AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are several threads about this but I am a newbie and am getting way to confused.


I am looking for a HD camcorder with the best possible picture quality. From what I have been reading, this is the TM700.


I will not be doing any editing. The camera is strictly for family use. Once video is recorded, I want to store on Blu-Rays for future watching.


From what I read, when utilizing the TM700's best picture quality I cannot then transfer it to a Blu-Ray. I have Nero which allows me to burn Blu-Ray's but it seems that I cannot do it with this camera.


Can someone please help me out here and let me know what I need or what my options are? Thanks in advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzaba /forum/post/19563885


I have the Sony BDP-S350. Can anyone tell me if this plays 60p?

I will upload an image file that you (and everyone else) will be able to burn on a regular DVD-R disc. With this image you will be able to verify whether your BD player:


- can play AVCHD at all (I used 1080i60 @ 13 Mbit/s)

- can play 1080p60 at 18, 20, 22, 24 and 28 Mbit/s


I used MultiAVCHD to build this ISO file, it works for my Panasonic BD80 player. 1080p60 clip @ 28 Mbit/s is the original clip, not recompressed, right off the camera. Some users reported that they could not play SDHC cards pulled from the camcorder in their BD80. So... YMMV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/19568670


Right, this does not mean it can play 1080p60, because this is not a valid format neither for BD nor for AVCHD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD#Specifications

Hi, there is one forgotten factor its what is the quality of media you use. I had a 100 piece first price bundle of DVD-R and all my avchd used to block , When I printed the same project on quality dvd (Philips , Sony) it was played OK : My conclusion : Higher bitrate = better quality requierd though most recordable BR are well known brand (but maybe a bit different with this regard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni1 /forum/post/19569092


Hi, there is one forgotten factor its what is the quality of media you use. I had a 100 piece first price bundle of DVD-R and all my avchd used to block , When I printed the same project on quality dvd (Philips , Sony) it was played OK : My conclusion : Higher bitrate = better quality requierd though most recordable BR are well known brand (but maybe a bit different with this regard.

There are limitations by spec, by hardware and by media. My BD80 is capable of playing 1080p60 from a DVD disc, but at bitrate higher than 20 Mbit/s it stutters, the DVD read rate is not high enough either because the DVD cannot be spun fast enough or because of multiple read errors. When I used to burn HDV onto DVD for playing on an HD DVD player, some discs were fine, but most did stutter. HDV has 25 Mbit/s video bitrate.


But my point was that most players will not play 1080p60 no matter how good media is, just because it is out of BD/AVCHD spec.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/19569155


There are limitations by spec, by hardware and by media. My BD80 is capable of playing 1080p60 from a DVD disc, but at bitrate higher than 20 Mbit/s it stutters, the DVD read rate is not high enough either because the DVD cannot be spun fast enough or because of multiple read errors. When I used to burn HDV onto DVD for playing on an HD DVD player, some discs were fine, but most did stutter. HDV has 25 Mbit/s video bitrate.


But my point was that most players will not play 1080p60 no matter how good media is, just because it is out of BD/AVCHD spec.

---------------------------------

The higher is the bitrate = the more important is it to avoide a "bottle neck" like a bad quality dvd. You are right about other factors like bd spécifications nevertheless it is a factor that is to take in account if one fails a project because its easily avoidable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all the help but I am still confused.


I will not be doing any editing. The camera is strictly for family use. Once video is recorded, I want to store it on some sort of media to play back in the future. Should I be looking at another camera?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,075 Posts
You can always down-convert to 1080 60i within the camcorder if you see that your not ready yet. The 1080 60p files will still be saved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,630 Posts
I load my 1080p60 videos that I want to show on my HDTVs on a pair of low cost 8GB USB thumb drives and play them on my PS3 that also plays them in slow motion with audio that works very well. I also have SDHC slots on my PS3 that take 32GB SDHC cards or I could use my 30mb/sec Sandisk SDHC USB 2.0 card reader. Another option is burning the files to low cost DVD's and playing on the PS3. I could also connect an HDMI cable from one of my five 1080p HDTVs to my Mac or 6-core PC and play my 1080p60 videos in Windows 7 Media Player 12.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzaba /forum/post/19573969


Thank you for all the help but I am still confused.


I will not be doing any editing. The camera is strictly for family use. Once video is recorded, I want to store it on some sort of media to play back in the future. Should I be looking at another camera?

If you copy the original 1080p60 clips onto a DVD you will have hard time playing them because the bitrate is too high for DVD media. BD -- depends on a player, most will not play it, but some will. SDHC -- some Panasonic BD players and TVs will play it. Or you can play it on a computer.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top