AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago, while playing audio in WMP 10, my computer restarted itself. When it came on, the screen looked aweful.

Computer info is as follows:

P4 2.4

Asus P4P800e-Deluxe

Chaintech 6600GT

Corsair xl series 512 mb ram

Windows XP SP2.

So, here is a detailed description of the problem. When I turn the computer on, the Asus screen comes on perfect; if I go into the bios, it still looks perfect. Then the Windows XP loading screen comes up (the one with the moving green/blue squares), and the squares run all the way across the screen (not just in the little box like usual). Then, Windows loads up, and the screen looks like there are green blocks/lines all over it, and everything is pretty much illegible (you can see what should be there through the green lines, but you can't read anything).

I tried a complete system restore (with norton ghost) to a point where only Windows was installed. Still looks crappy.

Then, I tried installing the Nvidia drivers over and over again. Each time, when it says something like installing compnents (about half way through), the computer restarts itself.

Finally, I tried plugging a different power plug into the card. No difference.

Chaintech support stinks, and has been unhelpful thus far. They have asked me to upgrade mb bios (which is already up to date), reinstall Windows (which didn't help), and to try a different monitor (which made no difference). They seem to want to blame everything but the card.

Anybody had this happen before? Any ideas on what it could be?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Wad

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
What's your display device? Using VGA to VGA? Or DVI to ...?

Any Yellow marks in the Device Manager?

How about if you boot into Windows Safe Mode?

Hammer

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried two displays: nec lt240k projector and sony monitor. Both connect through VGA cable. Safe mode didn't help at all.

And, I can't see any yellow marks in Device Manager (screen is too messed up). But, it won't let me install the drivers (see original post).

Wad

·
Registered
724 Posts
I had what sounds like the same deal with a Asus board and a ATI 9800 Pro.

After lots of messing around and trying the vid card in other machines.

Bottomline, I had to buy a new video card

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you are able to get technical support, that is good in and of itself. Chaintech is trying to go from the least to worst reason which would be the card. That's normal in troubleshooting. They are not "blaming" everything but the card. It is just good for them and you if it is something simple like BIOS or driver issues.

Many times when the PC restarts itself, it is a heating issue with the CPU or GPU. Your CPU fan may not be working properly. Also, The PSU could be ready to go. Another cause of reboots is bad memory.

If you want to rule out the graphics card, swap a card if you can get one or know someone who would let you test it out. If another card works, and you put yours back in and it doesn't, then if your card is under warranty, they should honor the warranty.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Boot to VGA mode or safe mode. If it's ok w/ that, then remove the card and reseat it.

Make sure the fan works......

·
Registered
26 Posts
When people start having problems like this, they rarely recognize the real problem behind the symptoms. Kinda like everyone blaming Microsoft for their bad operating systems when they are using questionable parts and software that cause the instability.

What brand/type of power supply do you have? With the power hungry computers today, the power supply is more important than people realize.

It is more often than not, the power supply. As you start doing video intensive operations, your video card consumes more power. The inadequate power supplies can't support the current load and the voltage drops to the point that is causes the computer to reset.

Also note, it is not good enough to have a generic 600W power supply as they rarely can support the power they claim. Look at your current power supply label and tell me what the current output on the +12V line is as well as the total power output.

·
Registered
2 Posts
try using a cheap/spare video card. do you have the same problem?

i'm guessing your card is overheating. i had the same problem with random reboots. i tried to skimp out on fans because i wanted a quiet pc, but ended up having poor ventilation.. and my vid card gets hot enough to fry an egg.

try touching the heatsink. is it hot enough to burn your hand?

also, not trying to sound like an ass, but check to see if you're vga connection is secure. i've had weird discolorations because the cable was loose

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My PSU is an Enermax 400 watt. My case is a Thermaltake full size tower with 8 fans installed. The cpu fans are running (areocool two fan), as is the video card fan. The enermax fan seems to be working well too. It doesn't restart during a Prime95 torture test, only when installing Nvidia drivers.

I will try to sub in a video card Monday (can't get a hold of one until then).

Any other suggestions in the mean time? Thanks for the responses. Any additional responses would be greatly appreciated.

Wad

·
Registered
41 Posts
I guess you have tried uninstalling the Nvidia drivers. Sometimes when you try to install drivers (nvidia) over themselves things can get pretty ugly. I would uninstall the drivers and then physically remove the video card from the computer. Go ahead and boot the machine let it come up and then just shut it down ( it may not even come up) . Put your card back in and then see what happens. I assume this is connected to a monitor?

You may need to get a registry cleaner to remove all the nvidia settings. I just use the control panel add - remove each time.

Come to think of it you may want to remove all the unneeded card from your computer just to avoid any conflicts. Like maybe just have the video card in there and that is all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.