AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've recently acquired a Panasonic ZT60 Plasma TV and the picture is absolutely phenomenal. However sadly there is an issue with it, it has some semi noticeable 4:3 burn-in on it. Is there any consensus or advice on how to fix this? Someone told me I should use a reverse 4:3 image pattern. I don't know if that's a good idea or not. I've used that test for a couple hours but it still hasn't completely fixed the issue. I'm pretty sure it helped, I think it is better than it was originally, but I'm not sure if that's a placebo or not. Below is the picture of the reverse 4:3 pattern, with light grey bars on the left and right side of the TV.

The burn-in appears most prevalent on blue, green, and yellow, with it being practically completely unnoticeable on Red. The image appears darker in the center and brighter at the left and right sides of the screen.

Additional details, for TV shows and movies with dim scenes/environments, or even normal room lighting, the 4:3 burn-in isn't really noticeable. Something like an indoor scene from the Office or Parks and Recreation it's hard to notice the burn-in unless you are really looking for it. However bright scenes like outdoors can be fairly noticeable, especially if you have a bright blue sky and then the left and right side of the image look like a nice natural blue while the center looks more dark and yellowed. The last detail is that the TV only has about 1600 hours on it.

All advice and opinions on this is greatly appreciated! I love this TV, even with the burn-in, but if I could cure it that would just be awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
In general one gets uneven wear with lots of black bar content. With a dark screen in a dark room these black bar areas are less dark, when there is lots of heavy black bar abuse like 10 hours a day on a regular basis it will affect non dark areas to i guess. I own a Pioneer Plasma which only has uneven wear in dark scenes after several years lots of movies black bars up to max 5 hours a day, one must triple that to get the sort of effect that your TV shows. I think you are way beyond reversal.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
So I've recently acquired a Panasonic ZT60 Plasma TV and the picture is absolutely phenomenal. However sadly there is an issue with it, it has some semi noticeable 4:3 burn-in on it. Is there any consensus or advice on how to fix this? Someone told me I should use a reverse 4:3 image pattern. I don't know if that's a good idea or not. I've used that test for a couple hours but it still hasn't completely fixed the issue. I'm pretty sure it helped, I think it is better than it was originally, but I'm not sure if that's a placebo or not. Below is the picture of the reverse 4:3 pattern, with light grey bars on the left and right side of the TV.

The burn-in appears most prevalent on blue, green, and yellow, with it being practically completely unnoticeable on Red. The image appears darker in the center and brighter at the left and right sides of the screen.

Additional details, for TV shows and movies with dim scenes/environments, or even normal room lighting, the 4:3 burn-in isn't really noticeable. Something like an indoor scene from the Office or Parks and Recreation it's hard to notice the burn-in unless you are really looking for it. However bright scenes like outdoors can be fairly noticeable, especially if you have a bright blue sky and then the left and right side of the image look like a nice natural blue while the center looks more dark and yellowed. The last detail is that the TV only has about 1600 hours on it.

All advice and opinions on this is greatly appreciated! I love this TV, even with the burn-in, but if I could cure it that would just be awesome.
Agree with the above post ^^. Looks like the prior owner watched 4:3 content almost exclusively if the TV only has 1600 hours on it. You may have to run the reverse 4:3 picture for hundreds of hours to even out the brightness across the screen.
That a real shame.

Reactions: Harry27

·
Premium Member
18,274 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This may help reduce it and maybe even eliminate it eventually.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1474480-official-zt60-owners-thread-373.html#post56408846

Thanks for sharing the link Randy! It is very much appreciated. I think you and I have a similar philosophy to fixing image retention since I also believe in running a lot of nature documentaries to fix IR over time. I'll definitely try that pixel jogger, however the TV is sadly in a room where I can't run it a lot since there's people around. You are definitely right the scrolling white bar is more of a diagnostics, I tried running it multiple times and it didn't help at all (Might have made things worse but probably a placebo)

I fear heat damage happening to the ZT60 since from what I've heard it can be a problem, so I try not to have the panel running on mid luminance or high for any prolonged period of time (which is probably slowing down the healing process). Definitely good to hear those methods helped you and other people. Any thought on the reverse 4:3 image fix?

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
It is a 2013 TV. 1000ish hours is suspect afaik...maybe hours were reset.. It looks to me like that TV should be able to handle 1600 hours of 4:3 black bars. I am not a believer in reducing or undoing such damage btw.

·
Registered
27 Posts
With so little hours on it, i would just keep feeding it normal content that fills the screen and hopefully it goes away on its own. Awesome score, I'd love to find a ZT60 or VT60 deal like that... It's like still new.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Someone told me I should use a reverse 4:3 image pattern. I don't know if that's a good idea or not. I've used that test for a couple hours but it still hasn't completely fixed the issue. I'm pretty sure it helped, I think it is better than it was originally, but I'm not sure if that's a placebo or not. Below is the picture of the reverse 4:3 pattern, with light grey bars on the left and right side of the TV.
Yes, this is the most logical and probably the best way to fix it, but it may take a few 10s hours or even a few hundred hours. It's your best bet though.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
BTW, from the pictures it's not bad at all. You should be able to eliminate it with that reverse pattern in not more than a few hundred hours.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
On the pictures I only see a banding on the left side.. Not on the right..

Are you sure these are 4:3 aspect ratio related lines?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts