AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is going into the wrong sub-forum, I'm a newbie here and this seemed the most fitting...

1) Connecting Wii to Panasonic VT30

I'm trying to hook my Wii up to the TV using the standard yellow+red+white RCA plugs that it came with, but am getting no audio and no video when I toggle to the "Comp" Input channel (or any other input channel for that matter). Is there something specific I need to do on either my TV or Wii to get them to work together? Or do I need to get a different cable (HD Link or otherwise) to be able to get the Wii to work (and why)?

2) Connecting the Panasonic VT30 to our wireless signal

I tried using an Airlink101 Wireless 11N Mini USB Adapter on the TV, but while it -appears- that the TV is picking up an IP address, is there anyway for me to choose the specific wireless signal it should be using, and if the signal is encrypted (WPA2 or otherwise), how and where do I input the key?


Thanks in advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishagenaden /forum/post/20872246


Sorry if this is going into the wrong sub-forum, I'm a newbie here and this seemed the most fitting...

1) Connecting Wii to Panasonic VT30

I'm trying to hook my Wii up to the TV using the standard yellow+red+white RCA plugs that it came with, but am getting no audio and no video when I toggle to the "Comp" Input channel (or any other input channel for that matter). Is there something specific I need to do on either my TV or Wii to get them to work together? Or do I need to get a different cable (HD Link or otherwise) to be able to get the Wii to work (and why)?

2) Connecting the Panasonic VT30 to our wireless signal

I tried using an Airlink101 Wireless 11N Mini USB Adapter on the TV, but while it -appears- that the TV is picking up an IP address, is there anyway for me to choose the specific wireless signal it should be using, and if the signal is encrypted (WPA2 or otherwise), how and where do I input the key?


Thanks in advance!

Component output is video only and has a red green and blue plug. It also has a white red plug for audio. You need a special cable for the WII which will allow you to get 480p resolution.


The other things you mention should be in the network settings menu.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon /forum/post/20873340


Component output is video only and has a red green and blue plug. It also has a white red plug for audio. You need a special cable for the WII which will allow you to get 480p resolution.


The other things you mention should be in the network settings menu.

Thanks, chunon. Strange that the Wii can't work with its standard RCA plug, especially since the sticker on the back of the TV does appear to explain where the yellow-white-red RCA plugs should each go, if used. But I'll research more about the special cable I guess.


As for the network settings menu, I played around with it, but did not see any option allowing me to select a particular wireless signal, or input a WPA2 key (much like what you'd do on a PC). Should I be expecting to see that option somewhere?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishagenaden /forum/post/20873943


Thanks, chunon. Strange that the Wii can't work with its standard RCA plug, especially since the sticker on the back of the TV does appear to explain where the yellow-white-red RCA plugs should each go, if used. But I'll research more about the special cable I guess.


As for the network settings menu, I played around with it, but did not see any option allowing me to select a particular wireless signal, or input a WPA2 key (much like what you'd do on a PC). Should I be expecting to see that option somewhere?

I use the wired connection but not 100% sure on that. It should accept the standard connection yellow red and white but it wouldnt be the comp input. On my set its video1 or video2. You'll only get 480I tho on that input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
The colour of the RCA plug is cosmetic only and doesn't make any difference, although RCA cables made for yPbPr component are sometimes of a higher production quality than those made for composite. yPbPr and composite may both go over RCA but the quality of composite is substantially inferior to anything other than RF modulation.


Composite video goes over one RCA cable whereas yPbPr uses three. Typically each will then use two more RCA cables for R/L audio.


If your VT30 has a VGA input, would it be possible to use that with the Wii? It looks like the Wii does do VGA via an adapter. VGA the best quality short of a digital connection and vastly better than composite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging /forum/post/20879145


The colour of the RCA plug is cosmetic only and doesn't make any difference, although RCA cables made for yPbPr component are sometimes of a higher production quality than those made for composite. yPbPr and composite may both go over RCA but the quality of composite is substantially inferior to anything other than RF modulation.


Composite video goes over one RCA cable whereas yPbPr uses three. Typically each will then use two mode RCA cables for R/L audio.


If your VT30 has a VGA input, would it be possible to use that with the Wii? It looks like the Wii does do VGA via an adapter. VGA the best quality short of a digital connection and vastly better than composite.

Already ordered a component adapter from Amazon (arriving in a day or two) before seeing your post about VGA. Now I'm curious about whether VGA is better than Component...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist /forum/post/20881352


When you go into network setup and choose your wireless network it will ask for the key I believe. I did mine a few months ago now so I don't remember exactly.

Well I'm an idiot -- I was trying to get into the network settings via my DTV remote, instead of the TV's actual remote. I probably will be able to select the network and enter the WPA2 key with the TV's remote, but once I get a compatible wireless USB adaptor. The one I have doesn't seem to be recognized by the TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
All other things being equal, VGA should be better. But individual device implementation quality may count for more. There are adapters that do both yPbPr and VGA on Amazon so maybe you can try out both with the cable you ordered
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top