AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear that the more that I research, the harder it is to choose. I'll be watching blu-ray movies and playing networked games, and maybe 1hr/week of TV watching if that.

I like Samsung, because they don't have the black level issue and I like the PQ more.

I like Panasonic, because they appear to have a lower input lag for gaming, but they have the black-level issue.

So what the heck do I do? I'm sitting 14ft away, so 50" is the smallest that I can go, but I'd like to be in the upper 50s if possible. Looking to spend under $1500, non 3D. Any thoughts? I'll take care of the deal hunting. Much of the recommendations are prior to the news about the black level issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bueller? I'm hoping to buy within the next week. Are black-levels that big of an issue with a Panasonic that I buy today? Are input lag issues that big of a deal with Samsungs?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
.. recommend Samsung PN58C550 (or C590); better processor & adequate blacks. Believe there's also a newer (non-3D) version, but have to research that. Also, (fwiw), the 58" C550 rated v. good in recent CR issue.

ot: Samsung PN58C6500; do not know diff. fm C550; priced higher also.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Depends on the Panasonic panel. I wouldn't consider the S2 or lower models - too many issues. Only compare Sammy to GT/VT models. JMO.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was in your same boat a few months ago. I needed a 50" Plasma for gaming and bluray. I had narrowed my choices down to the Samsung 8000 and the Panasonic VT25. I chose the VT25.

What I did was go to HHGregg and get them to hook the PS3 up to both TVs. I took my Spiderman 3, Incredible Hulk, and Live Free or Die Hard Blurays. I also took Super Street Fighter IV, MLB The Show 2010, and Killzone 2.

In short, the VT25 won HANDS down for me. The key reasons were:

1) Input Lag

2) Overall more REALISTIC picture quality

As far as the input lag goes, I could not stop the pitching meter accurately in MLB The Show on the Samsung without putting it in Game Mode. However, I could not get Game mode on the Samsung to look as good as THX mode on the Panasonic. I preferred the natural look that the THX mode provided to my games in comparsion to the extra contrast and sharpness that both Game modes provided. The closest mode on the Samsung to THX was Cinema mode. But in that mode the input lag was unbearable. The advantage for the Panasonic is I could use THX mode, which I've since calibrated, and not notice any difference in input lag. Huge plus for me.

As far as picture quality goes, the Sammy has more pop, and some will prefer the wow factor that provides, I much prefer the THX Mode on the Panasonic. The PQ just looks more realistic in my opinion as far as colors and black level goes. For me, looking at the Panasonic picture is like looking out a window, where as the Sammy is like looking at a stunning portrait. When viewing the Sammy I found myself and others saying, "look at the clarity of the picture". Where as with the Panasonic we were saying, "it feels like I can just reach through the set and touch Bruce Willis.". I don't know if that makes sense to you what I'm saying, but that was the best analogy I could give LOL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a pioneer plasma now, but I have been disappointed with some of the Panasonic displays. The Samsung LCD displays have never disappointed me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maukey /forum/post/19514011

I was in your same boat a few months ago. I needed a 50" Plasma for gaming and bluray. I had narrowed my choices down to the Samsung 8000 and the Panasonic VT25. I chose the VT25.

What I did was go to HHGregg and get them to hook the PS3 up to both TVs. I took my Spiderman 3, Incredible Hulk, and Live Free or Die Hard Blurays. I also took Super Street Fighter IV, MLB The Show 2010, and Killzone 2.

In short, the VT25 won HANDS down for me. The key reasons were:

1) Input Lag

2) Overall more REALISTIC picture quality

As far as the input lag goes, I could not stop the pitching meter accurately in MLB The Show on the Samsung without putting it in Game Mode. However, I could not get Game mode on the Samsung to look as good as THX mode on the Panasonic. I preferred the natural look that the THX mode provided to my games in comparsion to the extra contrast and sharpness that both Game modes provided. The closest mode on the Samsung to THX was Cinema mode. But in that mode the input lag was unbearable. The advantage for the Panasonic is I could use THX mode, which I've since calibrated, and not notice any difference in input lag. Huge plus for me.

As far as picture quality goes, the Sammy has more pop, and some will prefer the wow factor that provides, I much prefer the THX Mode on the Panasonic. The PQ just looks more realistic in my opinion as far as colors and black level goes. For me, looking at the Panasonic picture is like looking out a window, where as the Sammy is like looking at a stunning portrait. When viewing the Sammy I found myself and others saying, "look at the clarity of the picture". Where as with the Panasonic we were saying, "it feels like I can just reach through the set and touch Bruce Willis.". I don't know if that makes sense to you what I'm saying, but that was the best analogy I could give LOL.

It absolutely makes sense, thanks. I just went and looked at the TVs in person, and the VT25 with incredible in the theater room. I'm looking at the GT25 right now, because they have 50" GT25 with 3D kit and Blu Ray for 1,475 via Panasonic's EPP. 50" is smaller than I'd like, but that's an incredible deal. Any thoughts on this or others?

·
Registered
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatham7 /forum/post/19514664

It absolutely makes sense, thanks. I just went and looked at the TVs in person, and the VT25 with incredible in the theater room. I'm looking at the GT25 right now, because they have 50" GT25 with 3D kit and Blu Ray for 1,475 via Panasonic's EPP. 50" is smaller than I'd like, but that's an incredible deal. Any thoughts on this or others?

That does seem like a good deal, better than Costco's 3D bundle.

How do you get EPP deals though?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whoops, just read about not mentioning price here. Sorry, I'm new. But anyway, it looks like I'll probably go with the GT25.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts