Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I am on my third TU DST 51. The first two I returned because they simply did not do anything- did not even receive the NTSC channels. I called tech support at Panasonic and I was told to send the units with a deposit of $1200. Instead I took it back to Sears. Tech support also told me that it could be the antennea. No, that was not the problem because my trustworthy DTC 100 was running like a champ and still is with the Winegard antenna.

The reason to have one is obvious. So I went ahead and got another one fron eBay. This one tuned all of the NTSC channels easily. I was encouraged. I then did a channel search for HD channels. WALLA!!! It tuned all the 5 available channels. It worked- or so I thought. When I started to watch the channels they worked but after about 20 minutes, the picture broke up and so did the audio. There were simply lines and heavy pixelization on the screen. I tried again tonight. Same problem. This one works-but partially. I dont know what to do. Can any one of you please advise and help?

------------------

·
Registered
135 Posts
The TU-DST51 is not as sensitive as the current generation of HD receivers and you may need a better antenna. However, I've seen two 51s that work better if the nut which fastens the HD tuner's F connector to the chassis is loosened (or removed). Somehow taking tension off the connector/tuner can fix intermittant pixillation problems.

Charles

·
Registered
146 Posts
Also consider heat. The DSTs are very sensitive to heat build up. I suggest you totally seperate your DST from other components for at least testing to see if it helps.

------------------

Dave
DVD Tracker List

·
Registered
887 Posts
I've had both problems and both got "fixed"! The unit is on the top of the rack with good airflow also around the underside and is only on when I'm watching it. The F-connector is definitely another problem and it's somewhat flaky - there's a thread from a few days ago ( http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/013996.html ) which you should check out since it deals with exactly this issue. I had not seen the fix that Charles proposes but it completely fits with my problem and its fix - perhaps loosening the Fconnector nut releases the tension in the connector to PCB link and makes it more "stable" - I just jiggled it into submission. A pre-amp may also help boost the signal enough so it stays over the threshold...

Andy

[This message has been edited by AJSJones (edited 05-30-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.