AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1494 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to create this thread to have simple compilation of Picture Settings that you are using on your V10. Please post your settings and let us know how you like it. This tread will be beneficial to newbie like me to just look at this thread try some posted settings on our own V10.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bump

I am currently using the CNET settings, but would like a few other configurations to try out. One thing I would particularly like to see is a configuration that is able to set the black level to low, while not taking away too much from the shadow detail.

The CNET settings look good, but I really love the way the picture pops when I set the black level to low. Only problem with that is that it obscures very dark scenes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me put my settings here, it is pretty much CNET but I use HD Size1 because of the vertical green thing when watching Comcast.

--Picture menu

Picture mode: Custom

Contrast: +100

Brightness: +67

Color: +31

Tint: 0

Sharpness: 0

Color temp: Warm 2

Color mgmt: Off

Digital Cinema Color: Off

C.A.T.S.: Off

Video NR: Off

Zoom adjustments: [grayed out]

PC adjustments: [grayed out]

-- Pro setting submenu

W/B high R: +10

W/B high B: +4

W/B low R: +2

W/B low B: +3

Black extension: 0

Gamma adjustment: Mid

Panel brightness: Low

Contour emphasis: Off

AGC: Off

--Advanced picture submenu

3D Y/C filter: Off [grayed out]

Color matrix: HD [grayed out]

Block NR: Off [grayed out]

Mosquito NR: Off [grayed out]

Black level: Light

3:2 pulldown: Off [grayed out]

24p Direct in: 60Hz [or 96Hz with 1080p/24 sources]

HD size: Size 1

H size: Size 1 [grayed out]

·
Registered
683 Posts
EDIT :

Latest now in my signature

I am now using new METERED settings that I posted here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1038

Metered results POST SD Card f/w 1.28 here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1174

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most people seem to like CO1's settings. Not sure which one of them. I use my own settings as per the link above.

Btw, before I go there, I tried the CNET settings. Except for a reduced contrast and a much lesser value for Color. Settings were done AFTER a 120 hr slide break in. If you did NOT break your set in[/color], your aging of phosphors would not be comparable and the results could be different. If you break in your set using normal viewing, it will (theoretically take longer than 120 hrs to get to a comparable state.)

Break-in procedure (applies to V10 too ) : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...99&postcount=1

Next thing I want to make a point of is that I used the THX mode as a reference point for realistic skin tone color, whites (with less tint) and good blacks. Everytime I made a change, I would switch from Custom to THX to do a comparison. I also realized that using perfect scenes where skin tones were under perfect lighting were not the best for me to base my settings. If I could get average/good material to look good, good material should look very good.

With that said, I had to throw away the CNET settings because IMHO

1. Warm 2 was great for pop but it produced unnatural shades (for me) and whites turned offwhite

2. Contrast at 100 was too much

3. Color was too much

4. Driving R high was saturating reds that were already pushing at 0.

To test whites and the difference in color temps of Normal, Warm1 & Warm2, use another reference like a PC monitor and see the WHITE slide on the SD card using these color temps, you'll probably notice what I'm seeing/saying. You can also choose screens with smaller portions of white, if you think that made a difference. I've looked at white backgrounds like white tiles, white shirts etc. For me, it was a compromise. I did see Warm 2 add some depth to the picture. But (for me), it often darkened/tanned/warmed the color noticeable in skin tones that *I* did not like. Normal at times seemed to add a slight bluish tint with high red cut. But driving it back up made skin tones red. So for me, it was a compromise to my liking.

Right now, I'm testing it with the following settings

CUSTOM [Standard] settings

Contrast = 75

Brightness = 70

Color = 29

Tint = 0

Sharpness = 10

Color Temp = Normal

All other settings = OFF
[Normal also seems to brighten the pop of the picture from what I see. Some might feel it adds a blue tint. You need to to try both for a few days each AND TEST WITH THE SAME PICTURE FRAME to have a fair comparison.]

PRO Settings

W/B high R = -7 (reducing skin tone redness)

W/B high B = +2 (to get a better white given other changes)

W/B low R = -16 (again, to get better skin tone without redness)

W/B low B = +5

Black Ext = 0

Gamma Adj = Normal

Panel Brightness = Low

----
Edit : slimoli was absolutely correct. Last night, I happened to have the Sportscenter background paused and was testing Standard versus Custom. I immediately noticed detail in Standard and I had to raise brightess to at least 70 to get it to show. Standard shows more detail but I think it loses a bit of color satuaration for weaker colors. Will have to check again and over time.

----

Right now, compared to THX, skin tones have about 15-20% more "pop" to them and so does the rest of the pic. Whites look decent and to my eyes, I dont get any green/yellow/blue tints. If you are curious to try them, I would suggest you try your best setting first. It may be CNET. THEN, choose several scenes where you find a skin tone oversaturating or something where you find the color questionable. Comparing it to THX will show you this quickly. Pause it if you have DVR, toggle between THX and your setting. Then use PRO to try and tweak it closer to THX but still having the benefit of color pop that Custom provides.

And I dont watch it in a dark room at all. And the pic is good with a decent source. Sometimes excellent depending on the source (all DISH satellite btw). So far.

It appears that THX does not prevent you from setting a color value that is say too low like 10 or too high like 60. So I guess you should set those sensibly before you compare it to THX.

If you have cable/dish and dont have DVR, I would recommend adding that service for 1 month. You can freeze frames and rewind and retest with different settings using the same frame/scene. It will just cost about 5 bucks. But at least, you will be able to test it properly.

·
Registered
683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpandme /forum/post/17062420

Here are 2 settings that work well for my HD viewing. I think I'm leaning towards the second one.

Let me know what you think.

Panasonic TC-P54V10

--

I think your color temperature setting is waaaaay waaaay too high. I have mine at just about 26 and its not even on Warm. And I dont have any less color. At 60+, I must imagine the Walmart torch settings would get a complex.

IMO, I think your sharpness is also high. They create artifacts beyond a point.

·
Registered
683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc571 /forum/post/17071100

getting mine in a few weeks (on order). Did you guys break yours in? What were your break in settings?

I used what D-Nice recommended as he said in one of his posts that it was based on the advice of engineers who design the NeoPDP panels.

Btw, use an SD card to avoid the risk of your DVD freezing.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiotitis /forum/post/17071693

I used what D-Nice recommended as he said in one of his posts that it was based on the advice of engineers who design the NeoPDP panels.

Btw, use an SD card to avoid the risk of your DVD freezing.

What post is it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can someone share a link to D-Nice's Panasonic V10 (TC-P58V10) burn in settings. I did a couple of searches and could not find it. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature boy /forum/post/17073154

Can someone share a link to D-Nice's Panasonic V10 (TC-P58V10) burn in settings. I did a couple of searches and could find it. Thanks.

I also want to know the link cause ive been reading like crazy and i just cant find those settings!

·
Registered
96 Posts
****UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD THESE SETTINGS BE USED WITH ANY OTHER SOURCE MATERIAL BEYOND THE BREAK-IN DVD OR THUMBDRIVE FILES****

Recommended 120 Hour Break-In settings for all 12G Panasonic models (ONLY to be used with Evangelo2's Break-in DVD or Thumbdrive Files!!!!!!!!)

*****Note: This procedure is designed to ensure the reference settings listed below provide maximum satisfaction. This procedure is NOT designed nor recommended to be used solely as Image Retention and/or Burn-in prevention.*****

Picture:

Picture Mode: Vivid

Contrast: 100

Brightness: 55

Color: 65

Tint: 0

Sharpness: 50

Color Temp: Cool

C.A.T.S: Off

Video NR: Off

Advance Options

MPEG NR: Off

Black Level: Light

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto2 /forum/post/17073657

I dont think D-nice posted any settings for the V10.

I think you are correct sir. I searched multiple different ways. Does anyone have suggestions for break in settings when not running the dvd or sd as in watching tv?

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiotitis /forum/post/17070832

I think your color temperature setting is waaaaay waaaay too high. I have mine at just about 26 and its not even on Warm. And I dont have any less color. At 60+, I must imagine the Walmart torch settings would get a complex.

IMO, I think your sharpness is also high. They create artifacts beyond a point.

Thank you for your feedback and settings. I'll give them a try. I also started with the Cnet settings and tweaked it from there by going back and forth between "Vivid" mode and Custom. While in vivid mode and watching sports I liked how clear and defined the numbers were on the jerseys while being blurry in Custom but the colors in Vivid were terrible. I have absolutely no experience in calibration nor do I have any calbration equipment or DVDs. I'm going on my own personal taste and feedback from you guys.

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 1494 Posts