AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just signed up for HD service through timewarner cable. I have the Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR box. It is hooked up to my Denon 3805 via component and then feeding into the Panny. The HD looks great on the set.

The problem is when I watch SD content. I can't seem to stretch the screen using the aspect button on the Panny remote.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around this? I'd like not to sacrifice picture quality... if possible

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
199 Posts
You need to use the remote from the cable box. It is the # button on the remote. It will zoom or stretch. I work for TWC so if you have any other questions ask away.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. That helps a lot. Its a shame that there is no "JUST" mode but stretch is better than the bars...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the same set and the SA8000dvr. Under settings, I can change the formats to passthrough, fixed, upconvert1, and upconvert2. I use pass through, and that allows the panny to adjust aspect ratio (full, just, zoom) on SD (480i) content. On hd 4:3, I use the cable box remote to adjust.(1080i signal locks out panny aspect ratio)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can also change the settings from passthrough, fixed, upconvert1, and upconvert2. Unfortunately, on the cable box display the resolution never changes from 1080i no matter what I choose. The auto light is lit up at all options except fixed.

Basically no matter what i pick it sends 1080i. Any ideas? Could i have a faulty box?

With 1080i I can not change the aspect ratio on the TV and am forced to use the time warner stretch mode..

Thanks

·
Registered
362 Posts
There is a set up mode on the box you access by pushing two buttons on the front of the cable box while it is off and you then can select the valid modes 480i, 480p etc.. Do a search in the Cable Box forum for it, there should be some instructions there..

mc

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m in New York City and just upgraded my Time Warner cable to DVR with Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000HD. Since the upgrade, I am seeing intermittent picture distortion with pixilation and sometimes sound cuts out for a second or two. I love the features of time shifting and dual tuner recording but due to the diminished HD viewing experience I am considering going back to the basic pioneer tuner box. Is anyone else seeing these problems? Is the 8300 dvr any better?

·
Registered
119 Posts
The sound problems do occur from time to time. I have seen very little pixelation issues. The sound issues seems to be only on digital sound through the digital output. I leave my tv volume up a little (through RCA jacks), and when the digital sound drops for a second, the tv sound is still there. I think it is a software issue with the SA8000HD box. But I tolerate the minimal dropouts for the advantage of time shifting and recording HD.

There are two versions of software on the SA8000HD box, SARA and Passport. I'm on SARA in Houston, but I think NY is on Passport. There is a lot of info on the HDTV Recorders forum, with separate threads for SARA and Passport.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gutowskia
I’m in New York City and just upgraded my Time Warner cable to DVR with Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000HD. Since the upgrade, I am seeing intermittent picture distortion with pixilation and sometimes sound cuts out for a second or two. I love the features of time shifting and dual tuner recording but due to the diminished HD viewing experience I am considering going back to the basic pioneer tuner box. Is anyone else seeing these problems? Is the 8300 dvr any better?
You are not alone --- Time Warner has been having significant problems in NYC with the DVR boxes. It seems to be getting better, but I'm not sure if it's working as it should be yet. Here's a link to the TW NYC thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=297592

and here's one to the 8000HD thread for those with passport software (which is what we have in NYC)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=453804

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.