AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Banned
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the Panasonic TC-P54Z1 at Magnolia and it was immediately apparent that it picture quality was superior to the Pioneer Kuro Elite. I was never much impressed with viewing the Elites in the showroom, but I felt a strong urge to buy this absolutely beautiful display!

One would think that reaching a new level of ultimate picture fidelity would be greeted as the most important news in this forum. But rather peculiarity its quietly tucked away in one thread. The silence is deafening!

Why no excitement here? Where is the missing expert leadership? Lets guess:

1) the push is still on to sell-off the Pioneer 500M

2) brand name loyalty

3) lack of objectivity

4) embarrassment of previous recommendations

5) over-the-top product worship

6) just passing time

The Z1 also puts hdguru in an awkward position with his recent "The New King of HDTVs: Panasonic’s TC-P54V10 Reviewed" title. Sorry but it's the Z1 buddy!

Can we forget this past and celebrate the new level of realism? It's obvious that the former Pioneer engineers contributed to the Z1's stunning picture quality.

I'd like to directly compare it to the Samsung 860, but Magnolia is not allowed to make such direct comparisons, at least not at this time. Consumer Reports is testing the 860, and it may be the best at its price point.

Both the 860 and Z1 run fairly hot so the gains in energy efficiency are minor.

I do not care for the silver bezel, but it does make the Z1 standout in the showroom. The wireless video should have been made an option.

Have you guys seen the Z1 yet? What are your impressions? I especially want to hear from Kuro Elite owners. Are you planning to upgrade too?

·
Registered
999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun /forum/post/16964581

I saw the Panasonic TC-P54Z1 at Magnolia and it was immediately apparent that it picture quality was superior to the Pioneer Kuro Elite. I was never much impressed with viewing the Elites in the showroom, but I felt a strong urge to buy this absolutely beautiful display!

One would think that reaching a new level of ultimate picture fidelity would be greeted as the most important news in this forum. But rather peculiarity its quietly tucked away in one thread. The silence is deafening!

Why no excitement here? Where is the missing expert leadership? Lets guess:

1) the push is still on to sell-off the Pioneer 500M

2) brand name loyalty

3) lack of objectivity

4) embarrassment of previous recommendations

5) over-the-top product worship

6) just passing time

The Z1 also puts hdguru in an awkward position with his recent "The New King of HDTVs: Panasonic's TC-P54V10 Reviewed" title. Sorry but it's the Z1 buddy!

Can we forget this past and celebrate the new level of realism? It's obvious that the former Pioneer engineers contributed to the Z1's stunning picture quality.

I'd like to directly compare it to the Samsung 860, but Magnolia is not allowed to make such direct comparisons, at least not at this time. Consumer Reports is testing the 860, and it may be the best at its price point.

Both the 860 and Z1 run fairly hot so the gains in energy efficiency are minor.

I do not care for the silver bezel, but it does make the Z1 standout in the showroom. The wireless video should have been made an option.

Have you guys seen the Z1 yet? What are your impressions? I especially want to hear from Kuro Elite owners. Are you planning to upgrade too?

I'm in the market and found your post interesting. Did you just compare these two by watching them? were they side-by-side? I'm considering the 151 and the 58"V10,isn't the V's suppose to better a better picture than the the Z's? Is that article(review) on line somewhere?

What I like about the 151 is how tweak-able they are and the crisp,natural picture it produces. The color palette is the best I have seen in a TV.

I have seen the 50" V10 and the picture comparison is not close but then again who knows what the settings are on each TV. The price is also the big difference.

I wonder how close the V10 comes in picture quality to the Elite after calibration? is it as tweak-able?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun /forum/post/16964581

I saw the Panasonic TC-P54Z1 at Magnolia and it was immediately apparent that it picture quality was superior to the Pioneer Kuro Elite.

I don't believe you and I doubt many others here do either. I'm no Pioneer fanboy but I can spot a hidden agenda a mile away. Calling out forum members with obscure posts isn't going to get you anywhere, he will never respond to your thread!

·
Banned
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand that some may feel a bit angry at being recently steered elsewhere. I've learned to take no advice from this forum. Realize I'm simply posting the obvious simply truth after making first-hand observations.

The Europeans have discovered the Z1's superiority too.

"Arguably the most pleasing thing about the P46Z1's pictures, though, is their colour handling. Tones generally, with both standard and high definition, look much more natural than they do with Panasonic's cheaper models, especially where rich reds and subtle skin tones are concerned. Colours look more dynamic and expressive than I've seen them on a Panasonic plasma too.

It's also a relief to find the considerable processing power of the P46Z1 helping it upscale standard definition pictures with much more sharpness and conviction, but less noise, than I've noted with Panny's cheap plasmas.

Of course, though, the screen's sharpness and clarity are really at their most potent when watching high definition. And they really are very potent indeed, helping the screen produce pictures of mesmerising, intoxicating detail, texture, dynamism and subtlety. What's more, with the exceptional clarity being joined by black levels at least rivaling those of Pioneer's KURO plasmas, and much brighter, more natural peak whites than you get with previous Panasonic plasma generations, you really do have an image that's truly cinematic in a way most ordinary TVs can only dream about.

Anyway, however hard I look for trouble, the bottom line is that the P46Z1 is a truly sensational picture performer, delivering - especially with HD - KURO-beating picture quality of a standard Panasonic has only previously been able to produce on its megabucks professional or custom installation screens. And it does this, let's not forget, via a completely wireless and utterly stable connectivity system."

i agree 100% with this reviewer. This plasma technology has moved ahead of every other technology. While long overdue its very welcome for those who like to be amazed.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/re...n-Plasma-TV/p4

·
Registered
4,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun /forum/post/16964901

I understand that some may feel a bit angry at being recently steered elsewhere. I've learned to take no advice from this forum. Realize I'm simply posting the obvious simply truth after making first-hand observations.

The Europeans have discovered the Z1's superiority too.

"Arguably the most pleasing thing about the P46Z1's pictures, though, is their colour handling. Tones generally, with both standard and high definition, look much more natural than they do with Panasonic's cheaper models, especially where rich reds and subtle skin tones are concerned. Colours look more dynamic and expressive than I've seen them on a Panasonic plasma too.

It's also a relief to find the considerable processing power of the P46Z1 helping it upscale standard definition pictures with much more sharpness and conviction, but less noise, than I've noted with Panny's cheap plasmas.

Of course, though, the screen's sharpness and clarity are really at their most potent when watching high definition. And they really are very potent indeed, helping the screen produce pictures of mesmerising, intoxicating detail, texture, dynamism and subtlety. What's more, with the exceptional clarity being joined by black levels at least rivaling those of Pioneer's KURO plasmas, and much brighter, more natural peak whites than you get with previous Panasonic plasma generations, you really do have an image that's truly cinematic in a way most ordinary TVs can only dream about.

Anyway, however hard I look for trouble, the bottom line is that the P46Z1 is a truly sensational picture performer, delivering - especially with HD - KURO-beating picture quality of a standard Panasonic has only previously been able to produce on its megabucks professional or custom installation screens. And it does this, let's not forget, via a completely wireless and utterly stable connectivity system."

i agree 100% with this reviewer. This plasma technology has moved ahead of every other technology. While long overdue its very welcome for those who like to be amazed.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/re...n-Plasma-TV/p4

OK. You like it very much, but what are the technical specs on the product?

I notice that you say that you were not impressed with the Pioneer Kuro Elite, but you then go on to say that you feel that the Pioneer Engineers, are the ones who made the Z1 so impressive looking.

What do you think was the cause of those Pioneer engineers being able to surpass their best efforts at Pioneer.

Could it be that they were provided with better nutrition in the Panasonic cafeteria?

Inquiring minds want to know, and since you are our Oracle, naturally we turn to you to make all things clear.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Everything I've read here and elsewhere has indicated that the Z1 and V10 utilize identical guts.

The only difference is the AR filter which will obviously make for better performance in a showroom.

In a moderately lit to dark room, I don't see why they wouldn't look identical.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird8450 /forum/post/16964994

Everything I've read here and elsewhere has indicated that the Z1 and V10 utilize identical guts.

The only difference is the AR filter which will obviously make for better performance in a showroom.

Of course. All the OP has done is eyeball the set in the store. Further more, the review that he is praising did not do any technical evaluating of the display. They did not measure or tweak grayscale, gamma etc, so that is just another eyeball report. My God! that guy sure did use a torrent of flowery language to get across that he liked how it looked.

So, it would appear that those Pioneer Engineers, that the OP referred to, must be given credit for just having stirred up a magical brew of AR filter soup.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Quote:

Here Here. I must concur.

·
Registered
407 Posts

Quote:

V10 guts don't fit inside Z1 chassis. I hope you find better sources for information.

·
Registered
19,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpbandaid /forum/post/16965140

V10 guts don't fit inside Z1 chassis. I hope you find better sources for information.

The base PDP module is identical. Video processor is the same. Driver software is the same. The PDP driver is identical in performance to the V (yes its physical design is different because it has to go into a slimmer chassis... ditto on the power supply). PQ wise, there is no difference between the V10 and Z1 beyond that front filter which will be on most Panasonics next year.

I hope you can find better sources Sampo instead of your employer.

·
Registered
19,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpbandaid /forum/post/16965333

Maybe in THX mode like in the shootout. Shows true skills.

Sampo, you have zero credibility in anything you attempt to post. What is it now? The members of avforum aren't paying you any attention so your back over here again? You really need to get a new MO.

·
Registered
407 Posts
So you did calibrate the display in THX mode after all. The mods closed that other thread to save last remainings of your "credibility" after you were exposed. If you cant even choose right mode for Panasonic, you must be real expert on those displays. Especially on inner workings.

·
Registered
19,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpbandaid /forum/post/16965663

So you did calibrate the display in THX mode after all.

No. It was calibrated in Custom mode due to it being in a 2 story windowed great room. Custom was the the best mode for the high ambient lighting and the owner requested I increase the peak brightness to 66fL ad sacrifice a linear grayscale because 57fL felt too dim for their tastes in that very bright greatroom..

Quote:
The mods closed that other thread to save last remainings of your "credibility" after you were exposed. If you cant even choose right mode for Panasonic, you must be real expert on those displays. Especially on inner workings.

Your baiting isn't working. However, I'm sure the mods would love to ban your ass again like they have 10 times over the past 3 years. Still using those lame proxies to attempt to hide your location?

·
Registered
407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/16965694

No. It was calibrated in Custom mode due to it being in a 2 story windowed great room. Custom was the the best mode for the high ambient lighting and the owner requested I increase the peak brightness to 66fL ad sacrifice a linear grayscale because 57fL felt too dim for their tastes in that very bright greatroom..

So the Z1 was in custom mode and G10 in THX mode? I mean do you have any calibration data?

1 - 20 of 140 Posts