AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Panasonic Touch the Future Tour

The 2010 Panasonic Touch the Future Tour will give consumers the chance to experience hands-on demos of new Panasonic products, including an amazing 3D home theater presentation. The tour will spend three days at popular venues in 15 national markets between March 15-April 17. Stop by and experience the three-dimensional future of television!

Tour Dates & Locations

(Day 1 & Day 2 hours at all locations: 11 a.m.-6 p.m., Day 3: 11 a.m.-4 p.m.)

3/15 - 3/17
New York

Penn Pavilion

401 7th Avenue at 33rd Street, New York, NY 1000

13/15 - 3/17
Los Angeles

Hollywood and Highland

6801 Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood, CA 90028

3/15 - 3/17
Chicago

Tribune 445

445 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60616

3/20 - 3/22
Boston

Copley Place

2 Copley Place, Suite 100, Boston, MA 02116

3/22 - 3/24
Phoenix

Scottsdale Fashion Square

7014 East Camelback Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85251

3/22 - 3/24
Detroit

Detroit Opera House

1526 Broadway, Detroit, MI 48226

3/25 - 3/27
Philadelphia

King of Prussia Mall

160 North Gulph Road, King of Prussia, PA 19406

3/29 - 3/31
San Francisco

One Market Plaza

1 Market Plaza, San Francisco, CA 94105

3/29 - 3/31
Minneapolis

IDS Tower

33 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55401

3/31 - 4/2
Washington, DC

Union Station

50 Massachusetts Avenue, NE Washington, DC 20002

4/6 - 4/8
Seattle

Top of the Market

93 Pike Street, Seattle, WA 98101

4/6 - 4/8
Dallas

Grapevine Mills Mall

3000 Grapevine Mills Parkway, Grapevine, TX 76051

4/7 - 4/9
Atlanta

595 North

595 North Avenue Northwest,

Atlanta, GA 30318

4/12 - 4/14
Houston

The Warehouse

813 St. Emanuel Street, Houston, TX 77003

4/15 - 4/17
Miami

Ice Palace

59 Northwest 14th Street, Miami, FL 33139

Link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Electron...at204700050013

·
Registered
HT Room: Atmos 7.1.4 with 117" 21:9 AT DYI screen & prism; Bedroom: Atmos 5.1.4 with 55" OLED
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmaster10.2 /forum/post/18295006

3/29 - 3/31
San Francisco

One Market Plaza

1 Market Plaza, San Francisco, CA 94105

1 Market "Plaza"? I think they mean 1 Market Street, which would Pee-Wee..., erm, Justin Herman Plaza at the Ferry Building.

Gonna check it out.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stop here in Phoenix is a mall that has a Sony Style Store. I plan on checking out both demos on the same day and comparing the two.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even more reason to go see the demo:

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
3/15 - 3/17

Chicago

Tribune 445

445 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60616

Yes, right around the corner from where I work and this coming Monday.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I live near Minneapolis, but I think IDS Center is a poor choice of location. I think the Mall of America would have been a better choice.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
i saw 2 3D demos at BB in orland park il.

can't wait till i can get 120" of it !!!!

·
Registered
4,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricator /forum/post/18318843

i saw 2 3D demos at BB in orland park il.

can't wait till i can get 120" of it !!!!

I'm in Chicago but get out to Orland on a regular basis. I'll be checking the demos there also and thanks. By the way, I went to the Panasonic Future Tour today and yesterday. They have a nice contest where they are giving away the 3DTV they used for the main viewing of 3D plust the 3D BD player and the glasses. If they didn't shag folks from the street themselves I'd venture to say that they wouldn't have that many folks coming through. Today they had a local Hip Hop station promoting the 3D presentation and the station so that helped draw in a more people. The 3D presentation was good and it impressed a co-worker who went with me.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I plan to go to the King of Prussia Mall the end of this week to see the demo.

Are the demos inside the mall or in a trailer in the parking lot?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to see the demo the other day here in Scottsdale and I was very impressed! The demo disk that was playing had a great mix of content from CGI (Astro Boy) to the now popular Grand Canyon rapids segment. I also thought the coral reef demo was amazing with the depth of the image. There was also a demo of the 3D version of the Avatar game and it was very good as well, adding a lot to the game play. There was also a 3D demo of a Dave Mathews concert on another 3DTV but I was not that impressed with it. I thought the glasses were fine, light weight and fit perfectly over my glasses. I did not see any cross talk on all of the different clips that I watched.

After seeing the Panasonic demo, I headed over to the Sony Style Store to see their demo. I walked into the store expecting the demo to be front and center but it was in the back of the store. I picked up the glasses and noticed right away that they felt heavy compared to the Panasonic and Samsung glasses. I put the glasses on and again was taken aback by the weight of the glasses. The demo was good, nothing that really had me go wow like the Panasonic demo. I did not notice any cross talk in the clips I saw.

Now having seen all three of the new 3DTV demos I have to say that Panasonic is the winner but that is because I think their demo had the best lighting control of the three (the demo was in a darkened space). The Samsung and Sony demos were both in stores with bright lighting. The Panasonic demo also showed a good amount of different clips with a little bit of something for everyone. The Sony demo was also strong in this regard by showing soccer and videos game clips. Samsung really needs to come out with a demo disk that shows a number of different 3D clips and just not Monsters vs. Aliens (which is good but I think showing other content would help to show the power of 3D).

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmaster10.2 /forum/post/18384670

I went to see the demo the other day here in Scottsdale and I was very impressed! The demo disk that was playing had a great mix of content from CGI (Astro Boy) to the now popular Grand Canyon rapids segment. I also thought the coral reef demo was amazing with the depth of the image. There was also a demo of the 3D version of the Avatar game and it was very good as well, adding a lot to the game play. There was also a 3D demo of a Dave Mathews concert on another 3DTV but I was not that impressed with it. I thought the glasses were fine, light weight and fit perfectly over my glasses. I did not see any cross talk on all of the different clips that I watched.

After seeing the Panasonic demo, I headed over to the Sony Style Store to see their demo. I walked into the store expecting the demo to be front and center but it was in the back of the store. I picked up the glasses and noticed right away that they felt heavy compared to the Panasonic and Samsung glasses. I put the glasses on and again was taken aback by the weight of the glasses. The demo was good, nothing that really had me go wow like the Panasonic demo. I did not notice any cross talk in the clips I saw.

Now having seen all three of the new 3DTV demos I have to say that Panasonic is the winner but that is because I think their demo had the best lighting control of the three (the demo was in a darkened space). The Samsung and Sony demos were both in stores with bright lighting. The Panasonic demo also showed a good amount of different clips with a little bit of something for everyone. The Sony demo was also strong in this regard by showing soccer and videos game clips. Samsung really needs to come out with a demo disk that shows a number of different 3D clips and just not Monsters vs. Aliens (which is good but I think showing other content would help to show the power of 3D).

LOL - thanks for the description of what clips are on the Panasonic 3D BD demo disc. People keep asking me - BB hasn't received their VT20 yet so I can't answer them as I would like to

·
Registered
8 Posts
Saw Samsung's C7000 demo today in a local store, man did it not impress. Barley any depth perception as they played Monsters vs. Aliens 3D Blu-ray. I managed to get a sneak peek of the 54VT25 earlier in the week with the demo of the Grand Canyon and fish like noted above and wow clearly Panasonic has the 3D down pat. LCD will have a good time trying to keep up with plasma on this one, I can't see how anyone who experiences both 3D technoligies would ever choose anything but PDP.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by versace /forum/post/18385934

Saw Samsung's C7000 demo today in a local store, man did it not impress. Barley any depth perception as they played Monsters vs. Aliens 3D Blu-ray. I managed to get a sneak peek of the 54VT25 earlier in the week with the demo of the Grand Canyon and fish like noted above and wow clearly Panasonic has the 3D down pat. LCD will have a good time trying to keep up with plasma on this one, I can't see how anyone who experiences both 3D technoligies would ever choose anything but PDP.

The Samsung 3D PDPs ship next week. Should be interesting to see how they do against the Panasonic.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18384769

LOL - thanks for the description of what clips are on the Panasonic 3D BD demo disc. People keep asking me - BB hasn't received their VT20 yet so I can't answer them as I would like to

Here's a rundown of what's on the Panasonic demo disc at Best Buy:

1. A woman playing with two cute, cuddly puppies. Awwww.

2. Astro Boy - animated trailer.

3. Grand Canyon footage - spectacular.

4. Footage of Rome.

5. Mariachi Band

6. Game demo (car racing)

7. Coral Reef footage

8. Motocross

9. Drag Racing

I'm probably missing one or two clips from that list. The only time I can specifically recall seeing any ghosting in the Panasonic demo is when the train is taking off from the station in the Grand Canyon clip. The spokes of the train wheels, close up in the frame on the left side, show some ghosting. That was the only instance, but I did see it a couple of times.

All I've seen on the Samsung 7000 LCD is Monsters vs Aliens. Some stores just have a clip reel from the movie running. Other stores have broken open a Starter Kit and have the whole movie for demo.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18385974

The Samsung 3D PDPs ship next week. Should be interesting to see how they do against the Panasonic.

I asked at a Best Buy Magnolia store today about the bigger sets. They didn't have any info about when they were arriving - no pricing that the guy could find, either. They did tell me that they would not display the larger sizes, because of the money it would tie up in inventory. I understand that, but I'd never buy a 50" 3D set. The bigger the screen, the more 3D pulls you in. Cameron is saying that when you watch Avatar in 3D, kick the coffee table aside and move your chair as close as you can. The silliest thing I heard a Best Buy salesman say was that I was standing too close. He said the recommended distance for viewing that 50" set was 8-9 feet. I just moved my chair closer when he said that. I was about 5 feet away, and it was still too far.

Interestingly, Cameron said he edited Avatar on a 50" monitor, so he saw it at that size for months during the editing process. Of course, when you edit you're often only about 3-4 feet from the monitor.

·
Registered
710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark /forum/post/18386226

Here's a rundown of what's on the Panasonic demo disc at Best Buy:

1. A woman playing with two cute, cuddly puppies. Awwww.

2. Astro Boy - animated trailer.

3. Grand Canyon footage - spectacular.

4. Footage of Rome.

5. Mariachi Band

6. Game demo (car racing)

7. Coral Reef footage

8. Motocross

9. Drag Racing

I'm probably missing one or two clips from that list. The only time I can specifically recall seeing any ghosting in the Panasonic demo is when the train is taking off from the station in the Grand Canyon clip. The spokes of the train wheels, close up in the frame on the left side, show some ghosting. That was the only instance, but I did see it a couple of times.

All I've seen on the Samsung 7000 LCD is Monsters vs Aliens. Some stores just have a clip reel from the movie running. Other stores have broken open a Starter Kit and have the whole movie for demo.

Interesting, there may be more than one version of the demo circulating. At my BB Magnolia the Panasonic demo did not, as I recall, have the cuddly puppy scene, but instead had a bunch of European clowns. It had several nature scenes and a beach volleyball game from New Zealand. Also included a few sports features including basketball and baseball. Had a bike race instead of the motocross (or is that the same thing) and no drag racing. The other clips you mention except for the auto racing game clip were included though. Most impressive of all was a water raft ride (I believe also filmed in New Zealand) with the water splashing up and seemingly right onto your 3D glasses. (All told there was about an hour of 3D content and I watched all of it. Most impressed!)

I'm still waiting confirmation as to whether this is the 3D demo that is included with the Panasonic Blu-ray 3D player or if the demo with the player is some abbreviated version. I can't believe no one here on this forum has purchased the Panasonic 3D TV yet along with the Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player. I see a few have grabbed the Samsung though. [If anyone reading this has purchased or confirmed what is in the box with the Panasonic 3D DVD player as far as the demo please inform us.]

That demo was so good I might even buy the Panasonic DVD 3D player now just to get it regardless of what brand of 3D TV I end up purchasing. (I already purchased two pair of the Panasonic glasses expecting they will be in short supply beyond the one pair that comes with the TV.)

(Right now it is most likely between the Panasonic Plasma 3D 58 inch model coming out in July or the 55 inch LG coming out in May that reads MPO files so I can directly view my 3d photos I have taken with my Fuji Finepix 3D W1 camera.)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello all. I am current working the tour as a contractor for Nvidia. My job is to run the 3d gaming kiosk. We are demonstrating Avatar and Need for Speed Shift using Nvidia's 3dTVPlay software and Nvidia GPUS. Today is the last day of the tour (Miami). I have worked the NY, Boston, SF, and DC stops before this one. Let me know if you have any questions and thank you for the great feedback so far!

·
Registered
10,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis /forum/post/18497267

Hello all. I am current working the tour as a contractor for Nvidia. My job is to run the 3d gaming kiosk. We are demonstrating Avatar and Need for Speed Shift using Nvidia's 3dTVPlay software and Nvidia GPUS. Today is the last day of the tour (Miami). I have worked the NY, Boston, SF, and DC stops before this one. Let me know if you have any questions and thank you for the great feedback so far!

I'm curious as to how the tour was received as you made your way around the country. Watching people day in and day out as they experienced 3D must have been revealing. As the tour ends, do you have a general impression about the level of peoples' excitement and acceptance of the technology? (I'd appreciate it if you could take off your nVidia hat for a couple of minutes and speak to any more general feeling you may have about how people reacted.
)

The reason I ask is that I'm curious what people think when they actually see a demo, not how they may feel in the abstract. I have a theory that people who actually see good 3D are going to like it, while those who don't are more likely to look for reasons why it won't succeed. That theory may be a lot of hooey. Even a lot of AVSers (who are more tech oriented) seem to feel that 3D will not become mainstream. Maybe it's too much to ask of someone who's just been through the tour, but I'd appreciate as much objectivity as you can muster. Pretend that I'm your best friend. We're having a couple of beers at the end of a long day on the tour, and you're feeling a little sick of 3D yourself. What do people really think?

·
Registered
113 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts