AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought members might find the following of interest from an article on Panasonic's new cable ready line to be in stores by Xmas...from This Week In Consumer Electronics;

"Panasonic also announced the 60W-inch DT-60LC13 (ships in late October at a $3,999 suggested retail) three-panel LCD-based rear-projection HDTV monitor, as the largest model in its 2003 lineup. The micro-device-based display has 1280 by 720 pixel resolution, dual NTSC tuners with picture-in-picture function and both SD and PCMCIA memory card slots with Panasonic's Photo Viewer software. Connectors include two PC inputs, three HD component video inputs, and three S-video inputs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been waiting for info on this model for weeks. I am looking for the dimensions. I have contacted Panasonic several times with no success. Anyone have any info yet? Will this model be cable ready? I have a specific space in mind and need to know the depth.

I have read this same press release several times from various sources but cannot find any additional information.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is not a cable ready model but they will have a 60" that is....can't link you to entire article, only my second post, but the following excerpt should clarify;

"Panasonic plans to deliver a total of six digital-cable-ready HDTV sets over the next 90 days, said Ed Wolff, Panasonic display group merchandising VP. The first model slated to ship — the 53W-inch rear-projection set, model PT-53WXD63 — will carry a $2,299 suggested retail price when it ships at the end of September. It includes an integrated ATSC tuner, two NTSC tuners, picture-in-picture, BBE audio system and the new HDMI-HDCP digital input.

All six planned digital-cable-ready models will have fully integrated ATSC tuners and will produce full HDTV resolution, Wolff said. All will also include slots for forthcoming CableCARDs that cable operators will supply to allow consumers to view authorized scrambled channels.

When used with a CableCARD, the sets will eliminate the need for separate cable-decoder boxes and outboard over-the-air tuners. The new models will also include SD and PCMCIA memory card slots to simplify the viewing of digital photos from many digital cameras on screen.

Wolff did not formally announce model numbers or pricing on the five other digital-cable-ready sets at the firm's CEDIA press event because final pricing was still being decided. However, he told TWICE that the company would likely ship in November digital-cable-ready LCD-based rear-projection HDTV sets in the 50W- (approximately $3,600 suggested) and 60W-inch (approximately $4,600 suggested) screen sizes. Panasonic will also have a digital-cable-ready 47W-inch CRT-based HDTV set, model PT47WXD63, in October with an approximate suggested retail of $2,100."

·
Registered
550 Posts
The 50" set has 2 VGA, 1 DVI. I guess the DVI isn't considered "PC input" by the marketing people even though you can connect a PC to it.

The press releases don't mention IEEE1394 at all for the digital cable ready sets. Seems likely they won't have any, since they'd mention it if they did. So you will still need an outboard STB if you ever want to record anything, or use any two-way VOD / PPV features. May not be worth $600 to most people just to have an extra tuner around to watch live while your other tuner(s) are tied up recording something else.

Are there many people out there who really have no interest in PVR, recording in general, and are content to just watch everything live? Seems like this the only subset where the need for an outside box is truly eliminated.

·
Registered
13,486 Posts
I guess most people, myself include, who watch TV over cable exclusively never really have PVR experience and not that excited about it especially if it costs $$$ to get it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Does anyone have the dimensions on this set? I'm in the process of building a new cabinet and want to make sure if I decide to purchase this TV it will fit.

Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
Does anyone have the dimensions on this set? I'm in the process of building a new cabinet and want to make sure if I decide to purchase this TV it will fit.

Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
This is not from Panasonic, but this reseller:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/sale4sure/pt-60lc13.html

Panasonic PT-60LC13 Widescreen Multimedia Displays LCD TV

VIDEO Screen Size diag. 60"

8-bit P-I-P Image Processing

JPEG Viewer

Brightness Level (cd/m2) TBA

Comb Filter - Motion-Adaptive 3D-Y/C

DTV - EDTV Monitor (480p)

DTV - HDTV Monitor (720p, 1080i)

Edge Correction - Horizontal* & Vertical**

First Surface Glass Mirror

Noise Reduction - Luminance

PC Display Capability (VGA, SVGA, XGA)

Progressive Cinema Scan -3/2 Pulldown

Progressive Scan Doubler - Enhanced

Resolution (pixels) 1280 x 720

Screen - Fine Pitch (0.155mm)

16:9 Aspect Ratio with Selectable 4:3 Scan Mode

Wideband Video Amplifier

AUDIO AI (Artificial Intelligence) Sound

Bass/Treble/Balance

BBE High Definition Sound

Closed Captioning on Mute

Speakers 2

Stereo Watts/Channel (1kHz, 8 ohms, 10% THD) 15W

Stereo/SAP with dbx NR

Surround Sound

JACKS A/V Component Video Inputs - Y, Pb, Pr 4

A/V Input Jacks (Rear/Front) 2/1

A/V Jacks - S-Video Inputs (Rear/Front) 2/1

SD Memory/PC Card Slot

Audio Output Jacks - Fixed

Optical Output (5-channel)

PC Audio Input (C3) 1/1

RF Output Jack

RGB Input (D-Sub15) (Rear/Front) 1/1

DVI I/F 1

UHF/VHF Input 75 Ohm 1

CONVENIENCE 181-Channel NTSC Tuner 2

Auto Power On

Auto Programmable Scan

Built-In Closed Caption Decoder

Channel Search

Clock & Sleep Timer Sleep timer

Parental Guidance(Ch Lock & GG)

Picture-in-Picture Capability 2T Split

P-I-P - 8-bit Image Processing

P-I-P - PC/Video

P-I-P - Scalable Size (1/16 to 1/4)

Programmable On/Off Timers Off

Recall/Rapid Tune

Remote-Lighted

SAP/DVS Button on Remote

Ready to Play

Trilingual Menu (English/Spanish/French)

V-Chip Program Lock Out (US/Canada)

Video Input Skip

Video Picture Memory (Std, Cinema, Vivid)

GENERAL Energy Star Qualification

Height (inches) 1050mm(41.3")

Width (inches) 1637mm(64.4")

Depth (inches) 459mm(18.1")

Weight (lbs) TBA

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks handydave, finally the info I have been looking for. That web site is now taking pre orders. They expect shipment in 2 to 3 weeks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Any news on this units release and availability?

·
Registered
980 Posts
By going with a 60 incher arent you just increasing the pq problems that the 50 has?

·
Registered
552 Posts
What, a $3300 TV has PQ problems? All kidding aside, of course a larger TV will sacrifice a certain amount of PQ for more of a widescreen, theater experience but with that thinking, no one would be building FP home theaters and everyone would be watching on 13" TVs. I guarantee a 13" screen will blow away a 42" screen all day long and for a fraction of the cost. I don't think that is what this forum is all about. Besides, if I watch a 60" screen at 15' and someone else watches a 42" screen at 5', who do you think will have the best picture? distance is important too. Having said all that, I understand what I think your point is and I don't know what the answer is for you but we all have to ballance viewing distance, screen size, and PQ to suit our needs. I wish there was a computer program that would spit out the right TV and screen size for me and my room. I thought a good selling point would be to make a TV that has a huge screen size for watching HD and DVDs and that would automatically reduce its viewing area to preserve quality for SD cable. The only thing that comes close is a FP system with a screen that comes down in front of a 31" tube TV (LOL). I have a 60" Sony ordered and wonder every day if its going to be too big but I certainly don't want to go too small.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.