AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to find out what revision software is in this model? I have one and the date is Jan. 1999, so I an wondering if the did any updates after this date. I called Pannasonic, but they were no real help.

I found the backdoor in a previous thread that displays the PLUGE pattern and some tests, but no real sw revision info.

I am specifically interested in any updates that might be related to PSIP and the program info part, which mine does not display, as well as bug fixes to channel mapping, etc.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Warren

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
I don't think any changes of the type you mention have been available. The only real upgrade I have heard of is the replacement of bad Shotsky(sp?) IC's that caused color pixelization, better known as the blue sparklies.

There are persistent rumors about any "50" also getting 5C implanted, if it gets sent in to Panasonic for any service. This has not been confirmed, but as soon as program providers start using 5C, we will probably know for sure.

As to the PSIP, almost no stations are using the program info part at this time. I don't think the 50/51 can display it anyway, it's not mentioned in the owners manual. You should get the channel ID, though. This function can be turned on/off in the setup menu. Most channel mapping problems originate at the local DTV stations, I've not heard of the 50 having problems with station ID or channel mapping.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a pair of Panasonic boxes - the TU-DST50W and TU-DST51A.

The last production runs of TU-DST50W tuners were around January - February of 1999, so you should have the latest mod. Unfortunately, you may also have the original (incorrect) Schottky integrated circuits, so if your unit runs hot, you'll see blue sparkles in dark areas on the screen.

Schottky is a term describing a certain type of high-speed semiconductor construction, and dates back almost 30 years. I believe it is named after someone (most certainly). Schottky ICs can get plenty warm, and I suspect Panasonic was running the wrong ICs at the wrong voltages. (This information about the problem with the TU-DST50W ICs came from Panasonic's Advanced TV Labs about a year ago.)

This is a 100% warranty fix. As for Panasonic installing 5C on repaired units, I would suspect that is an urban legend. Why would Panasonic go to all the trouble to install software and hardware to enable 5C copy protection, when the standard hasn't even been yet agreed on by manufacturers and content producers? That would certainly be foolish.

Even though CEA has just announced support for IEEE-1394 FireWire with 5C, there are still many steps to be taken before 5C becomes the de facto standard - if it does.

The Panasonic TU-DST50W does both physical and virtual channel mapping. It doesn't particularly care about "illegal" channel assignments, like the "80-X" PSIP sent out by PBS on their satellite DTV feed and rebroadcast by many PBS affiliates.

If it encounters two PBS stations with the same virtual channel ID, it simply maps one of them using the physical channel. No big fuss.

This tuner will not display program info - just channel info. With the fix, it's not a bad tuner, although the second-generation boxes are about 6 dB more sensitive.

Of course, should you ever find the PV-HD1000 D-VHS VCR to go with it, you can use it to tape DTV programs.

KC

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
From what I have read and heard, I do believe the 50's when fix do get 5c code. I know the firmware is the same part number when it comes back but the checksums are different.

My replacement is supposed to arrive today. If in the future, the 5c is an issue, I will just get the old firmware and put back in.

dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.