AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So am I alone in not liking the THX settings on the VT60? I read so much about how "perfect" they were right out of the boxes that I expecting to be wowed. But to me, they just sort of washed out. Like the the colors feel muddy or "hazy". Maybe I can try boosting the contrast. Just overall they feel "smoky" to me. I know there are a lot of people on here and people who have reviewed this set that know a lot more than I do, and they like the setting. So maybe it is just me:) Anyone feel that THX is just not really that accurate?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
It is fairly accurate from a numbers standpoint but the Pro modes when properly calibrated look much better imo

·
Registered
54 Posts
Posted a reply,then noticed it is VT60 and mine is a VT50,so I removed my comments,my bad

(My VT50 is on THX all the time,I prefer it)

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
Terry the sets are very very similar imo, I do think the THX was improved from the 50 to 60 series

·
Registered
662 Posts
The only thing I don't like about thx cinema is in light skin tones colors can get a blotchy yellow or slight green tinge in facial features. The greenish tinge seems to have lessened a bit since it was new though. 450 hours

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well if the VT50 and VT60 have similar/same? THX settings then I will just say that it took me a while to get used to that setting but now I leave it there.I have had a custom setting I copied from forum with a calibrated 65VT50 settings chart and it was very good and I used it for some time but eventually went to using the THX all the time. When I have the money I will get a professional calibration done and compare the THX with the pro calibration.(I can easily get addicted to playing with the custom setting)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for the replies. I guess I am somewhat alone in my dislike for this setting. LOL. The blacks just don't seem to be very deep to me. I have an older Panasonic plasma that is calibrated (was done years ago) that has an incredible picture and in comparison, the THX one just looks washed out with grayer blacks and wimpy colors. Maybe I can make some tweaks to it to get it where I like it. I did put in the CNET settings and I like those fairly well. Not 100% sold on them but they are close. 

BTW, when you have a VT set calibrated are they entering the service menu or can the calibration be done using the Pro Settings alone? 

Thanks again,

Mike 

·
Premium Member
4,911 Posts
^

No service menu required.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks. So does that mean that you don't really need to pay for professional calibration if you find settings online, using the Pro Settings, that you like? Or are there other things that professional would do that the average person may not have access to? 

I plugged in the CNET settings using the Picture settings and Pro settings menus and I wasn't really crazy about them either. Like the THX Cinema mode, it just seemed to make the picture look sort of washed out with low contrast and muddy blacks. I followed the settings step by step and double checked them. Oddly, I thought it looked when I just adjusted the Picture settings (contrast, brightness, sharpness, tint, color) and left the Pro settings at default. The blacks seemed richer and the colors deeper. 

I think I'll hunt around for other settings till I find some that really work for me. 

·
Premium Member
4,911 Posts
I suggest you read up on what a calibration is over on the calibration thread, calibration has nothing to do with the service menu. Using someone else's settings may or may not work - not recommended long term. Read the VT thread, a lot of useful information as well.

·
Registered
662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakenole  /t/1525165/panasonic-vt60-thx-settings#post_24555474

Thanks. So does that mean that you don't really need to pay for professional calibration if you find settings online, using the Pro Settings, that you like? Or are there other things that professional would do that the average person may not have access to? 

I plugged in the CNET settings using the Picture settings and Pro settings menus and I wasn't really crazy about them either. Like the THX Cinema mode, it just seemed to make the picture look sort of washed out with low contrast and muddy blacks. I followed the settings step by step and double checked them. Oddly, I thought it looked when I just adjusted the Picture settings (contrast, brightness, sharpness, tint, color) and left the Pro settings at default. The blacks seemed richer and the colors deeper. 

I think I'll hunt around for other settings till I find some that really work for me. 
Only thing I can think of to add is that cnets setting was calibrated in regular cinema mode and not pro modes. May or May not make a difference.

Out of curiosity which tv were you watching and what settings before the vt60. Our brains can get used to seeing something and when we change it may take time to adjust.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks for the replies. I have actually been reading the VT60 thread off and on for the last few hours. It's a looonnngg one ("Phrasing!"). LOL. But a lot of good info there. 

The TV I had before, which is now in a back room for gaming, is a Panasonic Plasma 50". I cannot remember the model number off the top of my head (THZ something). It's about 6 or so years old. Beautiful picture. I used the Avia disc to adjust the picture and pretty much left it at that. I'll have to dig into the menus to see what the settings are as I did quite a while ago. But I will say that the picture is amazing. Very nice. After all these years, I'm still wowed by it. So I'd like to get my VT looking at good as possible. I'll check the calibration thread and get a local expert to do it. What's the recommended number of hours to wait before having it calibrated? I've heard a few different things--from 100 to 300 hours. 

Thanks again guys. 

1 - 12 of 12 Posts