22,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky /forum/post/18272480

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB2000...ist_smartbrief

I also heard this on the radio today, that Best Buy would be selling Panasonic's 3-D HDTVs at a special 50% off, so that a 50" one will cost a mere $2,500.

A nice incentive, I just wonder what 3D content a person would have to watch on one of these sets at the moment?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Uhm? The generally higher Euro MSRP is around 2500,- for the upcoming 50" VT20 series plasma, that includes VAT. The V20 non-3D unit has an 2K MSRP, so looks like we are seeing an inflated US MSRP to allow for such discounts.

·
Registered
27,424 Posts
Hell no... Laugh at those who do...

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky /forum/post/18272480

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB2000...ist_smartbrief

I also heard this on the radio today, that Best Buy would be selling Panasonic's 3-D HDTVs at a special 50% off, so that a 50" one will cost a mere $2,500.
Quote:
In the US, Panasonic is undercutting Japanese MSRP by about 30%, with the first 3D TVs ready to hit Best Buy stores as early as the day after tomorrow. A 50-inch 3D TV is likely to retail for $2,500, while special bundles (TV+Blu-ray player+3D glasses) will cost around $500 more. The company confirmed the American models will have no web access functions (without which hardly any high-quality TV in Japan gets sold nowadays).
http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/03/08...his-wednesday/

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
The panyy plasmas are great for blue ray 3-D but what happens to pc 3-d gaming and ps3 3-D gaming? For those applications and 3-D desktop the samsung led lcd seems a better fit.

Whomever wants 3-D right now will have to download the content.

Like here:

http://store.yabazam.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=32

The plasma burn in issues are of concern for pc based 3-D TV.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, it is 50% off Japanese prices, but this should be the normal MSRP for the USA (meaning it will probably be on sale for $2k in a month or two).

Anyway, this will just hold us over until the VT25 series comes out (50/54/58/65-inch sizes). I don't picture these being much more than the outgoing V10 series ($2100 MSRP for the 50").

Think of it this way - the 55" Samsung 3D LED LCD is already selling for just over $3k. No way Panasonic will be selling a 50" here for $5k. If anything, the 58VT25 will probably be $3000-3500 when it comes out.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/18275218

The panyy plasmas are great for blue ray 3-D but what happens to pc 3-d gaming and ps3 3-D gaming? For those applications and 3-D desktop the samsung led lcd seems a better fit.

Whomever wants 3-D right now will have to download the content.

Like here:

http://store.yabazam.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=32

The plasma burn in issues are of concern for pc based 3-D TV.

Plasma burn in is a myth:

http://hdguru.com/plasma-tv-burn-in-fact-or-myth/826/

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
I burnt in a fujitsu in a weekend running on a storefront, but that was 2001.

Maybe I will give it a try then, as a pc monitor.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Would you guys even buy a 3D set now? From what I understand (limited as it is) that there is more than one way to create/view the 3D effect- so are the sets available for sale in the market now, compatible with ALL of the competing technologies?

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical of it all, but the display in my great room is about ready to give up the ghost.

·
Registered
22,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have always been too early of a new technology adapter - well, except for waiting to change out my Dwin HD-700 until 2 years ago.

Will 3-D for the home even be as successful as HD DVD was?

Heck, most folks with HDTVs still use DVD with them.

Given current economic straits, do you really think the masses will pay

a biggie premium to get a 3-D set.

Will it even be as successful as Quad audio back in the seventies?

That is the question.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG386 /forum/post/18275663

Would you guys even buy a 3D set now? From what I understand (limited as it is) that there is more than one way to create/view the 3D effect- so are the sets available for sale in the market now, compatible with ALL of the competing technologies?

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical of it all, but the display in my great room is about ready to give up the ghost.

What competing technologies do you speak of?

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky /forum/post/18275850

I have always been too early of a new technology adapter - well, except for waiting to change out my Dwin HD-700 until 2 years ago.

Will 3-D for the home even be as successful as HD DVD was?

Heck, most folks with HDTVs still use DVD with them.

Given current economic straits, do you really think the masses will pay

a biggie premium to get a 3-D set.

Will it even be as successful as Quad audio back in the seventies?

That is the question.

So now the masses have become early adopters? Since when did this change take place?

The forecast for 2010 is 1 million 3DTV's sold to consumers. That sound like a mass market product to you?

LOL - the masses aren't buying BD players and they are priced at less than $100!

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have zero interest in 3D simply because the type of movies that will surely feature this technology are in general the same movies I stay away from, Avatar, Transformers and the like are mindless efforts with some special affects to fill a intellectual void. In general the same effects that will make this technology "cool" are also the same things that just dont matter to me, (ohhhhhh did you see that car? I thought it was gonna hit me!)

There are also likely few films both worthy of watching and truely the sort that this feature will benefit from, a drama, comedy and the like wont really benefit from this..

I suppose the bottom line is this sort of thing doesnt strike me as worth it.............life is already in 3D and thats good enough for me.

I seriously doubt they will sell 1,000,000 units in 2010 and suspect this will go the way of DIVX, HDDVD, Quad, 8 track, Digital Cassette and the like.

·
Registered
528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18275591

Plasma burn in is a myth:

http://hdguru.com/plasma-tv-burn-in-fact-or-myth/826/

It sure as hell is not a myth on my 2.5 year old plasma. I have a very distinct 4:3 burn in on my Panny 50" plasma. The sad thing is I don't even watch that much 4:3 content (even 2.5 years ago), but there were enough channels that still displayed 4:3 with black bars on HD feeds to have this problem.

Last I checked, none of the plasma TV companies will warranty burn-in, so IMO it's still a problem.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amt /forum/post/18277778

It sure as hell is not a myth on my 2.5 year old plasma. I have a very distinct 4:3 burn in on my Panny 50" plasma. The sad thing is I don't even watch that much 4:3 content (even 2.5 years ago), but there were enough channels that still displayed 4:3 with black bars on HD feeds to have this problem.

Last I checked, none of the plasma TV companies will warranty burn-in, so IMO it's still a problem.

Today's PDPs = not yesterdays PDPs.

·
Registered
528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18277886

Today's PDPs = not yesterdays PDPs.

Yes, but 2.5 years is that big of a difference? Will any manufacturer warranty burn-in? Until they do, IMO it's still a problem. Don't get me wrong, I love plasma, and I just can't seem to give in to LCD. My next plasma purchase will likely have to be from a place like Costco, where I can ensure there's no burn-in for the first 90 days, and send it back without hassle if it does.

BTW, Why are we discussing this in the 20k+ forum? Oh, I forgot, 95% of the threads here are here incorrectly

1 - 20 of 31 Posts