AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the use of the ois button which is located bellow the iA/Manual button if I have the Hybrid ois on in the record setup menu? I want to keep hybrid ois on all the time so I shouldn't need to worry about this button, right?

If I push the ois button once, the icon is a hand with a backslash line on it. If I push it again, I see a hand inside a box with an arrow on each side, which is hybrid ois. Is this button overriding the record setup menu setting and turning off hybrid ois?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
The menu allows you to shut off hybrid and just use optical which is very good by itself. The button on the camera shuts off all IS. Say if using a tripod shut it off so you get full resolution. I sometime shut it off when in wide angle. So the button is an easy way to turn it off and on.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy /forum/post/20868162

...Say if using a tripod shut it off so you get full resolution. I sometime shut it off when in wide angle. So the button is an easy way to turn it off and on.

Are you saying shut off the hybrid IS or OIS to get the full resolution?

Also what do you mean by full resolution?

Can you explain a bit, as I also press the OIS button to turn ON the OIS to 'prevent' shaking.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Tse /forum/post/20878649

Can you explain a bit, as I also press the OIS button to turn ON the OIS to 'prevent' shaking.

Electronic stabilization can soften the image. Although with the TM90 it isn't very much loss. If not using a tripod I am coming to the conclusion its smoother to leave hybrid IS turned on.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Tse /forum/post/20878649

Just test you videos, Turn off all stabiliers and and record while walking or using the up to 20x zoom. Then do it again with it on, then use the extra stabilier on the touch screen to add even more stabilization.

"In Motion Picture Recording Mode, you can further improve optical image stabilization

by touching and holding Optical Image Stabilizer Lock icon. With this function, you

can further reduce the effects of the shake that tends to occur when using zoom.

A Optical Image Stabilizer Lock icon

1 Press the Optical Image Stabilizer button to turn the image stabilizer on.

2 Touch and hold .

≥ is displayed while you are touching the icon.

≥ Optical Image Stabilizer Lock is released when you remove your finger from the icon."

When you are holding the hand icon and move around slowly the view on the screen will seem to float. You are loosing a bit of the full res. But you don't get something for nothing.

It's your choice. I use them both at times because camera shake can ruin a otherwise good recording.

When all else fails,read the manual.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy /forum/post/20878846

Electronic stabilization can soften the image. Although with the TM90 it isn't very much loss. If not using a tripod I am coming to the conclusion its smoother to leave hybrid IS turned on.

I did shoot an outside party this weekend with hybrid turned off and it is noticably more transparent looking after reviewing it tonight. I use 1080p/60. There I more sharpness and it has more depth. So when I am walking I will turn on Hybrid but if I can stand still I think it is best to leave hybrid turned off. Some people will just leave it on because it still looks great on but I can see the difference now.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy /forum/post/20883352

There I more sharpness and it has more depth. So when I am walking I will turn on Hybrid but if I can stand still I think it is best to leave hybrid turned off. Some people will just leave it on because it still looks great on but I can see the difference now.

In short:

When you are still, then turn off both stabilization (OIS, Hybrid)

When you are moving, turn on either one.

Is that correct?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Tse /forum/post/20886688

In short:

When you are still, then turn off both stabilization (OIS, Hybrid)

When you are moving, turn on either one.

Is that correct?

Optical IS shouldn't lose any resolution. The electronic part is what throws away some resolution. After watching a half hour of video with hybrid turned off in the menus it was noticable. But hybrid isn't soft either. Just a tad less sharp.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy /forum/post/20886722

Optical IS shouldn't lose any resolution. The electronic part is what throws away some resolution. After watching a half hour of video with hybrid turned off in the menus it was noticable. But hybrid isn't soft either. Just a tad less sharp.

I agree. It's just that hand held telephoto lookes better with stabilizer on,to me. I don't like camera shake on a large screen. Mine is 61".

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaam /forum/post/20886869

I agree. It's just that hand held telephoto lookes better with stabilizer on,to me. I don't like camera shake on a large screen. Mine is 61".

Using hybrid is really free of shake and at 40x it is amazing. I can keep it still at 40x if I am planted both feet and very still with hybrid off but its not easy. I can see some shake with it turned off. Full wide its fine.

I think you should try hybrid off and see if its worth it to you. Having it on is so smooth I think its a trade off decision. Can you live without the extra sharpness? Can you live with a little shake? LOL

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Tse /forum/post/20890898

OK, I think I'll always turn the OIS on for video shooting.

I will leave mine on for sure. Only turn on hybrid for the long zooms or if I am walking a lot and can't be steady enough. One hand shooting I will use hybrid too. I need two hands to be steady enough for optical only IS.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.