AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me tell you, I went to the store going to look at the 65" VT25 plasma,but was fairly underwhelmed. I then saw the UN65C8000 and was utterly blown away by the 3D realism and the life-like colors of the tv. Idk why everyone loves the plasma. They had a demo clip of Black Swan w/Natalie Portman playing on both tvs & they were one tv away from each other and the Samsung LED seemed so life-like it was ridiculous. Contrast ratio on Samsung blows the Panny away:

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...702#tabsection

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/...XFXZA-features

corrected

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
While your observations may be true for what you saw, I'd be hesitant to base a purchase on those observations due to a number of factors beyond your control:

The store lighting: if overly bright, an LED-LCD will almost always look better than a plasma due to inherent greater brightness of the technology. Put both in a light-controlled room, typical of an evening at home and you might prefer the plasma due to better blacks. Also it depends on store setup: i.e. the plasma might have been set up correctly for a typical family room environment and the LED-LCD might have been in "torch mode".

Contrast ratio measurements are mostly a marketing numbers game. I don't pay much heed to them. btw, you put in two identical links, so the comparison is difficult.

Plasma has its merits, and LED-LCD has its merits. Which works best for an individual usually isn't based on how they look in the big-box store showroom under fluorescent lighting (unless that matches your family room environment
).

However, if you like LED-LCD better, then good for you. I have a (non-LED) LCD regular 2D 52" display because it worked better than plasma in the lighting environment of the room. But today, I would seriously consider the plasma for 3D as it seems to handle motion blur and minimizes crosstalk compared to LED-LCD, and sacrifice a little brightness.

IMHO, YMMV,

shinksma

·
Registered
82 Posts
I completely agree with JLENNERTH , I've seen the 3d on the panasonic plasma, sony 800 and samsung 8000 and for the life of me I dont know what people are seeing on these plasmas because what I've seen is extremely dark picture with no better 3d effects than the sony and samsung have ,I just dont get it! also the sony and samsung 2d pic seems to be superior over the plasma. I dont know maybe i haven't got to see enough 3d material on the different tvs but I didnt even notice any of this crosstalk or ghosting, the one thing I did notice with the sony was the pic in 3d seemed to at times have a juttering effect , kinda like a small shuttering effect of the glasses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's based on people's opinion watching demo material in retail stores with the LED TV's that are very bright and blistering colors that grab your attention. Then they watch a few scenes of 3d demo material in the store and of course realize that they have found the holy grail. All the professionals who have put these TV's thru tests, on meters and have calibrated them for the most accurate picture they can, are all wrong in there conclusions.

If you want a LED just say that's the reason or it's thin or cheaper or I like the cosmetic look better or I want a certain brand. If you like a bright inaccurate picture and in your opinion that looks better to you buy it. But opinions can't change facts, the VT25 is simply the best 2D & 3D tv you can buy this year for the best picture quality.

·
Registered
772 Posts

Quote:
All the professionals who have put these TV's thru tests, on meters and have calibrated them for the most accurate picture they can, are all wrong in there conclusions.

Not so. Not "ALL" professionals think that the VT25 has the best PQ in 2010. Remember, in the 2010 HDTV shootout, some of the professional calibrator judges actually ranked the Sony NX810 #1 in terms of PQ for 2D, above both the VT25 and the Sammy C8000 plasma.

Just keeping it real here.

·
Registered
443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsbose /forum/post/19650609

If you want a LED just say that's the reason or it's thin or cheaper or I like the cosmetic look better or I want a certain brand. If you like a bright inaccurate picture and in your opinion that looks better to you buy it. But opinions can't change facts, the VT25 is simply the best 2D & 3D tv you can buy this year for the best picture quality.

Under ideal conditions (arguably as posted above).

A lot of people operate their TV under less than ideal conditions most of the time, and LED TV's can offer a better quality picture under these circumstances. Otherwise all the plasmas in the store would be set to torch mode with blistering colors, and the lower prices would have killed LCD/LED a long time ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts