AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at an advertisement for this receiver and saw something about it converting the HD signal to SD or NTSC. Does anybody know if this receiver has incorporated the new HD copyright protection scheme or will it still deliver full resolution HD content to analog devices?

------------------

Yes sir, I'd like to increase my credit limit!?

IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE SEEING HDTV, BAN HDCP, DVI, 5C!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just called panasonic. I tried to explain the HD copyright protection to them to help them understand my question of whether or not the protection was incorporated into the receiver. I don't think that they understood my explanation because they only said that since my television was HD capable, that the receiver will work with it to display the HD signal. So I am still left in the fog about whether or not this receiver incorporates the copyright protection.

Can anybody help me on this question?

------------------

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
IT has some kind of protection built in. Occassionally on a NTSC channel with marginal reception, I have received a message along the lines of "Copyright protected material; switching to 480 format" or something like that. There's also disclaimer in the manual about viewng copyrighted material. Exactly what is built in is an open question, but there's something.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Accourvil,

Does that message come up when watching an HD channel?

------------------

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I've never had it come up while watching HD. The only times I've seen it are on NTSC stations with a very week signal, making me think that what is really happening is that it is being triggered by bad data. It does force a resolution change (from 720p to 480 something). So I think that it is evidence that the capability exists, but I suspect that no one is broadcasting the flag or code that triggers it in any of the current HD offerings.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep. It sounds like the receiver requires a minimum signal strength before it will upconvert to 720p.

I finally talked to somebody about this particular receiver. They told me that it does not have the copyright protection. He knew what I what asking about which was different than the first person I spoke with. He also didn't believe that the copyright protection was going to succeed in the near future.

Anyway, the local installer, whom I told I was interested in getting the panasonic, and whom was trying to sell me the RCA DTC100, had checked on the same question for me. He called the RCA sales rep who told him that the panasonic did not play directv HD channels, only OTA. When the local installer told me that, I didn't believe him and thought the sales rep was either ignorant or lying about the panasonic. I checked into it anyway. The panasonic does work with directv HD channels. Makes me wonder about RCA.

------------------

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Probably just out of date. I bet they were referring to the Panasonic DST50 or 51; those were OTA only.

>>He called the RCA sales rep who told him that the panasonic did not play

>>directv HD channels, only OTA. When the local installer told me that, I didn't

>>believe him and thought the sales rep was either ignorant or lying about the panasonic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.