AVS Forum banner

Panasonic XR55/XR57 sound quality (check more than one)

• Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fair or poor

• A $600 analog receiver (e.g., Denon) sounds better

• A $1000 analog receiver sounds better

• The sound is too bright

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you rate the sound quality of your panasonic XR55/XR57? Comments are most welcome.

·
Registered
68 Posts
XR-55: Excellent (does 5.1 PLII by Optical/Coaxial Matrixed to 7.1 perfectly). Does what it's supposed to do amazingly well.

XR-57: Very good. Just as good as the XR-55 for Optical/Coaxial audio. However, there are several limitations that are frustrating for uncompressed audio via HDMI: weak bass, very little info on the screen about audio source (especially compared to the better XR-55 display), etc. 1080i switching problems are also an occasional annoyance.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Great receivers. It's too bad the market wasn't very accepting of these fully digital receivers. Or was it? If so Panasonic for whatever reasons decided to discontinue them in the US. The clarity I hear from my XR-55 is astounding. It took me a few hours to adjust my hearing. The "thin", "hollow" sound is really the absence of any analog noise that we associate with a fuller sound. I have it in my bedroom. When I'm watching movies I can hear and understand the dialog clearly even at ultra low volume (late at night). I sounds better to me than the Outlaw 950 and external amp I have in my front projection set up. But that is a large room with openings to other areas. The amp just doesn't seem to fill the room to my satisfaction.

I was very hopeful that Panasonic would release a new model with all the new audio formats, OSD, higher current on the amplication stage. I still think there's a market for such a digital receiver. Drop component, s-video, composite... nothing but HDMI, coax and toslink connections. Full digital!! I'd buy that.

·
Registered
607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerTC /forum/post/13295220

I was very hopeful that Panasonic would release a new model with all the new audio formats, OSD, higher current on the amplication stage. I still think there's a market for such a digital receiver. Drop component, s-video, composite... nothing but HDMI, coax and toslink connections. Full digital!! I'd buy that.

Amen to that brotha!

What I'm really hoping is that someone like AV123 or Oppo, who seem to know enthusiasts better, will come up with a product like this targeting the AVS crowd.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I'll probably get some flack for this but......

My XR55 sounded much better, less bright and thin as it broke in.

Now how the heck digital amps can even break in is beyond me, but it was a reality that was seen on testing even with the DB meter, room EQ wizard, ect..ect..

·
Registered
6,931 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerTC /forum/post/13295220

.......... When I'm watching movies I can hear and understand the dialog clearly even at ultra low volume (late at night). I sounds better to me than the Outlaw 950 and external amp I have in my front projection set up. But that is a large room with openings to other areas.

Really? I hear no appreciable difference in dialog clarity between the XR55 and my previous budget Onkyo 502 receiver and a Cambridge Audio receiver before that. I wish I could.

I suspect I need lots of compensatory room treatments to bring me that kind of discernible clarity. In fact, I've given up on upgrading ANY components until I get my room at least somewhat treated.. there's really not much point in doing so without it. That is, unless you are gifted with a rare room which sounds good w/o treatment.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions /forum/post/13464548

I suspect I need lots of compensatory room treatments to bring me that kind of discernible clarity. In fact, I've given up on upgrading ANY components until I get my room at least somewhat treated.. there's really not much point in doing so without it. That is, unless you are gifted with a rare room which sounds good w/o treatment.

More members need this level of insight, nice post. Why people worry about what kind of DACs they've got, or dish out loads of subjective pablum about sonic differences among receivers while their rooms are terrible is beyond me.

Fwiw, my XR-55 "sounds" excellent. Then again, so did the others before it. I do like the fact that it runs quiet and cool, has a nice feature-set, is fairly small, and has a nice intuitive interface. Bought one for my brother, too. I would love something just like it that could handle MC LPCM well. The XR-57 doesn't, so I'll have to move to another manufacturer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What about the newer model the XR59 ?

I am interested in these models. Wonder how they go against an Yamaha 661/663. looking for a replacement for my old kenwood receiver (using the 6channel analog input, connected to my computer x-fi card)

·
Registered
6,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Caine /forum/post/13465661

What about the newer model the XR59 ?

I am interested in these models. Wonder how they go against an Yamaha 661/663. looking for a replacement for my old kenwood receiver (using the 6channel analog input, connected to my computer x-fi card)

It's interesting, but I've never heard about it in the US and can't find a manual.

If you can find one where you are I'd like to hear about it. If you're only using the analog-ins, though, the 55 should work just as well.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Thanks for that, never looked through one of those. I can't find what it does with LPCM, though, I think maybe the owner's manual might have the info (although that's far from a given).

·
Registered
56 Posts
i am in the market for a receiver. i was looking at yamaha 663 and after that i decided to wait for the pioneer 1018.

read about digital receivers here and i am totally impressed with the reviews here for xr57 and xr700. at this point i am looking at the xr700.

how does the xr57 & xr700 compare against these two yamaha & pioneer receivers. i am not worried about the true HD, dts hd on the receiver. lack of video upconversion is also not an issue. i only want a comparison on the sound quality of these receivers.

i could not get the panasonic receivers locally, so could not do a comparison myself - hence i want your opinions here.

btw, if it matters, i own the kef 2005.2 speakers.

your inputs are much appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey /forum/post/13465605

I would love something just like it that could handle MC LPCM well. The XR-57 doesn't, so I'll have to move to another manufacturer.

Thought I saw the XR-700 does all the new stuff? Quite a bit more expensive though - at least at MSRP.

Panasonic's Blu-ray site. Look under the "Products" link, then under "Home Theater Receiver".

·
Registered
553 Posts
I bought xr57 to replace my aging Sony receiver. It was better than Sony. Then I bought HK247. It smoked xr57 in SQ. Suddenly the sound opened up. My xr57 was lying in the garage for last 8 months. I had to send my 247 back to HK for getting a replacement, so I plugged xr57 back in. I can't listen to it anymore and I'm eagerly waiting for my HK. I would sell it on craigslist when I get my HK back. SHould have done that 8 months ago...

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I have never heard one before. But really you need a point of reference if you want to compare them.

IE, if you say the Panasonic was better than what you used before... well... what did you use before? Have any of you compared it to an analog amp thats comparable in price? IE $500 to $500?

I have no opinion on this matter. But I would like more info. I always wanted to test a digital amp. but I dont want to pay!

·
Registered
371 Posts
My experience is exactly the opposite. I liked my HK-635, and was using it with a sub to power my Maggie 1.6 speakers. Then I got XR55, and was surprised how much more control it had over the Maggies. I disconnected the sub because the bottom end was remarkable with Maggies alone. I can no longer go back to HK because Panny has way more detailed midrange and cleaner highs, and I like the overall sound much more.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla /forum/post/13493612

I have never heard one before. But really you need a point of reference if you want to compare them.

IE, if you say the Panasonic was better than what you used before... well... what did you use before? Have any of you compared it to an analog amp thats comparable in price? IE $500 to $500?

I have no opinion on this matter. But I would like more info. I always wanted to test a digital amp. but I dont want to pay!

There are countless threads on subjective opinions of the sound. All you need to do is search the forum and you'll have more opinions than you care to read.

FWIW, I preferred the XR-55 over the Pioneer 1014. They were used in the same room, A/B comparison over the course of a week, same speakers, calibrated manually to the same levels, etc. and I thought the XR-55 was better. Less features, not as nice looking, but to me it seemed the better performer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts