AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of upgrading my "old" Integra 8.2 receiver(non HDMI) to a Integra 40.2. I noticed the Integra has Pandora internet radio and it looks promising. Does anyone have experience with Pandora and what are your thoughts. The reason for my question is we just dumped Dish Network for Direct and I gave up the Sirius/XM channels.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I currently stream Pandora from an iTouch2G directly to an AirportExpress and an AppleTV over a wirelessN network and it's GREAT. SQ is good but the accessability to new music and the portability and control functions are waht really make it.

I was going to go the route you suggest with a Network AVR, but i think that the feature is too far in it's infancy stage and there's more adept stand alone networking devices for less $$$ than the cost of the network upgrade in an AVR lineup.

P.S. Most major AVR mfgrs are adding 3rd party support for Apple's Airplay streaming with Marantz having functionality available in Jan 2011 and others soon to follow. I'd wait it out a few months if possible BUT if you have an iTouch/Phone/Pad already grab an ATV for $99 and try it out now. It might be enough to satisfy.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az /forum/post/19635422

I am thinking of upgrading my "old" Integra 8.2 receiver(non HDMI) to a Integra 40.2. I noticed the Integra has Pandora internet radio and it looks promising. Does anyone have experience with Pandora and what are your thoughts. The reason for my question is we just dumped Dish Network for Direct and I gave up the Sirius/XM channels.

Jeff

I am a huge Pandora fan. You'll need a fairly expensive networking receiver however, and the interface built into the receivers isn't always the best (i.e. my Denon 3311's interface could definitely stand to be improved). Also know that Pandora on ALL in-home devices such as receivers and blu-ray players only streams at 128k vs. 192k for the Pandora One desktop application.

Alternate options:

1. Almost all new blu-ray players on the market come with Pandora built in. They will also stream at 128k and may/may not have a better interface than the receiver. This is a good option if you're also looking for a new blu-ray player, as most now offer netflix, pandora, etc.

2. Apple TV hooked up through the receiver with software running on your mac/pc called "Airfoil" ($29 I think). I use this in conjunction with the Pandora One desktop client ($36/year for unlimited Pandora use and higher quality bitrates) as it streams at 192k vs. 128k for all receivers and blu-ray players. I also like the interface of the desktop app better and my laptop is always on and in front of me when I'm home. The Airfoil application just sends the audio to the Apple TV instead of your computer speakers - very cool.

Whichever option you choose, Pandora is great in my opinion if you spend some time customizing your station(s) by adding artist & song seeds of your favorite artists/songs and using the thumbs-up and thumbs-down feature when songs come on that you really like/dislike. Your stations improve more and more as you do this.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/19635636

I currently stream Pandora from an iTouch2G directly to an AirportExpress and an AppleTV over a wirelessN network and it's GREAT. SQ is good but the accessability to new music and the portability and control functions are waht really make it.

Have you considered using Airfoil and the Pandora desktop client? You'll get 192k MP3 by doing so instead of 64k AAC+ which is the highest quality available on the iOS app (and requires wifi connectivity to achieve this bitrate).

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Checking in with Pandora streamed to my Onkyo TX-NR807. I set up and tweak my accounts on my computer, and just let it stream to my receiver and the big speakers. Occasionally I'll thumb up/down a song on my receiver, but only if Pandora decides to play something really good/bad.

Pandora is one of those things that really benefits from maximum user input. The more you add songs to a station to your taste and tell it what you like/don't like, the more in tune with you it becomes.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If you have a receiver (or device hooked to your receiver) that can talk to Win Media, there's a program that can send any PC audio through that interface. I tried it in beta, it was cool, and I used it for Pandora. My receiver supported Win Media streaming (DLNA,) but not Pandora.

I forget the name at the moment.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
stream pandora through my Denon A100 all the time.. 128k does not sound bad at all.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I failed to mention that the other reason I was wanting to upgrade the receiver was an audio dropout issue with 1st Dish and then Direct, but only in DD mode when turned on in the Direct receiver. Doesn't happen when in all channel stereo or stereo, and I have change wires from optical to coax and still the same problem.

Jeff

·
Registered
686 Posts
I stream Pandora over my Integra DTR-80.1 and love it. Like someone mentioned earlier, the more you use Pandora (and specify your likes and dislikes) the more it customizes itself to your musical preferences.

When I bought my AVR, Pandora wasn't foremost on my mind. I mainly did the hardwired ethernet connection so that I could quickly and reliably perform the factory firmware updates, but since Pandora is included in Integra's menu choices (and it's free) I decided to check it out. I'm really glad that I did

I've had no dropout issues with DirecTV (H21-200 receiver) in DD mode, but that could be because it's connected to my AVR via HDMI. I just don't know because it's been trouble free so I haven't had the need to research it.

Cheers,

SB

Edited to add: My DirecTV subscription includes XM radio.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I use Pandora all the time, both on my Android phone and on my PC. The PC is currently how I get the music to the home audio system (using a 5.8GHz RF link) but I'm planning to try it from my phone to the home system via a Bluetooth receiver on one of my processor's inputs. This would let me easily control the Pandora stream from the couch using my phone as the remote.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The Apple Airport Express is a great device for streaming audio. I use it every day to stream music to my living rooms stereo system. It's great to have the additional feature of being able to do this directly from your iPhone but I usually stream directly from my iMac. I use both Pandora and Rhapsody and the Airport Express makes an easy and relativity inexpensive way to do this. I use an application called Airfoil to send music from any program--the Pandora Player, Firefox, Safari--anything that can play music.

I was wondering about the built in Pandora and Rhapsody feature in the Denon--too bad it doesn't seem to be ready for prime time.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I don't know how Pandora is on the Denon, but on the Onkyo it works seamlessly once you get past the initial setup. The only thing that isn't available is adding new songs/artists, but I'd rather do that from my computer rather than the receiver (or an iPhone, for that matter.)

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/0

I don't know how Pandora is on the Denon, but on the Onkyo it works seamlessly once you get past the initial setup. The only thing that isn't available is adding new songs/artists, but I'd rather do that from my computer rather than the receiver (or an iPhone, for that matter.)

I'd actually consider that a deal-breaker for me. I don't think I'd enjoy Pandora nearly as much if I couldn't add new stations on-the-fly...

That's like Netflix on certain devices where you can't modify the queue... it's just lame.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I have a Integra dhc-80.1 which has pandora, internet radio and sirius built in via a lan. I use pandora from time to time, it works well.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19642764

I'd actually consider that a deal-breaker for me. I don't think I'd enjoy Pandora nearly as much if I couldn't add new stations on-the-fly...

You can make a song that is playing into a new station from the receiver, and then thumb up/down songs that play on that, but adding a specific song/artist to that station would require typing in the song/artist name, which on a receiver would be extremely clunky. If you have your computer handy, you can do that from there and the receiver will immediately get that input. When I'm listening to it, I usually have my laptop nearby to tweak it, but that's pretty rare for me to want to do that.

I only have about five or six stations and just add music to them, rather than creating a new station for one specific song.

I'll have to fire up my system tonight to see all the things you can do with Pandora on the receiver again. I'm kind of hazy on all the details, though I was messing with it this weekend.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/19642509

I use Pandora all the time, both on my Android phone and on my PC. The PC is currently how I get the music to the home audio system (using a 5.8GHz RF link) but I'm planning to try it from my phone to the home system via a Bluetooth receiver on one of my processor's inputs. This would let me easily control the Pandora stream from the couch using my phone as the remote.

I would love to do exactly this. I am not thrilled about using my bluray player for Pandora, because I have a front projector, and don't want to have to fire up my projector, everytime I want to play Pandora. It would be terrific to use and control it through my Android phone. Any ideas on whether or not certain blutooth receivers produce better audio quality than others?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* /forum/post/19646733

I would love to do exactly this. I am not thrilled about using my bluray player for Pandora, because I have a front projector, and don't want to have to fire up my projector, everytime I want to play Pandora. It would be terrific to use and control it through my Android phone. Any ideas on whether or not certain blutooth receivers produce better audio quality than others?

No, sorry. I'm just starting to research this, myself.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts