AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe the laser assembly (or "pickup") on an EZ47 ram drive is faulty. I received the "noread" error with or without a DVD in the drive.

After cleaning the lens and spindle I received the same error.

I replaced the ram drive from an EZ17 and that allowed me to return the EZ47 to service.

I read that mickinct and DigaDo had some information about obtaining replacement laser parts. I have not found a parts source. All I know is that parts were on Ebay from a seller in Scotland.

I am curios if parts are still available and and the price.

I read that mickinct used 2006 parts. Does that mean that laser assemblies from 2006 work in 2007 machines. I see that 2006 laser part number is 3331A and my 2007 part is numbered 3332A.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by douart /forum/post/15554866

I believe the laser assembly (or "pickup") on an EZ47 ram drive is faulty. I received the "noread" error with or without a DVD in the drive.

I replaced the ram drive from an EZ17 and that allowed me to return the EZ47 to service.

I read that mickinct and DigaDo had some information about obtaining replacement laser parts. I have not found a parts source. All I know is that parts were on Ebay from a seller in Scotland.

I am curios if parts are still available and and the price.

I read that mickinct used 2006 parts. Does that mean that laser assemblies from 2006 work in 2007 machines. I see that 2006 laser part number is 3331A and my 2007 part is numbered 3332A.

The UK eBay seller uses the name gazglasgow. That seller is currently offering 3330 and 3331 laser assemblies. Mickinct would have more information concerning interchanging laser assemblies.

The 3331 is $43.66 USD and the 3330 is $65.50 USD. The 3331 listing has this title: Panasonic Laser RAF3331A-C DVD Recorder DMREX75

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You DigaDo,

I was looking at your profile and it said "DigaDo has not made any friends yet". I was amused by that so I clicked "Befriend DigaDo".

Think no more about that, although I do appreciate the effort and information you put into this forum.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by douart /forum/post/15554866

I replaced the ram drive from an EZ17 and that allowed me to return the EZ47 to service . . .

Perhaps Mickinct might clarify this.

Today, as an experiment, I replaced a 2007 DMR-EZ17 model’s mounted 3332A laser assembly and spindle assembly with a 2006 DMR-ES15 model’s mounted 3331A laser assembly and spindle assembly that had read and played discs but did not record discs while installed in the DMR-ES15. As the DMR-EZ17 has an onboard DVD Drive controller board, the shorter laser assembly ribbon cable was swapped to the 3331A laser assembly during installation. The ribbon cable hard wired to the spindle assembly had damaged contacts at the other end. That ribbon cable’s contact strip was trimmed back to provide contact uniformity.

The experiment was a failure as the DVD Drive did not spin-up, returning a “no read” error.

An experiment for another day will be to swap the 2007 spindle assembly with the 2006 spindle assembly.

Photo one is a comparison view of the ribbon cable arrangements of the 2006 DVD Drive on the left and the 2007 DVD Drive on the right. Photo two shows the 2006 3331A laser assembly indicia. Photo three shows the 2007 3332A laser assembly indicia. Photo four shows the spindle assembly ribbon cable’s damaged contact strip. Photo five shows the trimmed-back contact strip of the spindle assembly’s ribbon cable.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
HELLO PANA FANS , WHEN I replaced the laser assm, in these and others I replace just the laser not the whole assembly with motor etc. YOU must carefully remove it off the rails...DIGA THAT could be the problem or a bad connect,try reversing back to es15 and see if it comes back to life...

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Today I continued DMR-EZ17 experimentation with the transplanted DMR-ES15 laser assembly by swapping in the original DMR-EZ17 spindle and laser motor/shaft assemblies.

The short ribbon cable attached to the original DMR-EZ17 motor/shaft assembly was difficult to orient to its connector as the ribbon cable seemed a little too short. I soon discovered the reason. Following reassembly the DMR-EZ17 persisted with the no read error and the DVD Drive still didn't spin up. Upon closer examination of the first photo I observed that the laser motor/shaft assembly's copper brown ribbon cable is oriented the opposite way than the three other ribbon cables connected to the DVD Drive controller board, i.e., the ribbon cable gripping tabs for the disc tray open/close motor, the laser assembly and the spindle motor face upward while the ribbon cable gripping tab for the laser motor/shaft assembly faces downward. Once the laser motor/shaft assembly's ribbon cable connection was reoriented the DVD Drive was able to spin-up.

The outcome was not much better. The DVD Drive continued to return the no read error, this time accompanied with clunking and errrp noises, typical of DVD Drives with a failed laser assembly.

Photo two shows the spindle and the laser assembly mounting panel. Photo three shows spindle assembly and laser motor/shaft assembly mounting detail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts