AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ignorant of the music streaming technology, so I have some questions.

If I purchase an AV receiver (thinking Pioneer Elite VSX-32 or Denon (19 something, can't remember now) that has internet capability-

1) must it have specific software (or hardware) to use the music channels (like Pandora (this is the only one I know of and the one that seems to be on every new Blu player and tv).

2) if the receiver has the appropriate software, hardware can everything be controlled from the receiver-I mean is there a visual display that allows you to navigate the site or must you have your tv on to do this (I like music most of the day and don't want to run my tv all of that time).

I would really appreciate any help to understand how to use these music streaming sites. Thanks

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 /forum/post/19648461

2) if the receiver has the appropriate software, hardware can everything be controlled from the receiver-I mean is there a visual display that allows you to navigate the site or must you have your tv on to do this (I like music most of the day and don't want to run my tv all of that time).

You need the TV turned on to navigate something like Pandora. It's a bit too complicated for most receivers' dinky readout. Once it gets going, you can turn the display off. But if you need to change stations or see what is playing, you'll have to turn it back on. I suppose you can memorize the remote's keystrokes and avoid using a TV, but I wouldn't be a fan of doing that.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/0

Do you have an iTouch/Phone/Pad?

...or a laptop with Bluetooth?

The easiest way to use Pandora on the Pioneer is to purchase the optional Bluetooth adapter (~$30 on sale), and then wirelessly stream the audio from an iDevice or laptop using stereo Bluetooth.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Using a larger screen such as your TV is definitely helpful but not necessary. I have an Onkyo TX-NR808 and I have no problem controlling the the internet radio functions via the remote and receiver alone. I sit about 10 - 12 feet from the receiver and can see the display just fine.

My suggestion is if this is really important to you to visit a store where you can demo the features of the receiver. I can only speak of my receiver.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
another "easy" way to get Pandora (and Netflix if you are interested) on to just about any a/v receiver is to use the "Western Digital TV Live Plus" set top box.

It connects to your internet router (does not include wi-fi, so a CAT5e wired connection is used unless you purchase a USB wi-fi adapter). The box also allows you to stream music stored on a USB memory stick or USB hard drive, also accesses "disk shares" over the network if the music or video files are stored on a computer on the network.

If you are looking at the Pioneer Elite VSX-32, it is functionally the same as the currently sale priced VSX-1120 (minus the amber display, 12v trigger circuit, elite stick on, and 2nd year of warranty) I do not know specifically if the Pioneer VSX units with internet radio include Pandora service, it's not mentioned in their specs. http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-11...2427495&sr=8-1

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter
another "easy" way to get Pandora (and Netflix if you are interested) on to just about any a/v receiver is to use the "Western Digital TV Live Plus" set top box.

It connects to your internet router (does not include wi-fi, so a CAT5e wired connection is used unless you purchase a USB wi-fi adapter). The box also allows you to stream music stored on a USB memory stick or USB hard drive, also accesses "disk shares" over the network if the music or video files are stored on a computer on the network.

If you are looking at the Pioneer Elite VSX-32, it is functionally the same as the currently sale priced VSX-1120 (minus the amber display, 12v trigger circuit, elite stick on, and 2nd year of warranty) I do not know specifically if the Pioneer VSX units with internet radio include Pandora service, it's not mentioned in their specs. http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-11...2427495&sr=8-1
Just wondering, does the 1120 use the same amps as the elite vsx32? I really don't want to sacrifice sound quality for price (althogh that's a great price).

Thanks

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 /forum/post/0

Just wondering, does the 1120 use the same amps as the elite vsx32? I really don't want to sacrifice sound quality for price (althogh that's a great price).

Thanks

The only differences are: the vsx32 has a 12v trigger port, a yellow-text LCD (instead of white), a gold "Elite" badge, and a 2-year warranty (instead of 1).

Everything else is identical.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts