain an overall better picture IMO than 85U when making adjustments (85U IMO appears to go "wacko" too quickly with adjustments). This is impossible to explain, it is something you have to live with in your home to see (or several days in a store with lots of different source material).

However, with all that said, and this applies to only "us", we do not like vivid, standard, or custom on 85U or 800U (to a lessor degree). It takes (again this is our situation only) only "tiny" adjustment on THX to make it address "all" our needs in all the light conditions we have here. Again this is one of those things you have to actually live with.

There have been a few times I could get close to THX with "custom" on the 800U.............but not close enough for my taste. There are also times I could get close with the "cinema" on the 85U, almost matching the 800U THX, without the heavy red push others had..............but still the top end and bottom end shading detail was lacking on the 85U compared to the 800U.........and that IMO is where the 800U really shines is the pure evenness of all colors from black to white - the shading detail is much greater on 800U.

You referenced more adjustability several times citing picture, brightness, Cats being on by default instead of off (isnt that a bad thing though? I thought we didnt like CATS) but dont both sets have those esame adjustements, and cant cats just be switched to on or off?

I guess i wasnt really aware that the 800u had any more adjustments outside of the THX preset (i thought the 850 had some more adjustments, ones which frankly probably should have been just included on the 800u as well and outmoded the need for an 850).

#19 ·
850U has a lot more adjustments; but I have no experience with it.

Yes Panasonic implementation of CATs is bad IMO (the 800U "standard" setting CAT is the closest I have seen to "almost" working correctly).

Well of course the THX 800U setting has all the settings available as all other modes on both 85U and 800U; hence IMO as soon as you start tweaking THX on 800U by definition it would become "cinema"..............all of this is of course debatable. But think about, once you start tweaking THX it is no longer THX.

For us, for all the various programs we view, and all the lighting conditions we have. We just take the THX out of the box factory default setting and we added just "+2" on "picture". In our house that yeilds the best all around picture, including live sports Saturday and Sunday afternoon with a good deal of light in the room (indirect sunlight).

We have "color managment" "on" as well; because my wife likes it that way, even if it does make some grass look like it belongs in the Easter Basket. But for movies, and most landscape shots I like it too.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson /forum/post/14201045

850U has a lot more adjustments; but I have no experience with it.

Yes Panasonic implementation of CATs is bad IMO (the 800U "standard" setting CAT is the closest I have seen to "almost" working correctly).

Well of course the THX 800U setting has all the settings available as all other modes on both 85U and 800U; hence IMO as soon as you start tweaking THX on 800U by definition it would become "cinema"..............all of this is of course debatable. But think about, once you start tweaking THX it is no longer THX.

For us, for all the various programs we view, and all the lighting conditions we have. We just take the THX out of the box factory default setting and we added just "+2" on "picture". In our house that yeilds the best all around picture, including live sports Saturday and Sunday afternoon with a good deal of light in the room (indirect sunlight).

We have "color managment" "on" as well; because my wife likes it that way, even if it does make some grass look like it belongs in the Easter Basket. But for movies, and most landscape shots I like it too.

yeah but i was pointing out how in response to the others modes looking better you commented on settings that existed on both sets as if they were extra settings that only the 800u had, as well as noted about CATS being on by default (which of course is no big deal, since it's a minor difference....although you're implying it works better/different than on the 85u, so there's that).

Basically i was wondering then what you meant hwen you reffered to more adjustability, when the adjustments you mentioned were on both tv's.

#21 ·
Spincut,

Here is a simple test you can do quickly in a store. No you are not interested in CATs but use it and you will see what I mean about more flexibility in adjustments on 800U over 85U

Try to get an 46"85U, go to factory default "standard" (reset it), and turn CAT's "on". Now do exactly the same thing on a 46"800U. Adjust picture, brightness, and color to the best you can on both sets. Surprise! You will be getting a "much" better picture on the 800U (not perfect but better). Chances are you can not get an acceptable picture on the 85U, color and gamma are so far off it is unreal. The 800U is significantly better.

Now you can do the same thing with CATs "off". Both sets will be much easier to adjust; but still the 800U will have greater flexibility in those adjustments without making the set completely "wacko".

The only reason I had you turn the CATs "on" is so that the "wacko" effect is very easy to detect; with it "off" it is a lot harder to detect (particularly in most stores - but it is still there and you should be able to see it).

One thing people get very confused on is that "picture" adjustment is not "contrast"

It appears to me (and this in very general observation-ISF folks that get into this in a 1000% greater detail could give some details), on the 800U

"Picture" adjustment = 85% contrast, 12% brightness, 3% color = 100%

So when we went up +2 on "picture" that overall increase is spread out accordingly.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson /forum/post/14201155

Spincut,

Here is a simple test you can do quickly in a store. No you are not interested in CATs but use it and you will see what I mean about more flexibility in adjustments on 800U over 85U

Try to get an 46"85U, go to factory default "standard" (reset it), and turn CAT's "on". Now do exactly the same thing on a 46"800U. Adjust picture, brightness, and color to the best you can on both sets. Surprise! You will be getting a "much" better picture on the 800U (not perfect but better). Chances are you can not get an acceptable picture on the 85U, color and gamma are so far off it is unreal. The 800U is significantly better.

Now you can do the same thing with CATs "off". Both sets will be much easier to adjust; but still the 800U will have greater flexibility in those adjustments without making the set completely "wacko".

The only reason I had you turn the CATs "on" is so that the "wacko" effect is very easy to detect; with it "off" it is a lot harder to detect (particularly in most stores - but it is still there and you should be able to see it).

One thing people get very confused on is that "picture" adjustment is not "contrast"

It appears to me (and this in very general observation-ISF folks that get into this in a 1000% greater detail could give some details), on the 800U

"Picture" adjustment = 85% contrast, 12% brightness, 3% color = 100%

So when we went up +2 on "picture" that overall increase is spread out accordingly.

Hm, ok then. I wonder then what is going on inside to make the 800u better. I was pretty sure it had the same V-real processor as the 85u, and i dont think there is any hardware or chip related to the THX (nor does it influence the other modes).

#23 ·
spincut,

The things I see that are different are:

1. Much better calibration out of the box - the THX

2. Shading detail is significantly better; sky, ocean, faces are smother from shade to shade in the same color and/or from dark to light. This is very noticable in dark shades. It makes the picture "more real" and life like, much more depth. (85U at 4,000 and 800U at 5,000). It also means there is less crushing at both ends (I could see some small amounts of crushing of the whites on the 85U that was most likely the result the calibration was not as good as the 800U).

Speaking of shading details, this is something I could (never? seldom?), see in a store; but I can sure see it at home; and as my wife says: "It's just better"

The above two items are easy for us to see; but the following item someone else that knows would have to give facts?

Some have said the plasma panel is the same in both models (85U 800U), others have said it is different? I do not know (I would think it is the same)? I have also wondered if the front sheet of glass is "tinted' or perfectly "clear" and what affect it has in all of this? I have no idea? I do know the front glass makes it a good deal heavier.

#24 ·
front glass tinted? I had actually been trying to make sure/hope that it didnt effect anything, and that you werent watching the picture through an extra layer of glass as the other displays, but rather the same amount (so the one sheet would be there anyway, just not over the bezel).

Anyhoo, i would hope the one sheet isnt any extra glass on the actual screen part than the other plasmas and has nothing extra to make the picture different.

But yeah, it would be interesting to know where those PQ improvements come from, if it's hardware (THX chip? different V-real chip?), or perhaps just better software settings in the service menu or even possibly beyond that (so unchangeable tweaks to contrast, and whatnot).

I would imagine though that irregardless that the difference between the 800 and 850 is purely software and presets. even with cnet crazy article talking about the 850 somehow having slightly better black levels

#25 ·
This thread may be dead, but there are different sets being discussed as the same. The 85U was replaced by the 850U, so the comparison should be 800U vs. 850U. My understanding (I have an 800U and love it) is that the 850U has the same screen, more settings to tweak than the 800U but no THX mode. I have not done a side-by-side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.