AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experiencing intermittent audio dropouts from my Panny STB. I want to be clear about this. I'm not talking about digital audio dropouts on movies shown in 5.1, that happens also. I'm talking about completely lost audio, digital and analog ports, high pitch squeals that last .1 seconds, then a restart, and everything is fine, usually.

On my very first day with the unit four weeks ago, there was no sound until I restarted it a couple of times. Customer help line had some ingenious recommendations, like, "use the analog audio ports connected to my TV instead of my theater system" and, "don't use the cables that came with it, go buy better ones." I wanted to give the unit more time, so I let it ride for a bit.

Three weeks goes by, no lost audio, then, this week, four or five times. My wife even said, "are you going to give up this satellite stuff so we just go with cable. Urgh.

Called Panasonic again today. Today's suggestion, "as a test, hook the unit's analog audio outs to the TV just to see if it is your surround processor." Also, "use the basic cheap cables that some with the unit."

They also ruled out "the EMI" issue for this case, which has been commented about in this forum.

I actually really like 85% of this boxes features and functions. (Wish resolution was remote controllable and wish there was a second RF in) Yes, it is new and I have early adopteritis, so I guess it won't be perfect, but, if anyone is experiencing these problems, please call Panasonic and let them know so they eventually see there is a problem with these units.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had a similar problem with my Panasonic TU-HDS20, but it was not exactly the same. The audio would drop out on Directv channels 199 and 501 but only on the Toslink digital output. They told me not to use any MonsterCable products (which they said had been causing problems) That sounded crazy to me. They told me to use the cables that came with the STB. There was no Toslink cable included in the box. After several phone calls they agreed to replace the STB which they did, and it completely solved the problem.

Larry Raulston

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You really have to be tough with Panasonic. They gave me the EMI and cable shpiel and I made like I was following their directions and nothing improved. In the end, I lost all audio on all digital channels, sat and OTA. They shipped me a replacement unit and everything works great. They bad news is they sent me a refurb unit and the fan is even louder than my last unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.