AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to stay at or under the $300 price range. It's going to be used to power a full Athena setup w/AS-F2s, B1s, P-300 sub, and a C1. I'm really looking for the best overall sound quality. Is there any difference between the XR-55 and the XR-70 besides the HDMI? Is there another unit I should look at first in the price range?

Thanks in advance

(oh, and, Hi...first time poster here) :)

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
I think the HK is a hybrid. I forgot what model HK digital I tried but I liked the Kenwood the the Panasonics. The HK while being a very nice unit I just did not hear the benefit to it being digital. It sounded like an analog amp. Nothing wrong with that but I was buying digital for that digital edge. This is meant in no way as a bash to HK. Great stuff.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55
Is there any difference between the XR-55 and the XR-70 besides the HDMI? Is there another unit I should look at first in the price range?

(oh, and, Hi...first time poster here) :)
The 55 has a crossover option of 80hz. I understand the 70 can crossover no lower than 100hz. This was critical in my decesion to go with the 55. I experimented with both crossovers on the 55 (80 & 100) and the 80 worked much better with my Ascend 340 speakers. I used a RS SPL meter and test tones to graph the results. I would expect similar results with your Athena's but that dosen't mean you wouldn't get good results with the 100hz crossover.

Welcome to the Forum.

David

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input :) . Let me add one more unit to the mix, the Denon AVR-1506/1706. I have always heard good things about Denon products, and this was the only one I could find in my price range (any other cheaper ones would be nice though :) ). Any thoughts?

EDIT:

Wow, just found a 1905 for $250 or the 2105 for $329 shipped from ecost...

Any thoughts on these?

·
Registered
242 Posts
if you're considering the xr70, you may also perhaps consider the xr50/45/25, depending on budget. I just got an xr50 open box for a really low price....but only 6.1 and doesn't have pro logic IIx.... YMMV

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it turns out I couldn't resist the Denon AVR-2105...at $329, I just cannot imagine a better value out there.

(

·
Registered
367 Posts
how does the panny sound with your 340's? Does the panny have enough power for them? Just wondering because i might be in the market for 340' LCR and 170's in the rear..... mabye....... i am considering the panny 70.....

thanks, technoreid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikedorian
The 55 has a crossover option of 80hz. I understand the 70 can crossover no lower than 100hz. This was critical in my decesion to go with the 55. I experimented with both crossovers on the 55 (80 & 100) and the 80 worked much better with my Ascend 340 speakers. I used a RS SPL meter and test tones to graph the results. I would expect similar results with your Athena's but that dosen't mean you wouldn't get good results with the 100hz crossover.

Welcome to the Forum.

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.