AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a note about my experience with the Panasonic upgrade process.

I purchased my TU-HDS20 earlier this year. It was manufactured in December, 2000. I had experienced some dropouts on OTA channels here in Orlando but not enough to make me want to do anything about it.

I recently added DirecTv HD capability due to the availability of HDNet. The dropouts on HDNet and HBO were so frequent as to make them unbearable to watch. At the same time, the dropouts on the OTA channels increased in frequency and as a result I reached the point where I had no choice but to take advantage of the hardware upgrade offered by Panasonic. I learned about this upgrade thanks to postings on this forum.

I sent my unit to the service center in IL on Oct. 2 and it arrived back home yesterday, Oct. 17. I probably watched HDNet and HBO for an hour or so in total last night and had 0 dropouts (knock wood). It's amazing what a pleasant experience watching HDTV with no dropouts can be!!

Also, as part of the upgrade, the fan noise problem was fixed. The noise level has decreased dramatically to the point where the noise situation has gone from annoying to non-existent.

In conclusion, I want to applaud Panasonic for the way that they are handling the situation and I would encourage anybody who experiences either the dropout problem or the fan noise problem to take advantage of the upgrade program offered at no expense to the consumer by Panasonic!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Add my name to the list of satisfied customers. Bought my unit in January. Hadn't been having problems with dropouts, but the fan noise was noticeable in our family room. Sent it in late Sept for the upgrade work, and it came back yesterday. It's noticeably quieter. All else is working fine.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
i just bought me a panasonic tu-hds20 last week. it was manufactured in feb 01. i received the software upgrade that night. i have gone through the process of getting the address for the hardware upgrade and am waiting until monday to send it off. (can't miss hdnet hockey programming) thanks for giving me a time frame of how quick you received it back. i just have a few audio dropouts, but when it warms up it doesn't happen anymore. i'm a little dissapointed with the directv features. (fav ch only 1) it's not a very good directv receiver, but a great decoder!

did panasonic pay for return shipping? if so what method?

thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bachelor
did panasonic pay for return shipping? if so what method?
Yes. Panasonic did pay for return shipping and sent it by Second Day Air.

Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I to just acquired a Panasonic TU-HDS20 this past week. It was manufactured in March of 2001. It does have vent holes on both sides of the case and though the fan is noticeable when you're right next to it, I don't consider it excessive. I haven't yet experienced any video or audio dropouts as mentioned, although I don't have a lot of hours on the unit.

I'm wondering if there's any way of checking to see if the modifications have already been done at the factory? Did the sides always have some sort of vent holes or were they solid prior to mod?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Erps
I'm wondering if there's any way of checking to see if the modifications have already been done at the factory? Did the sides always have some sort of vent holes or were they solid prior to mod?
I don't recall whether the sides were vented previously but I feel safe in saying that if you don't consider the noise to be excessive now, the modifications have been done. Prior to the modification, the fan noise was quite noticeable IMHO.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just got my Panasonic STB yesterday from ************** and it has MARCH as the manufacture date. It also has slots in the side for venting. I can hear the fan easily from 15 feet away, I assume that is excessive.

I called the support number and they said that they thought it should be upgraded already, but had no way to tell. I am going to send it in tomorrow just to be sure.

Tim

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tczupka
I called the support number and they said that they thought it should be upgraded already, but had no way to tell. I am going to send it in tomorrow just to be sure.

Tim
I think that you're wise to send it in. The rep. I spoke with at the support center told me that the software upgrade delivered via DirecTv would fix the fan noise and the drop out problems. It's obvious that the software upgrade had no effect on those problems but was intended to improve the slow menu and guide speed problems.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ralph Erps,

I have not installed it all the way yet - not activated Direct TV. I am activating it today - the installer had to come back to get my 5th line working. Also, I don't have my stealth antenna yet.

But I will be sending it in before I notice any obvious problems. It can't hurt.

Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.