AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried a search, but couldn't come up with anything, so maybe I have the model # wrong. Anyway...

Is this what one would need to receive local HDTV broadcasts? CBS does HDTV and both FOX and ABC near me have a little HDTV programming, so with my new 47" Panny HDTV, if I added this box or one of the later models, would this do the trick for me? I have found almost no information on Panasonic's website in regards to their new TU-HDS20, so I am unsure if the TU-DST50 will do what i want, with no other boxes or receivers in the mix.

I plan on buying used, as retail is just way too much money when you can get a DISH 6000 for less.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Where did you get the DST-3000 and for how much? I am probably not going to be able to get DISH here, due to install issues, so Antenna HDTV is my only option and I'd rather watch TV at 480p or 1080i than windowboxed off cable, which looks horrible. That also helps eliminate the risk of burnin of the gray bars.

Out the box picture looks positively terrible on this set. Real puke. I did some initial tweaking to get it out of torch mode and DVD via 480p looks perty decent. It's been on for about 3 hours now and I will do some more adjustments as the day progresses.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I purchased a DST-3000 from someone at HTF for $400 shipped. I wasn't going to spend more than $500 on any STB. I haven't had any experience with other STBs so I can't compare the product. The program guide is no where near as nice as my old Sony DD non-HD receiver but I didn't think it would be. It will work for now because all I need it to do is pull OTA and HBO-HD. I ran my cable TV feed straight to the Panny because it looked like crap going through the STB. It really doesn't look too bad in Full Mode. My local Digital NBC feed has everything except Leno in 4:3 mode so I hate to watch it like that.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes, the TU-DST50 might do the trick but it is only a HD/DTV decoder and has nothing to do with Dish or DirecTV. All you need is an antenna to go with it for OTA reception. Any of the other boxes like DTC-100, DST-3000, Samsung T-150 etc. will also work. I say might because some boxes pull in signals better than others. I have a DST-3000 with my 47" Panny and there are some things I like and dislike. Since I just got my TV last week, I need another week or so to work out the reception and other kinks!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found an open box DST51 at BERNIES in Orange CT and they wanted $800 for it. I had to laugh at them. They thought it was the deal of the century. I said no thanks and walked.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Is there a more economical box that works on antennas alone for those who cannot get HD by dish?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish. If you have a Mitsubishi HDTV, then their receiver will work for you and can be had for about $300, if you can find one. TWEETER in Milford CT has one left at that price. Manual, cables and remote, but no box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.