AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at picking up a HDTV tube in a couple of months (probably 32" or 30/34" still debating, but not the topic here) and I'm thinking of moving my current DVD player (JVC 523) to music only duty upstairs and getting something that does progressive scan to go with the new TV. I've read a lot of threads here and on other forums, and it looks like I have two major options at the moment.

1. Get a Panasonic DVD-XP50 before they disappear completely (it looks like 6Ave still has them).

2. Wait for something new coming out in the next couple of months (maybe the Samsung 931).

A third option would be to grab a Panny RP-91 from Newegg at $300, but I think the better picture quality of the XP50 would be better than the features/build of the RP-91. Thoughts?

Given that I'm looking at a tube instead of a digital viewing setup (plasma, LCD, DLP, etc) it seems like the Samsung 931 might not be worth waiting for. It depends on how good the DACs in the tubes are compared to the ones in the DVD players - any thoughts there?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by discs4sale
I just checked the 6ave.com website and the XP50 is sold out. Not sure if this means that no more is coming in.
That sucks - they had them yesterday. Maybe that answers my question for me.

I'm still interested in everyone's thoughts though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BradJudy
That sucks - they had them yesterday. Maybe that answers my question for me.

I'm still interested in everyone's thoughts though.
It depends on what you are looking for. If absolute picture quality is what you are looking for, then the 50 will be hard to beat. However, it does offer less than stellar audio. The 91 is a step below the 50, but offers a very neat aspect ratio scaling function that scales 4:3 letterboxed material to fill a 16:9 screen. It is also better at audio, but still less than stellar. Either player would make an excellent unit in almost any home theater. I would say that you really can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Hi BradJudy,

Try Fries Electronics. I just picked up a new in box DVD XP50 for $199.95 yesterday.

I love this player in every way and think both picture and sound quality are stellar.

--Edward

·
Registered
23 Posts
i've asked this in another dying thread, but i'll ask here also....

what's the deal the the XP50?? why is it so sought after? it must carry the faroujda/sage chip i'd imagine. i have an RP56 with the faroujda, should i be checking the XP50 out @ my local fry's?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Racer X
i've asked this in another dying thread, but i'll ask here also....

what's the deal the the XP50?? why is it so sought after? it must carry the faroujda/sage chip i'd imagine. i have an RP56 with the faroujda, should i be checking the XP50 out @ my local fry's?
You pretty much hit the nail right on the head. It got popular because it is pretty much the same video side as the RP82. However, it still has the same audio which is to be expected of a player in its price-range...especially one with such an emphasis on video. For the same video quality with much improved audio, the Denon DVD-1600 would be an excellent choice.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by yojimbo75
You pretty much hit the nail right on the head. It got popular because it is pretty much the same video side as the RP82. However, it still has the same audio which is to be expected of a player in its price-range...especially one with such an emphasis on video. For the same video quality with much improved audio, the Denon DVD-1600 would be an excellent choice.
Unfortunately the Denon runs about $500 ($400 from an non-authorized dealer) instead of $200-300 which is what I was looking at. Although $370 + $30 extended warranty might be an option.

We don't have Fry's in Colorado, but I'll stop by SoundTrack and CC on my way home today.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BradJudy

Unfortunately the Denon runs about $500 ($400 from an non-authorized dealer) instead of $200-300 which is what I was looking at. Although $370 + $30 extended warranty might be an option.

BradJudy- Honestly, it would be worth looking into if audio quality is really important to you. I have an RP-82 and it is utterly fantastic on the video side, but it is simply not built to be a audio player. The Denon is, from all reports much, much better in this regard. I do not use my 82 for audio playback.

I wish that the manufacturers would stop this no warranty non-sense, but, alas, we do not live in a perfect world. They feel that they have to protect their dealers instead of letting the market truly sort it out. Oh well...Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in your search for a new player.

·
Registered
952 Posts
robot1998,

I picked up the last new in box unit they had at the Fries in Dallas, Tx.

I was very lucky as the Fries in Arlington was sold out.

BradJudy,

I personally think you should give the DVD Xp50 a shot if you can find one. I am totally satisfied with mine in both audio and video. I am not sure where these guys are coming from with the DENON as I don't own one. I have not tried the PANASONIC RP-82 for audio either but I have owned about 12 dvd players since 1997 (currently own 5) and none of them can touch the sound of the XP-50.

Just my 2 cents.

--Edward

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dlbsyst
robot1998,

I picked up the last new in box unit they had at the Fries in Dallas, Tx.

I was very lucky as the Fries in Arlington was sold out.

BradJudy,

I personally think you should give the DVD Xp50 a shot if you can find one. I am totally satisfied with mine in both audio and video. I am not sure where these guys are coming from with the DENON as I don't own one. I have not tried the PANASONIC RP-82 for audio either but I have owned about 12 dvd players since 1997 (currently own 5) and none of them can touch the sound of the XP-50.

Just my 2 cents.

--Edward
Edward- The RP-82 and the XP-50 are basically the same player. I am definitely glad that it meets your needs, but most feel that it is extremely lacking in the audio department. In fact, the original unit in this chain(RP-82) was basically built to give Panny a $200 class-beater. Most of the investment was in the video side. The audio side is decent for a player of its economic class, but is not even approaching the league of its video capabilities. This is true of all of these players: the XP-30, the XP-50, etc. The only one, based on the RP-82 design, that most people feel does not suffer is the Denon DVD-1600. Denon put alot more attention into the audio side. It is also better shielded which is the deathblow dealt to the other machines. The Panasonic players in this line are basically five pound pieces of plastic, thus not having the all-important shielding and adequate power supplies need for stellar audio. Most reviews of these units also state this. However, if it meets your needs, that is fantastic; it is simply to say that others may not be as happy with its audio capabilities. I was not, but I have other equipment that I prefer to use for those functions anyway. Anyway, you got one heck of a DVD player...enjoy it!

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
edward!! have u ever had a high end player, pioneer elite, marantz, how do u compare sound with elite47ai, can u tell me which 5 ur comparing now? thnx

·
Registered
952 Posts
yojimbo75,

Maybe I just cant tell the difference anymore after all I am 38 years old, but it does indeed sound very nice.

zoro,

No I have never owned what you would consider high end. My current dvd players are:

-Pioneer DVL-919 LD/DVD combo

-Philips DVDR 985 dvd recorder

-JVC XV-FA902 7-disc changer (a favorite)

-Sony DVP-NS755V (For SACD playback)

-Panasonic DVD-XP50 (another favorite)

I do not care for the Sony at all as it has a very poor picture. It will be going back to Circuit City shortly.

--Edward

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
Thnx edward!! I currently have PHILIPS 963SA, that is supposed to have GOOD AUDIO CICUITORY, and PIONEER ELITE 47ai, Philips is not BAD, but IMHO, elite sound better!!

what is ur impression on PHILIPS 985?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ran by the local shops and one of them has Panasonic RP72s left for $250 so I might just grab one of those.

The audio difference between players using a digital connection should be nominal. The real difference comes in when using analog outputs and you use the DACs in the DVD players. If you are only using digital outputs, you will be noticing the difference between the processing and DACs in the receiver, not the DVD player.

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
I just saw at secret's q&A that OPTICAL is not a gOOD CONNECTION for DVDA and SACD,

Q Recently I read that digital coax cables provide better bandwidth and better overall fidelity over optical cables. What are your thoughts on this and how big of a difference do you feel it really makes?

A Digital coax will pass 24/192, while Toslink optical appears to be limited to 24/96. We will test this at some point. Note that optical vs. coax differences have more to do with the interfaces than the cable or method. Current S/PDIF is (or was recently) limited to 24/96 on a single cable, though the cable itself can support far greater bandwidth. I believe AES/EBU can do 24/96 on a single cable, be it coax or balanced pair. Toslink's limitation is the LED on the output, which is limited in bandwidth. Single mode glass fiber, used for networking, can support bandwidth far greater than any electrical transmission standard. However, Toslink is far from that, and is a mediocre optical transmission setup.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/qa/qa2003/qa344.html

That makes all penny plyers with OTICAL only, SUB OPTIMAL???IMHO

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Zoro - At that moment you can't do DVD-A or SACD over optical - that's why all of those players have analog outputs. Pioneer uses a 1394 connection to transfer DVD-A info digitally, but I can't think of anyone else that does.

For the purposes of DD and DTS there should be no difference in quality between coax and optical cables - they transmit the same information.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.