Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying my first Plasma. Here's my background:

My theater has a Barco 9" CRT front projector running at 1080p on a 110" screen.

My Bedroom has a Princeton AF3.0HD 30" CRT monitor.

My kid's rooms have JVC HV-M260u professional 26" CRT monitors.

My living room HAD an RCA f38310 38" CRT which had a gorgeous picture except for the barrel distortion on the sides. This is the room where the Plasma will go.

Now the story: I recently helped my friend install his new Panasonic TH42PA20U in his house. The whole time I was telling him what a mistake he made buying a 480p plasma, and that he should have bought an HD model.......until we turned it on. I have now decided that contrast ratio is way more important than resolution on a Plasma, especially if the viewing distance is any significant amount. His model lists 4000:1 and the picture had so much depth and life to it, I was very impressed.

I can't believe I'm replacing the f38310 with a non-HD display, but......This display is not for theater use, just watching the news or a DVD occasionally. I sit 10 feet from where the plasma will go, and I don't want to spend over $3000.

My choices are the Panasonic TH42PWD6UY for $2900 or the JVC GM V42UG for $2500. The JVC claims 3000:1 and the Panasonic claims 4000:1. I've heard that the JVC uses the same glass as the Panny, don't know if it's true. I've found no reviews of the JVC on the web, and am wondering if anyone has any side by side observations or experience with either model.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by J_Nemeth

My living room HAD an RCA f38310 38" CRT projector
That's a Direct View TV :)

Quote:
have now decided that contrast ratio is way more important than resolution on a Plasma, especially if the viewing distance is any significant amount. His model lists 4000:1 and the picture had so much depth and life to it, I was very impressed.
No Geometric Distortion , Even Light Output and Perfect Focus Across the Entire Screen

Plays a big role in Plasmas PQ

Quote:
I've heard that the JVC uses the same glass as the Panny, don't know if it's true
Most likely. Panasonic is the only one that claims 3000:1 CR for a 42" Display. Similar design and the fact that Matsushita owns JVC.

Quote:
The JVC claims 3000:1 and the Panasonic claims 4000:1
With 16.77 million colours the JVC is using previous generation glass

( From Panasonic ??? :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Jay-

To the best of my knowledge, the JVC unit has been out for awhile (read that as older model) and is not based on the newer 6 series Panny glass. JVC industrial have not introduced replacement new models yet. I cannot comment on PQ, but assuming they are the same, the Panny PWD6UY has a little more flexibility given the optional slot configuration, which includes a Dvi/HDCP – I don’t think the industrial JVC has that.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Gx35
That's a Direct View TV :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Brucer
Jay-

To the best of my knowledge, the JVC unit has been out for awhile (read that as older model) and is not based on the newer 6 series Panny glass.
The Plasma FAQ here on the forum lists the GM-V42UG as a 2004 model. Is that a mistake? Is it possible if it is the new model, could it be the same panel as the Panny? And, should I even care?

·
Registered
29 Posts
the jvc model you have indicated is the commercial model, I think it has a samsung glass(please don't quote me on that).

from what you wrote, i think the consumer model is better, pd-42wv74 is the edtv, it has a media box, attached speaker(good if you are not going to hook it up to a ht system), dvi input on the media box, and it only cost slight above the panny commercial model which is back ordered to who knows when.

I saw the jvc commercial edtv, it didn't impress me much but the wv74 knocked my socks off. I come from crt projection background as well(nec xg85 w/htpc @ 720P).

good luck in your search!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good info, thanks charlycui. I didn't realize the consumer and commercial animals were that different. Anybody know how long the cable is to the media box?

·
Registered
127 Posts
The cable is approximately 10', you can get a longer version by checking the JVC website (I believe that you can get up to a 30' length).

Wv74 and WX84 consumer models have three cord attachements to the plasma screen from the media box: a) separate power cord; b) DVI cable and c) VGA type connector. b) and c) are combined in one enclosed cabling.

The media box also has its own power cord.

I have the WX84 model and cannot be more pleased. To be honest, I chose the HD version solely for resolution issues and ecpected future HD broadcast expansion. However, you are correct in that the ED model has a gorgeous picture, and the higher contrast ration of that screen really brings out a rich, deep picture image.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Jay-

The consumer models WV74 & WX84 just came out in the fall, even though the FAQ page refers to them as 2003 models, they are a newer release then the V42 industrial. The real question, other than PQ, is if the features of either model is better suited for you at the price delta mentioned.

·
Registered
660 Posts
There were several comments about the accuracy of the information in the FAQ brand index in this thread.

Here's the scoop. I wouldn't totally trust the information that is there. It was originally assembled during the holiday seasons from magazines I had laying around the house (exceptions Panasonic/Pioneer - where I was allowed to copy the previous work of Glauco Bruzzi). If the magazine was dated in 2003 that's where I put the model. If the magazine was dated 2004, and the model wasn't in 2003 I moved it to 2004. The information is as good as what's in those magazines minus my typos.

We are now up to three volunteers - this means that I have about 50 brands to maintain. Now that the holiday season is over I can maintain about a brand a week.

Let's see this means that JVC (in the middle of the alphabet) will probably be updated in say in June 04.

I suggest you check the edit date at the bottom of each page - this will give you some idea as to when it was last given some attention.

·
Registered
19 Posts
are the bottom speakers on the jvc wv74 removable?

·
Registered
19 Posts
what about hooking up a pc to the jvc? it doesnt mention any specific vga/pc sort of input, and that is a feature i really want.

here are the listed inputs:

DVI Input w/HDCP

_Smart Input

_2 Auto Sencing Component Video Input (on Tuner Box)

_3 S-Video Inputs (on Tuner Box)

_4 AV Inputs (on Tuner Box)

_RF Input (on Tuner Box)

_

what is a smart input? why no VGA/PC input listed like most other units? how/can i hook up my mac to this thing? with what input?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked at the JVC at Ultimate Electronics today, I didn't see any vga connector on the media box. By the way, I thought the media box would be some kind of dongle type breakout thing, but it's a huge component size box like a receiver.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the wv74 model and the picture can't get any better for an edtv in my opinion. I looked at them all and I think the jvc had more advantages. Great picture, media box for easy connections and convenience, competitive price, New model, Anyone buying this plasma will be very pleased with this selection, I recommend it highly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you would like to purchase from an authorized JVC dealer, the JVC Web Site has a dealer locator; This shows logos with links to authorized Internet Dealers on the right side of the window. I believe the dealers starting with V and CD offer the PD-42WV74. You can check ratings for resellers at pricegrabber, cnet, epinions, etc.

I would like to know if anyone has been able to compare the Panasonic Commercial displays to the JVC's and if the "extra features" add up to a superior product offering, or if you have enabled/disabled/selected these features to see differences in performance within the display.

Here are a few features that the JVC PD-42WX84 (and PD-42WV74?) seem to have that Panasonics are lacking:

D.I.S.T. 770p (Digital Image Scaling Technology)

Digital 4 Point Color Management

75MHz Digital Super Detail (DSD)

Selectable Velocity Scan Modulation

I have not been able to locate much detail about these features and or a downloadable manual - does anyone with a manual have more info?

I have also noticed some"stairstepping" or "jaggies" on graphics such as logos on the WV74 that seems to be more prominent than other displays - any comments on this?

Thanks,

Lee

·
Registered
29 Posts
no vga input for the jvc on the media box and only 1 dvi input like most of the panels out there. the "vga" type of cord that's connected between the media box and the panel i think its some sort of jvc proprietory plug. the jvc is also capable of 720p input which the consumer panny can't.

·
Registered
19 Posts
so no vga input on the media box means there is no way to hook a computer to this thing? or is there another way? puzzled...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.