AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well can anyone sell me on one of these boxes? I own a Sony 36xbr450 Wega. I know the Sony puts out 480i and 1080i so I

don't have to change inputs. I can watch tv with my component inputs hd or sd. The Panasonic does some better work with the video formats but I wonder if I can watch everything through the component inputs also. I sold my Dtc-100 because it only output 1080i so you had to watch everything in 16 x 9 unless you switched over to the s-video input. Need to buy something just want to make sure first.

The remotes seem to stink on both of them.

Please help need more input also are there any other boxes that might beat these two?

Thanks Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
I traded in my DTC-100 for the Panny TU-HDS20 and I have to say that it's really awesome. The picture quality is awesome and can do 480, 720, and 1080 (as long as your set is capable). There are a bunch of modes you can choose and you can set it to upconvert certain signals only instead of all like the RCA is set to.

The only thing I don't like about the Panny is that it runs hot and the guide is too slow. But it's worth the sacrifice for the great beautiful picture.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Although some may disagree, I think the HD100 is far superior. I also have a 36" Sony XBR450. The HD100 does have its drawbacks (OTA lip sync, fan noise, guide freeze) but it still blows away the Panny.

Why? Because the Panny is so slow that it borders on ridiculous. It's impossible to channel surf and the guide is virtually unusable. I also think that both SD and HD picture quality is better on the HD100, but that's more subjective. I definitely get more OTA dropouts on the Panny and I could care less about APG.

I can't wait for the Zenith!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GoCaps:
Although some may disagree, I think the HD100 is far superior. I also have a 36" Sony XBR450. The HD100 does have its drawbacks (OTA lip sync, fan noise, guide freeze) but it still blows away the Panny.

Why? Because the Panny is so slow that it borders on ridiculous. It's impossible to channel surf and the guide is virtually unusable. I also think that both SD and HD picture quality is better on the HD100, but that's more subjective. I definitely get more OTA dropouts on the Panny and I could care less about APG.

I can't wait for the Zenith!

Hmmm let me see ... where do I start?

OTA Lip sync? zip on the Panny.

Fan Noise? Had the hardware mod done by Panny .. fan is real quiet now and it shuts off when the power is off.

Guide freeze? never been a prob with the Panny

Channel surf? Maybe .. but I do use the Panny only for the HDTV picture quality which many people more knowledgeable than myself have admitted that the Panny is hands-down superior.

OTA drop-outs? Check your antenna .. not a problem with me.

Care less about APG? Me too.

Bottom line is that Panasonic has addressed many issues with the TU-HDS20 that Sony has not with various other components I have and, probably, the HD100 as well. My loyalty has definitely shifted toward Panasonic and this is from someone who had enjoyed Sony products for 30 years.

The Zenith? Remains to be seen.

IMHO.

·
Registered
211 Posts
GoCaps, what version of software is your Panny running? The slow menu issue was corrected on version 7.4.

Since receiving the upgrade through D*TV in June, I have been very pleased with channel navigation and guide refreshes.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Another thing to consider about what gocaps said is the size of the monitor which he is using. The difference between 1080i and 720p on a 36" screen may not be all that great, but on a truly big screen, it may be quite different.

I have ordered the panasonic, but won't have it set up on my CRT for a couple of months yet. I am expecting good things since the sweet spot for my CRT is 720p.

------------------

Yes sir, I'd like to increase my credit limit!?

IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE SEEING HDTV, BAN HDCP, DVI, 5C!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do have the software update (version 7.4), but its still really slow. I could just be used to the Sony. Also, something really annoying is the Panny will delay for a couple seconds and then respond to several remote commands at once. Maybe I have a defective unit.

HTbuph, I'm not sure I understand the screen size/720p comment. I agree that a 36" direct view may not totally reveal PQ differences between two STBs, but doesn't 720p get converted to 1080i on my XBR450? I still think OTA HDTV and SD DirecTv look better on the HD100, but that may just be me. HDnet looks fantastic on both.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.