AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been around here for a while... Happy New Year to all.

I've been burning discs with this thing for a long time. A recent move had it riding in the cab of my pickup for 2000 miles.

I tried my first DVD-R transfer from the HDD last night and no-go. Six coaster in a row. Cheesy Memorex media, maybe? I picked up a 50 stack of Imation today and these don't even get far enough for coasters. "This is non-reordable disc" was all.

Are the x16 discs incompatible with the E80 or do I need to buy another brand of blank?

The unit transfers to DVD-RAM just fine,

BC

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcrow /forum/post/15434132

I haven't been around here for a while... Happy New Year to all.

I've been burning discs with this thing for a long time. A recent move had it riding in the cab of my pickup for 2000 miles.

I tried my first DVD-R transfer from the HDD last night and no-go. Six coaster in a row. Cheesy Memorex media, maybe? I picked up a 50 stack of Imation today and these don't even get far enough for coasters. "This is non-reordable disc" was all.

Are the x16 discs incompatible with the E80 or do I need to buy another brand of blank?

The unit transfers to DVD-RAM just fine,

BC

Memorex is among the poorest quality media.

To use 16X discs you should run the latest firmware for your model.

Do not attempt to use +R or +RW discs on your model.

Your DVD drive most likely needs to have the rubber hub cleaned. See this post and those that follow it for advice and photos of 2005 and newer DVD drives:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

·
Registered
384 Posts
By dubbing to a RAM you confirmed the E80 is working properly and the problem is with the DVD-R. I previously owned two E80's and ran a firmware update to enable the units to read 16X DVDs. I obtained the update from Panasonic's website. I followed their instructions by dubbing the firmware to a CD-R and running the program in both recorders. The recorders were then able to read 16X DVD-R's.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie6 /forum/post/15441577

By dubbing to a RAM you confirmed the E80 is working properly and the problem is with the DVD-R. I previously owned two E80's and ran a firmware update to enable the units to read 16X DVDs. I obtained the update from Panasonic's website. I followed their instructions by dubbing the firmware to a CD-R and running the program in both recorders. The recorders were then able to read 16X DVD-R's.

Another possible cause may be a near full hdd. I experienced dubbing to -R problems once. I could dub to RAM, but not an -R disc. When I deleted some material from the drive, I was then able to dub to an -R disc.

So, the OP might want to see how full his drive is, and if he can offload some shows to RAM, then delete those, to see if the 80 can then proceed with -R transfers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.