AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, so I have pretty much narrowed my TV purchase to one of these three TV's they are all about the same price and there all 2010 models.

Two are plasma one is a LED.

Mostly I use the TV for gaming I would say room light isn't a huge issue my primary goal is to have a TV that has excellent natural color (no dynamic stuff) I self calibrate my TV's with a color spectrum chart and a brightness box chart so I am a minor video-phile. I also feel like 120 hz is a gimmick I turned all those features off on my UNB6000.

I humbly ask for your advice here on which one you recommend or if you recommend something else for under $1500 (at least 45").

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Samsung makes a nice plasma, the C550 is the way to go. The picture quality on Samsung's plasma most resemble CRT technology. They're light weight, stylish, and more energy efficient. I

think LED backlit lcds can be too buggy, don't do as good shadow detail, yet the colors are nice and the blacks are pretty good.

The 50G20 is a good set, but it's rising black levels stink. It's gamma is way off, making for a blown out, overly light picture, I'd pass.

This thread should be in Flatpanel general and new flatpanel tech, though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, yeah I thought thats where I was posting it tbh. I'm new sorry.

But thanks for the advice, the Samsung is 200$ less, so thats a plus.

I haven't owned a plasma before but I see they seem to be popular around here.

Is burn in still an issue?

I play a lot of games and it's not uncommon for say a menu or something to be in the same spot for hours and the added risk that I sometimes leave the TV idle with games on (bad habit I know).

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I would keep the contrast/ cell light lower than their highest settings to prevent burn-in- at least for the first 200-300 hours. They've probably got a pixel orbiter, or something that can clear any sort of image retention.

Burn-in is harder to achieve. You'd have to probably be playing video games, with static images and the contrast jacked all the way up for hundreds of hours before the set breaks in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I didn't take your advice. I got the UN46C5000.

The plack levels on the Plasma were way to dark.

Dark things like shadows just looked black.

I played around with the settings on both for about an hour at best buy and the LED just had a better picture.

Plus it's a sexy 1.2" and gave off less heat.

I'm sure no matter what i'll wish I bought the other one lol.

But anyways thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I just got it set up and all I have to say is WOW.

I use a color spectrum chart and a grey scale to calibrate my TV's and I can honestly say I have never seen a tv that was able to show as many shades of color as this one and so easily was able to show the full greyscale.

I am glad I picked this TV, which is strange normally I have buyers remorse about everything. And this is with dynamic turned off too.

Samsung really improved the C class over the B class.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The main reason I want a Plasma is for gaming because the blurring in fast games is noticeable to me on an LCD. Mostly when I play racing games like MOTOGP '07 on the XBOX 360. Have you played anything fast like that on the LED TV that would show how well it avoids blurring? I'm leaning towards purchasing the Samsung PN50B860 due to its great picture and anti-judder/smooth cinema features, but if there was a cheaper option from Samsung that was just as good but lacked features I will never use like widgets, I'd definitely be open to that because the B860 is at my max budget.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts