AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 60" Panasonic VT60 that looks great 90% of the time, unless there's a white background. Mainly on the right side of the screen, I see a pink spot. Although I have a Squaretrade warranty, I'm not sure if it's worth taking advantage of. Since these TVs are obsolete, I'm not sure if replacement panels are even available. I called Panasonic and they didn't have that information and suggested that I contact a local service center. Do they offer you a replacement LED TV if your plasma requires replacement, or are there still parts available? I definitely don't want an LCD/LED, and as I mentioned, the picture on this thing looks fantastic most of the time. I'm just wondering if a fix is possible before the warranty expires. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a 60" Panasonic VT60 that looks great 90% of the time, unless there's a white background. Mainly on the right side of the screen, I see a pink spot. Although I have a Squaretrade warranty, I'm not sure if it's worth taking advantage of. Since these TVs are obsolete, I'm not sure if replacement panels are even available. I called Panasonic and they didn't have that information and suggested that I contact a local service center. Do they offer you a replacement LED TV if your plasma requires replacement, or are there still parts available? I definitely don't want an LCD/LED, and as I mentioned, the picture on this thing looks fantastic most of the time. I'm just wondering if a fix is possible before the warranty expires. Thanks for the help!
I might be wrong, but if the item cannot be repaired, then I believe squaretrade will just write you a check for what you paid for the item. The replacement is up to you to purchase if it comes down to that.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might be wrong, but if the item cannot be repaired, then I believe squaretrade will just write you a check for what you paid for the item. The replacement is up to you to purchase if it comes down to that.
I think you're correct, but that's why I'm trying to find out if replacement panels are still available under warranty.

Change vsus to high in the service menu and the problem should be fixed.
I hope you're right, but I can't seem to find this. I'm using D-Nice's professional settings, if that makes a difference. If you get a chance, could you please find the exact section for me? I'd really appreciate it, thank you!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello,

i have this issue as well, VT60 65" pink on white background on the right side of the screen.

"Change vsus to high in the service menu and the problem should be fixed."

can you please explain? what is the service menu?

thank you

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello,

i have this issue as well, VT60 65" pink on white background on the right side of the screen.

"Change vsus to high in the service menu and the problem should be fixed."

can you please explain? what is the service menu?

thank you
I had forgotten about the service menu until after I asked where to make these adjustments. For some reason, I thought it was in the calibration section. Although I haven't found the specific button sequence for the VT60, a quick Google search found the exact issue we're going through here, including a guy who was asking about panel replacement and Squaretrade, just like me:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-p...scussion-thread-no-street-price-talk-565.html

If I can't find it in that thread, I'll make a post.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Successfully enter to service menu and see vsus as low, I didn’t manage to change it to high, how can I do it?
This is the first time I've done this, so I don't know all the options. When you're in VSUS, you'll see the options on the top left hand side of the screen. First hit "OK" for VSUS test, then use the volume to adjust between high or low. I don't know what 3,4 TEST/CONF SELECT means, though. When I set it to HIGH, then enter 3, it looks perfect. With 4, I still see a little bit of pink. So, I just enter 3, then select "OK" to write, then hit the power button. I seem to recall that you're supposed to hit the power button on the TV itself, so that's what I did. I went back into the menu and it's still on high, so that's good.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, I just want to confirm that I understand you right :)
I should enter to the service menu and to change the Vsus to high to fix the pink spot on white background?

Any impact? Can I broke something?

Thx!
Yes, it's easy to screw things up in the service menu, so as it states in the link I provided, be careful not to touch the volume control when you're in the wrong menu, as it will adjust values that you're not familiar with. I'm going to do some more searching tonight, but from what I've read so far, switching VSUS to high won't have a significant impact on the life of the panel. This is a common fix.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
The pink spot is common. You will find that it is located at the hottest place on the panel. (Run your hand over the back cover to prove this.)

Before attempting a VSUS adjustment, clean out the fans. While the set is on, use a can of compressed air to blow out any dust that may be blocking the flow of exhaust air. Some have found that just using a vacuum cleaner over the vents works as well.

If you want to try the VSUS adjustment, the attachment will show how. I have yet to find anyone who has found changing VSUS to solve the issue.

The only way to reduce the coloration is to reduce the heat using fans. Some have attached external fans right over the TV's fan opening. I have had luck with inexpensive USB powered fans placed on the TV stand pointing at the vents to move air over the vents and dissipate the hot air coming from out of the TV.

Larry

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
thank you all guys! appreciated.

i will try to clean the vents with vacuum cleaner, actually after few hours is extremely hot over the back panel, i will try to cool it a little bit.
if it wont solve the pink issue i will try to change the vsus.

thx again.
:)

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts
I think you're correct, but that's why I'm trying to find out if replacement panels are still available under warranty.
There are no new replacement panels available for any Panasonic Plasma TV.

Panasonic didn't even have any available when the TVs were still in production in 2013 - they just replaced the whole TV instead of warrantying a failed panel.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you want to try the VSUS adjustment, the attachment will show how. I have yet to find anyone who has found changing VSUS to solve the issue.

The only way to reduce the coloration is to reduce the heat using fans. Some have attached external fans right over the TV's fan opening. I have had luck with inexpensive USB powered fans placed on the TV stand pointing at the vents to move air over the vents and dissipate the hot air coming from out of the TV.
Thank you. Unfortunately, I didn't see your post until after I had already adjusted VSUS to high. Changing VSUS to high did solve the problem, though. Now you've found one person who had positive results from changing VSUS to high! What are the negative side effects from leaving it on high? Any greater sensitivity to screen burn or anything like that?

I took your advice and used compressed air to blow out the dust WHEN the TV was on. This was a good idea. I'd also like to rig some external fans to help with cooling. Are there any threads out there I should search for that show how to rig these fans?

One more thing...I still don't understand "3,4 TEST/CONF SELECT" according to what I've described in my post above. The numbers seem reversed, according to your image. 3 should be TEST and 4 should be CONF SELECT, but it's the other way around? It sounds like I did it correctly, but It doesn't make sense that 3 looks better than 4. They should look the same.

Also, what does this mean? "Do not overwrite because data is written in NAND Flash after executing adjustment of V-SUS Voltage." I hit OK at the end to write. Are they saying not to do this too many times? Sorry about all the questions! I tried searching and couldn't find the answers.

thank you all guys! appreciated.
You're welcome, but I just learned this myself! :)

There are no new replacement panels available for any Panasonic Plasma TV.

Panasonic didn't even have any available when the TVs were still in production in 2013 - they just replaced the whole TV instead of warrantying a failed panel.
Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to know. The only suitable replacement I'd want is an OLED, and they're still too expensive. Besides, I love this TV.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi all,
So I tried to clean the vents with soft wet towels and dust hovering, but the back panel is extremely hot on both side of the screen, it’s pretty hard to clean them, my screen mounted to wall.

Anyway, I changed the VSUS to high and the pink spot disappeared, in the test screen and actually on any white background.

What High VSUS actually mean? Any impact on my screen for short or long term?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Hi all,
So I tried to clean the vents with soft wet towels and dust hovering, but the back panel is extremely hot on both side of the screen, it’s pretty hard to clean them, my screen mounted to wall.

Anyway, I changed the VSUS to high and the pink spot disappeared, in the test screen and actually on any white background.

What High VSUS actually mean? Any impact on my screen for short or long term?

Thank you

Put it of the wall.. They get even hotter with the little space between the tv and the wall..

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I will do it for sure.

Meantime what about the vsus new settings on high?
Any risk?
The pink spot disappeared.

I have read alot about Vsus low vs high, I also have read about information from panasonic.. So I try to explain it here very short..but I can not give you a 100% accurate technical explanation..

Vsus low or high controls voltage and has something to do with the plasma cells working perfectly..

It can happen that with Vsus Low.. some pixels will turn red.. you then have to use Vsus high..

Every panel is different.. some run fine on low.. some are per default running on high..

High should always be used if there are any red pixels in white on Vsus Low..

:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts