AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my Panamorph (P752) the other day, and I have a bunch of questions for those already using it:

It came with no instructions, and the link on the site for the manual is broken, but I figured out how to download it anyway, but it really doesn't tell me what I need to know. I'm using a JVC G11U, mounted upside-down on the ceiling, but I've been doing some testing with the projector on a table, right-side-up. Questions:

1. Is there a top or bottom to the Panamorph? There is a wide and and a narrow end...and the narrow end has a metal piece on one side, somewhat like the visor on a baseball hat. The instructions seem to show it visor-side up. Does it matter?

2. When I have the projector on the table with the lens visor-side up, the image is compressed, but the top right side curves in to the left. The top left is fine. How is it supposed to be oriented? Also, the picture seems to show the top of the Panamorph parallel to the top of the projector; for mine, I have to have it pointing up from the projector.

3. I've read posts describing how the Panamorph shifts images down. Where did this information come from? From my tests, it properly compresses the image vertically, so the top of the image shifts down, but the bottom also moves up, leaving the center in place. In my mind, this means that the image hasn't shifted at all. Am I missing something? Is it aligned wrong?

4. I've also read posts describing how people have angled their projectors up or down. Why? It does not appear necessary...again, am I missing something?

5. Not a question, but directed to the Panamorph people: If you are going to sell a product for nearly $2,000, you'd better have clear, detailed documentation and a support line, or you are going to have more customer complaints and bad-mouthing than you can handle. I used to own a software company that produced high-priced, limited volume software, so I know this situation first-hand. Your current documentation is quite poor, and the total lack of a phone number anywhere is a real problem. When a customers receives their expensive new toys, they want to play with them NOW, and when there's a problem, they want answers NOW -- not by e-mail, on a forum, etc. I'm not in a position to complain, however, since I ordered mine a long time ago and that price didn't fall into this category.

Thanks for the help!

Seth

·
Registered
385 Posts
Seth, try calling Alan.....I don't think he would mind as he has a panny and has sold them through his store. In the interest of helping his forum members I think it would be OK for him to give you some pointers.

Jaime

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Seth,

It's quite simple really.....once you've done it. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

The "visor" is a light baffle. The end of it goes towards the Pj lens. It's on the bottom if you have the Pj table mounted, top for inverted. Stand to the side of the Pj with the 752 near the Pj lens and tilt the 752 in the bracket until the ballfe plate if perfectly level on a horizontal plane, assuming your Pj is perfectly level. When it's right, the baffle plate will be at a perfect right angle to the outer lens housing, looking at it from the side. Then take a tape and measure(and tilt in small amounts if needed)the image until you get a true 16:9 ratio.

Once you've got the hang of that, loosen the knobs and move the 752 up and down in the brackets, keeping the "perfect angle", until you get it centered vertically. You'll see the shadows on the upper and lower portion of your screen when you move it upwards or downwards too far. Find the middle, lock down the knobs and tilt again if need be to get the 16:9 ratio.

That's about it. See?? Really easy. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Chris

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
No problem Seth,

Good luck and please do tell what you think after you have time to watch a few things on it.

My experience was that at first I was so involved in looking to make sure the image was "perfectly correct" that I wasn't really spending any time just relaxing and taking in the movie. Once I settled down I really started to notice the differences. In watching movies that I've seen dozens of times, things would pop out at me and make me realize how much better things looked than BP(before Panamorph) http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

The dark cave scenes in Mask of Zorro

The Diva scene dark background in Fifth Element

The colors in the spaceport in Fifth Element

The colors in the football(?) game in Starship Troopers

A good scene to freeze on is the big gun on the outside of the ship in the start of ST. Have a look with the 752 and without the 752 in place while in pause. Big differences in shadow detail and clarity on the gun.

Chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! I didn't want to start making phone calls unless I knew I couldn't get answers here; I'm not a customer of Alan's (yet; ordering a screen next week most likely), so I felt it would be much more appropriate to put the questions here first.

CCLAY -- Thank you! What you said makes perfect sense! An extra few sentences in the instruction sheet would have cleared up a lot of things. I'll try it out over the next few days and post the results.

Seth

·
Registered
835 Posts
Seth,

I think Cygnus was most concerned about getting the Panamorph to all of us AVS'ers! Obviously, people who pre-ordered the Panamorph are not your average consumer and I'm sure everyone wanted the Panamorph ASAP, rather than waiting for nice instructions! I think the instructions will improve before the Panamorph starts at retail, after Shawn gets a little breather.

Regards,

Kam Fung

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.