AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference if any, between these 2 players? From secrets I am leaning more and more towards getting one of these 2, or perhaps a Denon 1600, but there was a review from The Perfect Vision that indicated the XP50 had a slightly better picture than the 1600 (perhaps the cinema mode has better color balance or something). The XP50 is still available and is considerably cheaper than the Rp82 would be.

Is there any reason to believe an RP82 would be preferable to an XP50?

·
Registered
192 Posts
The XP50 might not fit stylistically in with the rest of your stuff. I'm not crazy about the eject button on top of the unit for instance.

That being said, where can you actually find an XP50? I've found places that claim to have them, but when you place an order they say they are out of stock (often that takes days).

The Philips Q50 is also another player to consider.

alex

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
 www.6ave.com has the XP50 for like $225.00, I think I'm going to order one of those. Although the new Panasonic DVD-S55S looks like it might be better than all of them, it seems to have the same chipset. But since no reviews are available, I'll play it safe and go for the Xp50 I guess.

The Denon 1600 looked tempting and I can buy it locally, but the Perfect Vision reviewed it and said it's picture looked worse than the XP50, although in general I would prefer Denon to Panasonic.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris J, where did you see an RP82 for less than $200? They have been discontinued for a long period of time, and other than ebay I haven't seen any around for a while. The ones on ebay go for like $350-$400 which is way more than they were new. Considering the XP50's are like $225 when you can find them, $350 seems like a heck of a lot.

·
Registered
931 Posts
uzun

the DVD-S55S does not have the Sage chipset. It uses panasonic's own chip. I can't say say if using their chip is good or bad as I haven't seen one in action.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Other reports of comparisons (don't have a link) stated that the older Pannys with the Sage chipset have a superior picture to those with the Panny combo chip. Note that the use of the Panny chip is a cost-cutting measure to get players into the $100 range, which is what most people are spending. In order to get pristine images those of us with videophile tendancies will have to pay premium dollar.

Morale of the story: Grab up existing XP30/50, RP82, and perhaps RP67s and 72s with the Sage chip. They are very nice for the price.

Back to the orignal purpose of this thread: I think the XP50 in many areas is equivelant to the RP82, but the RP82 has more features and a lower price tag. Problem #1: You can't get one. Problem #2: It is getting harder to get an XP50 as well. I think outpost.com still had some in stock a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
435 Posts
On a side note;

Would any of you recommend the RP-56? It has the Sage chip, it should have the PQ but maybe lacks "Bells & Whistles" being a cheaper unit.

Thanks; Jessica

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually it looks like the RP56 isn't real bad, not a lot worse than the RP82 in image quality. It was reviewed by HT shootout, and the only problems it had compared to the RP82/XP30/XP50 was an Image cropping issue, syncing subtitles to frames, and a large dropoff in the video frequency response at the high end. Overall it should be a decent player. It has been discontinued for a long time, I think it would be hard to find as well, and not as desirable as an XP30, XP50 or RP82. I think you might as well get an XP30/50 or RP82, considering the video frequency test.

If you look at the CP72 and RP62 though, they don't seem to hold up too well to the XP30/50/RP82 since they both have Y/C delay problems, and the video level problems on the RP62 kind of disqualify them as quality video players in my opinion.

RP56 shootout:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...rch&articles=4

2002/2003 shootout:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...rch&articles=5

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules343
uzun

the DVD-S55S does not have the Sage chipset. It uses panasonic's own chip. I can't say say if using their chip is good or bad as I haven't seen one in action.
Go here for a review of the S35, a related product. You can get a feel for the all-in-one panny solution from the results.

jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
As everyone seems to rave about the performance of the RP82, I have been trying to find one. Is this even possible? Besides eBay no-one else seems to show them. Has anyone seen them for sale in the last week either on-line or B&M? I have called a couple of the local BB's but they no longer have them. Though one of them that I went to has 3 RP62 sitting on the shelf with serial #'s without the "B" selling them for $99. I may be forced to get one of those and pick up an optical to coax converter. But the sound of the picture from the 82 makes me pause.

The XP50 has some buzz, but it also lacks a coax out.

I tell you it hurts to think this much about a $100 purchase, it is just meant to be a better source than the old non-progressive player I have now, and tide me over until the new blue-ray/HD DVD's appear.

Any help on finding a 82? Is the XP50 equivalent, or just suck it up and get a 62 (cheep) and get wait to spend more for HD? Decisions.......

If anyone can direct me to an 82, not on ebay it is appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SFOtoTPA
I tell you it hurts to think this much about a $100 purchase, it is just meant to be a better source than the old non-progressive player I have now, and tide me over until the new blue-ray/HD DVD's appear.
If you're looking at investing more money later on, why not get a XP30 or XP50 or even a S35, all of which should perform better than your current interlaced player and don't worry about getting "max" performance NOW so much... :)

Peace...

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Except for lack of coax, the XP50 is every bit as good as the RP82, by all tests, including HT shootout.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'll bite,,,,,,,,(No pun intended :p ) Is Coax better than optical?

Jessica

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I've seen this debated before, but I would consider them reasonably equivalent. Coax can suffer from cable quality, however, which optical either gets there or not.

I think the issue is for people with receivers with only a single optical input but perhaps a couple of coax inputs. Buying a DVD player with only an optical input may cause them to have to choose another device to downgrade to analog :(.

I purchased the XP50 recently and had to take my DirecTV with TiVo off of the optical input for this very reason. I don't watch very much in dolby digital on the TiVo so this wasn't a biggee, and my wife likes having the TiVo sound effects back :). I will think about upgrading my receiver when I upgrade to an HD-TiVo, which I will definitely want digital sound for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am at the same point. When I bought my receiver (only 1 year ago) I thought 2 optical and 2 coax digital connections would be all I would ever need. Now I want MORE, plus component switching, and DVI switching and and and ... you get the picture.

HD-200 on one of the opticals

400 CD changer on the other optical

HD digital cable box (3100) on one of the coax

1 lonely unused coax connection.

My first choice is a RP82 (OK so this is impossible to find)

Second choice is a XP50 with only an optical output.

So the solution for the XP50 is that I will go to www.partsexpress.com and get a converter (from optical to coax) that I did not know existed 2 weeks ago, it is part # 180-961, costs $16.75 plus shipping.

This might look like a Rube Goldberg connection, but I like to think it is more like McGyver (sp?). This should work, and if the signal seems to suffer I can consider moving one of the other optical devices to coax.

Now the question is, am I crazy? Should I be holding out an buying a RP82 on ebay, or is there someone who has it that I do not know about? Last week I could not find anyone that had them, and now I hear of places selling their last units last week. grrrrr

Thanks for any replies, hope the converter helps someone.

Tom

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am happy with the XP30 I have....I dont think I will need DVD-A. After looking for a RP82 for months, I found one a fry' s yesterday. It must be the last one available in the US.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Quote:
If anyone can direct me to an 82, not on ebay it is appreciated
To those looking for the RP82. I can't help you. But why not consider the Yamaha DVD C920? It has the same video processing section as the rp82(the unit is actually made by Panasonic) plus a better audio section featuring DVD-A and Burr Brown dacs. I tried both and found PQ to be identical(on my Panasonic 16x9) but the 920 was superior in the sound dept(Burr Browns). The 920 is a 5 disc changer like the cp72. They have them at Tweeter for $399 but you can haggle the price down and get it for less. It really is a great player. Been running strong for 6 months now.

Dalton

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
As stated above, xp50's are available at 6ave.com for $225. I just checked and they appear to still have them...

jeff

Quote:
Originally posted by SFOtoTPA
As everyone seems to rave about the performance of the RP82, I have been trying to find one. Is this even possible? Besides eBay no-one else seems to show them. Has anyone seen them for sale in the last week either on-line or B&M? I have called a couple of the local BB's but they no longer have them. Though one of them that I went to has 3 RP62 sitting on the shelf with serial #'s without the "B" selling them for $99. I may be forced to get one of those and pick up an optical to coax converter. But the sound of the picture from the 82 makes me pause.

The XP50 has some buzz, but it also lacks a coax out.

Any help on finding a 82? Is the XP50 equivalent, or just suck it up and get a 62 (cheep) and get wait to spend more for HD? Decisions.......

If anyone can direct me to an 82, not on ebay it is appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.