AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Panasonic used to be the top Dog is quality. Now they have Discontinued all of there good models and the only thing left (also about to be Discontinued) is the Denon 1600

Question:

Now that Panasonic had gotten out of the high in DVD line,

Is there new DVD-s55s (for around $115) now there best single disk player?

I see in reviews the DVD-S55S Passes the waiving Flag tests.

Is there anything better in the 100 to $200 range if you only care about the picture quality?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The new Panasonic S35 and S55 are poor video quality. I tried one with the AVIA DVD test patterns and it gives a flickering artifact on many areas and I saw the flickering on text on regular DVD menus too. Its de-interlacer is poor compared to Faroudja. I say avoid these ones. I compared it with the new JVC under $100 models and the JVCs were superior, but the only good model available new now is the Denon DVD-1600, or go with an ebay Panasonic XP30 or XP50 - I snagged one.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What low end JVC models are good.

I know the Denon 1600 is the best in the 200 to $350 price range, but what about the low price end?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
I say the best under $100 DVD Player is the JVC N40BK, available now with a $20 rebate, so you can find it online for as low as $65 with that rebate. Of course nothing will match the Denon DVD1600 until you get to the $300 range. For most film-based movie DVDs the JVC is fine, but for video-based DVDs (like episodic TV series DVDs) the more advanced Faroudja de-interlacer in the more expensive models is a lot better resulting in a much sharper more detailed picture. Also some DVDs are improperly flagged and the cheaper DVD players have to drop to video mode resulting in the softer/blurier image. The Faroudja-based players can detect film mode without flags on the DVD however - so you get what you pay for. Luckily most DVDs are properly flagged, but you never know.

I recommend if you want the best quality at any price, go with the Denon DVD-1600 or similar. If you can't afford more that around $100 go with a JVC N40BK or N50BK (or the identical quality silver models N55SL, N55SL) models.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.