AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 42" (2 month old) Panasonic went white on me yesterday. I was watching something then decided to turn it off. I then changed my mind and turned it back on within maybe 5-7 minutes. The screen was just blank white. I tried switching inputs but nothing happened. Everything went back to normal after I turned it off and turned it back on yet again.

Has anyone run into this problem. Anyway I can avoid it. I don't know what I may have done wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds like a software glitch, cured by resetting. I don't think a one-off occurrence is cause for worry (how often does Windows crash on you?) but if it became a pattern, especially related to how long the display had been on or some thermal effect, you'd want to get it checked before the warranty expired.

·
Premium Member
8,104 Posts
Hey,

I had a similar glitch from my NEC. My source started scrolling up and down (like an old TV with bad vertical sync) and then everything went black. Turning off the plasma and back on got things back to "sort of normal" (it happened again after changing channels).

Finally, I figured out that it was a source problem, I turned off my satellite receiver and back on - and all was fine (looks like the satellite receiver messed things up).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had the exact same thing happen, except I had turned the unit on after it had been off awhile. I turned it off and on and it was fine and it has not happened again. My panny is about 7 months old.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Wait until Bill Gates gets his fingers in the home entertainment (what he exactly is trying to do). :mad:

Then we will be resetting all our home equipment on a weekly basis :(

STOP WINDOWS HEGEMONY !

·
Premium Member
8,104 Posts
Hey Joys,

Believe it or not, my main XP machine has not been rebooted for over a month (and I've been running Development system on it, tons of software and plugging & unplugging hardware like there's no tomorrow).

My XP laptop has not been as stable - but it's also fairly stable...

You gotta admit, Bill is getting better!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Subaru
I have had the exact same thing happen, except I had turned the unit on after it had been off awhile. I turned it off and on and it was fine and it has not happened again. My panny is about 7 months old.
I just had this happen to me today. 7 months old as well. Turning the panny off and on fixed the problem.

I did notice a few other symptoms.

On any input with a signal, you get all white. On any input without a signal, things look normal. It tells you what input you've selected, and when that goes away, the yellow "NO SIGNAL" message appears in front of a black screen. Turn on signal on that input, and you get all white. (I tested this with my DVD player, which had been off.) Turn the signal back off, and the screen goes back to NO SIGNAL.

Again, just powering it down and up fixed it. Scared me though.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I know it's not a plasma, but my LCD monitor did that, I called them and asked about it, they told me to send it back, which I did, never happened again after I got it back from RMA, if it still in warranty, I would call about it, IMO.

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.