AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick question to all you Panasonic 42PW4 owners out there, I have just purchased the Toshiba 42WP16 (an exact clone of the Panasonic) and although I am extremely pleased with it one small point is bugging me.

The RGB from my Sky+ Digibox is feed via a J.S. Technology RGB-VGA converter into the PC input and all of the other devices use S-VIDEO.

Regardless of which input used, there appears to be a very slight flicker on the picture (slightly less evident with RGB). It’s particularly noticeable on the Sky menus and looks just like a 50Hz flicker on a standard CRT TV.

Is this normal?

I’m used to the rock steady 100Hz stability of my old Panasonic 36PF10, and if there is a way of removing this flicker I would really like to know.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
My Panasonic 42PW4 does not exhibit this at all. It seems fine regardless of the input. Is your power source nice and clean? I'm told they are power hungry, so maybe your getting some sort interference from that. That's my only guess...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Felgar
My Panasonic 42PW4 does not exhibit this at all. It seems fine regardless of the input. Is your power source nice and clean? I'm told they are power hungry, so maybe your getting some sort interference from that. That's my only guess...
Hi Norman,

I too have a Panny 42PWD4, SKY +, and JSimms VGA box and I'm getting exactly the same problem as you are: a slight flickering, as well as a fair amount of colour posterisation and a noticable 'shimmeing' effect. This pretty much goes away when using My DVD player through the component interface and viewing Xbox games through the J Simms convrter is spot on as well.

It must be something to do with SKY+ I think.

Steve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, at least I now know this problem isn't unique to me.

I wonder if it is a PAL problem? I have had so little time to really "PLAY" with my screen, but I'll try a R1 NTSC disc later on my Sony 7700 to see if it disappears.

Does the component input offer any advantage with your DVD compared to RGB via the J.S. Technology box?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Norman,

Connecting up by component will allow your DVD to output in progressive mode (assuming it has the capability) and the component input will also give you greater flexability in terms of picture adjustments - setting the colour level etc.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
This is definitely source-related to something outside the plasma. One of the great strengths of the Panny is the total absence of flicker, and I've confirmed this on both PAL and NTSC. Something between the dss box and the VGA converter isn't happy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spoffo
This is definitely source-related to something outside the plasma. One of the great strengths of the Panny is the total absence of flicker, and I've confirmed this on both PAL and NTSC. Something between the dss box and the VGA converter isn't happy.
I agree, it's something to do with SKY+ I think.

It's weird though, because on my old 36" toshiba the picture quality was outstanding. It was like looking through a window - it was that clear.

Is a video processor the way to go here then perhaps? Would it clear up the flickering, colour posterisation and the annoying 'shimmering effect? Or would it simply be a waste of cash?

Steve.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just got my Pioneer 503MXE up and running today.

Sky+ is being fed via S-Video into my Denon A1-SR and output to the plasma via component. The Sky+ menus are totally rock solid and the digital channels have never looked as good as they do now.

Sky+ can it seems be a very good source, so I wouldn't assume there is anything inherently wrong with it.

Mark

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Steve -

I wouldn't mess with a processor yet. A processor will clean up things like combing and improve resolution when scaling a picture from its native format to some other resolution, but flicker and posterization are flat-out defects, not just normal signal issues. My first guess is that the culprit is the VGA converter. I don't understand enough about European satellite standards, SCART plugs and such to understand why you're using VGA at all. Can you route the Sky signal directly to the s-video port and cut the VGA conversion out of the loop. My bet would be that if you do, the flickering et. al. will go away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Spoffo,

I've tried connecting it up by S-video but the picture still has flicker, noise, and colour problems. It also locks into 'zoom' mode for some reason as well.

Steve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine also has the flicker with S-VIDEO as well, although I don't have the colour or noise problems you mention.

If I display any of the built-in menus (picture, setup etc), they are rock solid even when displayed over a video picture - very strange.

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
If you're getting SVideo flicker, it's definitely from the source, since there's basically your Sky box and plasma are the only sources of the problem (there's nothing in the middle when SVideo is used).

Since there are a few of you that get the same problem, apparently it is a problem with the source (i.e., Sky).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.