AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a used DST-51 HD STB(for use to record OTA HD on a JVC 30K DVHS) and have some questions about this unit. Does this work flawlessly for this function?

Also, how good is the DST-51 for pulling in distance OTA HD stations? Is it as good as my current STB the Samsung T-150?

Finally, can I use the component outputs of the JVC 30K to playback the HD shows that I recorded off of the DST-51, or does all playback have to run throught the DST-51 too?

Thanks!

·
Registered
469 Posts
merc,

I recently purchased a JVC 30k and had an old DST50. I have found the 2 to work well together, unless one is shut off, then I must play with them to get them talking to each other again. This may just be my used box I purchased though.

You can use the component video out of the JVC straight to your tv to show your recorded video. I am not sure on the long distance tuner. Hope that you enjoy your setup!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by merc
Also, how good is the DST-51 for pulling in distance OTA HD stations? Is it as good as my current STB the Samsung T-150?
No.

The TU-DST51 is a 1st generation DTV tuner. Your Samsung has a reputation of being one of the best, if not the best DTV tuner ever. I would call it a 3rd gen tuner, maybe 4th depending on how you count. In any case, the Samsung should outperform the Panasonic by a wide margin.

Having said that, I use a TU-DST51 to record local DTV at about 20 miles from the transmitters with no real problems. I use an outdoor antenna with preamp & rotor, roof mounted 20' off the ground. I would suspect if your in a less favorable area for DTV reception, the difference could be a deal killer.

Do a little searching on this web site for detailed info on DTV tuners comparisons: http://www.projectorexpert.com/

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
toshiba5 and Ken: Thank you very much for your suggestions and help!

Based on what I've read, I'm nixing the idea of buying the DST51. I live around 50 miles from the towers which is probably too far away for the Old Panasonic unit. But, luckily, I do get reception in the 80+ for all HDTV channels on both my Samsung and HiPix tuners. Instead I'm just gonna buy a firewire card, Windows XP and a nice new component looking black case for my HiPix HTPC. Then, I guess I'll just continue doing what I've been doing with timeshifting HDTV and eventually buy and use the JVC 30K for offloading HDTV movies that I want to keep.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by merc
I have a chance to buy a used DST-51 HD STB(for use to record OTA HD on a JVC 30K DVHS) and have some questions about this unit. Does this work flawlessly for this function?

Finally, can I use the component outputs of the JVC 30K to playback the HD shows that I recorded off of the DST-51, or does all playback have to run throught the DST-51 too?

Thanks!
Be careful. Do some searches here. There are firmware and compatability problems with Panasonic tuners and the JVC. Some work, some don't.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I use a DST-51 to receive ATSC signals from about 100 miles away a Channel Master 4228 antenna and Titan Amp. My DTC-100 registers signals strengths in the 80-90s. The DST-51 doesn't indicate signal strength, it just works.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.