AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an (ab)used XP-30 off eBay. (Note to self: look at picture before buying items on eBay :( ) It does appear to play fine. T2 0050 is probably reasonable. But the cosmetics is bugging me. The top is scratched and dented and the faceplate is also banged up. I checked on the panasonic website and found a lot of parts listed for the xp50 and a few for the xp30, but I cannot tell which part numbers are the ones I need. (I will phone Customer Service the next time they are open to see if they know more.) Has anyone opened up an XP-30 to replace parts? It looks pretty easy to change the top, but I don't know how hard it will be to replace the faceplate.

Also, I remembered that there were a few gripes on this forum or another from people whose Panasonic DVD Player died. I searched, but I cannot find anyone who has one of these dead Players. Does that mean that they really do last or do people just chuck them out the door when they fail?

----

Rick

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The models that had a fairly quick failure mode were the cheaper Panasonic RP62 and the changer model CP72, they die after 7-8 months typically. I haven't seen any reports of major failures with the later XP30 or XP50 models so maybe they improved it by the time those came out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ThumperBoy,

Thanks for the info. I planned on keeping this player until the new ones come out in April or May. I may keep it longer if it proves to be reliable.

Here is the picture of the player as it was on eBay. The funny thing now is, someone didn't want to to put their own picture of an XP30 on eBay and copied this one. I hope this isn't really an example of what they are selling also.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/waja/images/PANDVDXP30.jpg

Copied image is in this ad

--

Rick

·
Registered
620 Posts
All in all, you should be very happy with the player. I have one and really love it. It was rated in the top 2 (i think), in a DVD comparison a while back. I can't think of it now, but it convinced me to buy one.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The latest report on the new Panasonic models coming out in April are that they are not going to have Faroudja de-interlacer now, so I wouldn't hope that they will be as good as the great old XP30.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I bought a floor model xp-30 for 130 bucks 2 months ago that has 2300 hours on the laser- you can check do a serch on the technique. Mine is scratched a little not dented and is great. BTW 2300 hours is a lot for a machine made in mid-2002. I have heard of players going 10000 hours so ...

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Heh, I saw that exact xp30 for sale waja, and held off buying it because of that damage and the fact it didn't come with a remote. Also, after going through the sellers feedback, it seemed that some people received items more damaged than they appears in the images.

Anyway, I keep checking ebay for the xp30 and xp50...I have seen someone selling theirs for full price...but I'm really looking to get a used one for a deal. Wish me luck! :)

-Juice

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far, I've watched two movies on the XP30 I got off of eBay. It is working fine. I paid US$70 less than the one that just ended with the copied picture. I've also disassembled and reassembled mine to get the corner to fit together correctly. (You wouldn't believe how empty these thing are on the inside.) From the scratches and dents on top, it looks as something was sitting on top and slid off, smacked the corner and caused the top to pop out. At the end of my auction, I ordered a new remote from the Panasonic website. It arrived at the same time as the XP30. I like the remote's feature, but the ergonomics are not the best.

--

Rick

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Waja,

Definately call Panasonic CS because not all parts are listed for every model.

-----------

Hi Thumper,

So DVD-S97 is just going to be another all-on-one player if that is what you're saying? Aww! I thought it was going to have Faroudja!! Oh and they even updated their press release too and took the word out!! argh!!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Sango
Waja,

Definately call Panasonic CS because not all parts are listed for every model.

Thanks for the info Sango. I was able to get the top and faceplate from Panasonic (2 tries on the faceplate, they sent the wrong part the first time.) The unit now looks brand new! Along with the 302 firmware update (Thanks again Sango!) I have a great look and great playing XP-30. Total cost was US$182 plus shipping.

Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.