AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently trying to decide between the two players. I know that Secrets rated both players very highly in the video department.

I would like to get other peoples thoughts on these two player as far as

video quality particular how they might match up with a Pioneer Elite Pro510 RPTV.

I currently have the Panasonic RV 80 which although is a interlaced DVD Player it was rated very highy by Stacey Spears when I purchased it several years ago. It is still doing fine.

After reading the most recent shootout it appears as though the XP30 might be a tad better in the video department for DVD.

Any thoughts or recommendations from anyone would be helpful.

All the best,

Gary:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
General consensus around here points towards the XP30. I'm sure others will chime in that have direct experience, but out of all the threads I've read in this forum, the XP30 is held in higher regard.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I don't think you will notice a PQ difference, 1600 has DVD-A and a bit better build quality, IMHO

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the Secrets tests The 30XP gave off more white which is needed for the PRO 510 RPTV. They can run a little darker than most sets but the CRT colors filters and lenses are very rich.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I found the 1600 to be a little softer looking than the XP30. If you don't need the DVD-A/ better analog audio, IMO the XP30 is better via progressive.

As for the RV80, unless you're needing the progressive output of the XP30/1600, you might want to keep what you've got. It's been a while since I've compared them in interlaced mode, but when I did I felt they were almost identical.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The RV80 although it is about four years old runs at 10 bit and 54mhz and gives an excellent interlaced picture.

The Progressive aspect coming directly from the player has always intrigued me. I briefly borrowed a friends camelot roundtable and found that the video was outstanding, but beyond budget at around $3,500.

It now appears that Panasonic has bested the roundtable for a mere fraction of the cost.

I am a bit hesitant about the 1600 Denon since as far as the Video is concerned, it is really a rebaged Panasonic. I'm not sure that build quality is a big issue with video as it is with audio products. Panasonics are

pretty reliable players.

My main concern is really image quality and it sounds like the Panasonic is tops if I'm able to find one. The posts above seem to pursuade me that

Denon gives a softer image, probably caused by some frequency roll off.

I guess I'll have to search really hard and hopefully I'll find an XP30.

Thanks everyone for responding to my inquiries.

All the best,

Gary:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well, it might be immaterial as they are BOTH discontinued players from 2

model years ago......

-Sporty

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SportyBry
Well, it might be immaterial as they are BOTH discontinued players from 2

model years ago......

-Sporty

These two players are still moving around a bit. Just this past week I sold a brand-new-in-the box DVD-1600, and got a refurb XP30. They're still out there and putting up good pictures!

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Actually the XP50 is closer to compare with the Denon DVD-1600, they both have DVD-audio. The XP30 is cheaper without DVD-audio. They all have the same video quality, the Panasonic models have a few extra features in their menus. I myself got a used XP30 since it met my needs and its worked perfectly for me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have both a XP50 and Denon 1600, the picture quality as far as I can tell is identical.

The Denon wins in my book by way of ergonomics. The XP50 isn't shaped like a normal AV component and has (imho) goofy round buttons on the top. The Denon's LED display is much easier to read from viewing distance also.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know if the Denon DVD 1600 passes the 24/96 signal for DAD

audio discs.

·
Registered
27,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrwilson
I thought the 1600 was an RP-56. It rolls off high frequencies like the RP-56. The XP30 and 50 don't.
The Denon 1600 is built off the chassis of the RP-56, but it uses the MPEG decoder and deinterlacing chip from the RP-82, as do the XP-30 & 50.

As far as "rolling off the high frequencies" goes, the 1600 has a very sharp and detailed picture. What it doesn't have is the burden of additional edge enhancement beyond what is a natural part of the disc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.