AVS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 1270 Posts

·
Editor
Sony VPL-VW295ES, Denon AVR X8500H, GoldenEar SuperSub XXL, GoldenEar Triton 7 speakers, PS5 Pro
17,387 Posts
The AX900 65" will be under $8K. That's from Panasonic.

·
Banned
144 Posts
The OLED is a more attractive beast...sounds like they'll both be surfacing at the same time, perhaps with a slightly lower street price on the AX900.

·
Rabid 3-D Aficionado
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
The OLED is a more attractive beast...sounds like they'll both be surfacing at the same time, perhaps with a slightly lower street price on the AX900.
How so? Look, I'm not an OLED hater or even a Panasonic fanboy (in fact, I was gun-ho for the Toshiba L9400U until it dropped 3D). Having said that, I have concerns with televisions being curved, with burn-in and fading. I've also read that OLED sets can have issues with motion resolution and input lag. Unless an OLED TV manufacturer can produce a set that is reviewed and found to be without those problems during the next month-in-a-half or two, Panasonic's Ferrari -the AX900- is going to end up in my living room.

·
Registered
20,722 Posts
The AX900 65" will be under $8K. That's from Panasonic.

7999 ;) that's under 8k

How so? Look, I'm not an OLED hater or even a Panasonic fanboy (in fact, I was gun-ho for the Toshiba L9400U until it dropped 3D). Having said that, I have concerns with televisions being curved, with burn-in and fading. I've also read that OLED sets can have issues with motion resolution and input lag. Unless an OLED TV manufacturer can produce a set that is reviewed and found to be without those problems during the next month-in-a-half or two, Panasonic's Ferrari -the AX900- is going to end up in my living room.

Input lag while important to gamers is not important to the majority of buyers. Most are buying OLED for watching TV and movies and at least from what I hear are amazing to watch at home. The motion resolution had been a hotly debated topic, while the initial MR numbers are "low" you don't see ass many people complaining about it as you would think due to those numbers. Sometimes numbers don't tell the entire story ;)

Sent from an system/360

·
Rabid 3-D Aficionado
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
7999 ;) that's under 8k

Input lag while important to gamers is not important to the majority of buyers. Most are buying OLED for watching TV and movies and at least from what I hear are amazing to watch at home. The motion resolution had been a hotly debated topic, while the initial MR numbers are "low" you don't see ass many people complaining about it as you would think due to those numbers. Sometimes numbers don't tell the entire story ;)

Sent from an system/360
Points well taken. I'm hoping that the growing OLED tide is resonating in the marketing/pricing divisions at Panasonic. There's only so much value a company can put on 3D LUT and whatever other features the AX900 will have that OLEDs won't (because they're not needed like, e.g., local dimming). If the PQ is the same or similar, I'm guessing that most consumers will buy the less expensive OLED sets.

·
Editor
Sony VPL-VW295ES, Denon AVR X8500H, GoldenEar SuperSub XXL, GoldenEar Triton 7 speakers, PS5 Pro
17,387 Posts
Points well taken. I'm hoping that the growing OLED tide is resonating in the marketing/pricing divisions at Panasonic. There's only so much value a company can put on 3D LUT and whatever other features the AX900 will have that OLEDs won't (because they're not needed like, e.g., local dimming). If the PQ is the same or similar, I'm guessing that most consumers will buy the less expensive OLED sets.
It's no longer 100% clear that OLED is the only road forward ;-)

·
Rabid 3-D Aficionado
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
The AX900 is certainly evidence of that, but at what cost?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Anyone have information on whether the 900 has a fan or what the power consumption is? I don't want a TV that generates a lot of heat-one of the reasons I took back the VT60 plasma.

·
Editor
17,387 Posts
The AX900 is certainly evidence of that, but at what cost?
Look to the AX800U for guidance. Panasonic said "under $8K." The AX800U debuted at $4499, now it costs $3000.

I'm going to offer a spoiler for my article. At yesterday's event, Panasonic had 5 TVs set up. One of them was a Sony OLED professional mastering monitor, displaying true reference color. Only one TV in the room looked essentially identical to that Sony.

·
Rabid 3-D Aficionado
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Anyone have information on whether the 900 has a fan or what the power consumption is? I don't want a TV that generates a lot of heat-one of the reasons I took back the VT60 plasma.
No, there has been no official release of that info (at least not in English) despite that the UK spec sheet states that power consumption ratings would be made available by August 29th.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
OLED has ABL kick in also so the whites aren't as bright just like plasma. Basically the only thing OLED has over plasma is contrast ratio. Now if the AX900 can truely put on a 0% black and of course have the awesome whites that LED tvs have, then it could be really good competition for OLED.

·
Rabid 3-D Aficionado
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
Look to the AX800U for guidance. Panasonic said "under $8K." The AX800U debuted at $4499, now it costs $3000.

I'm going to offer a spoiler for my article. At yesterday's event, Panasonic had 5 TVs set up. One of them was a Sony OLED professional mastering monitor, displaying true reference color. Only one TV in the room looked essentially identical to that Sony.
I commend, and in small way curse ;), you for being so tight lipped with info. How about telling us when your article will be published?

·
Banned
144 Posts

Personally, I'll be waiting for the inevitable 65EC9700 versus AX900 comparisons. Viewing in utter darkness, the 900 will need to have a helluva algorithm to come out ahead.

As for ABL, it's been practically invisible on actual content (unlike plasma) versus patterns, so that's another nonconcern up to this point.

Some of you may be tickled pink to have a single display tech as the only choice, but even less options is a step backward in my view.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I know you can't answer but... new flat panel technology outside of LCD and OLED?

I remember avjunkie, on the other forum, mentioning in passing that Panasonic's R&D was "experimenting" with different technologies. Very hush, hush. Sony's SED went nowhere. Perhaps, Panasonic has made some unknown progress in new technologies.

·
Editor
17,387 Posts
Personally, I'll be waiting for the inevitable 65EC9700 versus AX900 comparisons. Viewing in utter darkness, the 900 will need to have a helluva algorithm to come out ahead.

As for ABL, it's been practically invisible on actual content (unlike plasma) versus patterns, so that's another nonconcern up to this point.

Some of you may be tickled pink to have a single display tech as the only choice, but even less options is a step backward in my view.
The fact is all a TV has to do is match a monitor like the Sony. From what I have seen the LG cannot do that.

OLED is great but it is also great to have LCD that can compete with it.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
I know you can't answer but... new flat panel technology outside of LCD and OLED?

I remember avjunkie, on the other forum, mentioning in passing that Panasonic's R&D was "experimenting" with different technologies. Very hush, hush. Sony's SED went nowhere. Perhaps, Panasonic has made some unknown progress in new technologies.

Hyperfractionated local dimming (LED partial drive), WCG, HDR Quantum Dots, etc.

·
Banned
144 Posts

I doubt it. I'm pretty sure he's referring to nursing LCD's wounds in perpetuity here.

261 - 280 of 1270 Posts