AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am helping a friend with a home theatre setup and we have it narrowed down between two sets, the panny TH-50pz800u and the samsung pn50a550. Both sets can be had for between 1400-1700 and that is the price range we are trying to stay in. I myself have the panasonic th42pz80u and love it, which is why i first recommended he get a panasonic, only in the 50 inch size. He then found this samsung which has favorable reviews and can be found for less money than the panasonic.


My question is, which TV is the better buy? Spec wise they are similar, i've just never had experience with samsung plasmas so im looking for some 3rd party input on the two sets. If the panasonic is a better by is the 800U worth the extra price over either the 80u or 85u? The main reason we were looking at the 800 is because it has 3 hdmi ports on back instead of 2 and since this is all going to be wall mounted we wanted the extra port on back in case of a future HDMI addition.


I always come to these forums for AV help and I'm hoping i can get some good insight on to which of these TV's is the better set. On a different note, if you feel there is a better option than either of these that is under 1800, please feel free to recommend it.


Thanks!


Edit: If a mod reads this please fix my error in the spelling of panasonic in the title
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I've had both sets in my home before returning them both. I returned the the Panny because standard def lacked detail and I watch a good bit of it. I'm guessing that Panasonic applies a good bit of noise reduction even with the user controls set to off. The Sammy has an acceptable level of detail, although more grain as a consequence. I think my Samsung had better blacks than my Panasonic although many say otherwise about their sets/experiences. Once I adjusted the color settings according to one of the configurations posted in the Sammy forum, the colors appeared spot on to me. The effect is much more powerful than I would have expected. Faces often looked too red on the Panasonic, though otherwise it looked very good.


Ultimately, I returned the Sammy because it had screen uniformity issues (gray horizontal bands) and even more importantly, it made a loud, electrical popping noise intermittently. I'm waiting now to see what's reported from CES at the end of the week before trying again. For the money, the Samsung is a brilliant set, especially if you can find one without issues. I could live with the banding, but not a potential breakdown or fire!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,700 Posts
50PZ800U! Why? Because I have one and love it. THX mode out of the box is great. I've been enjoying mine since last Saturday!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Hello, I vote the Samsung for the same reason as the poster above...the colors are spot on accurate.


Although I would really recommend a bump up to the pn650 model...a better panel for the same price...I don't know if I can post this but I got one for 1599 at BB. Granted I had a bad one (a few stuck white pixel) but man it was amazing after the calibration! And the price speaks for itself.



Also I must admit, the Sammy left wanting a bit more brightness...but I really think that is just all plasmas...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy650 /forum/post/15467754


Hello, I vote the Samsung for the same reason as the poster above...the colors are spot on accurate.


Although I would really recommend a bump up to the pn650 model...a better panel for the same price...I don't know if I can post this but I got one for 1599 at BB. Granted I had a bad one (a few stuck white pixel) but man it was amazing after the calibration! And the price speaks for itself.



Also I must admit, the Sammy left wanting a bit more brightness...but I really think that is just all plasmas...

Yeah, i saw the pn650 model for about the same price after i made the post. Is there any way to turn off the red color?


Thanks for all the replies so far. Please keep them coming!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd2004 /forum/post/15469741


Yeah, i saw the pn650 model for about the same price after i made the post. Is there any way to turn off the red color?


Thanks for all the replies so far. Please keep them coming!

you cant turn off the red color, its the actual color of the bezel....and i would take the sammy, because i cant see paying the extra money, the same reason i would take the 85u over the sammy, i cant see paying the extra money
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
There's no turning it off, but I loved the touch of color....me and my girl friend nicknamed the t.v. "Big Red"


Its one of those things you either like or you don't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy650 /forum/post/15472160


There's no turning it off, but I loved the touch of color....me and my girl friend nicknamed the t.v. "Big Red"


Its one of those things you either like or you don't.

You're not a Nebraska fan, are you?



I've been in the same "decision" boat as the thread topic... I was dead set on the Th-50PZ80U by Panasonic, but after months of research and comparisons in different local stores and websites, I think I'm actually going to go with the PN50A650 by Samsung.

The colors look incredibly accurate, it has plenty of inputs and "tweaking" features.

One main thing that bothered me with all the Pansonics I looked at was that they had a red "push" to the picture which really turned me off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think we are leaning towards the 650 right now, just seems like a lot of TV for the money. Is there a certain thread with the proper break in settings and post break in settings?


I personally like the touch of color but he wasn't to crazy about the idea i don't think. Were doing an in wall installation along with mounting 3 speakers around the tv so he just doesn't want it to stick out too much.


Thanks for all the input!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd2004 /forum/post/15473108


I think we are leaning towards the 650 right now, just seems like a lot of TV for the money. Is there a certain thread with the proper break in settings and post break in settings?


I personally like the touch of color but he wasn't to crazy about the idea i don't think. Were doing an in wall installation along with mounting 3 speakers around the tv so he just doesn't want it to stick out too much.


Thanks for all the input!

you cant even notice it, once you see it, it wont stick out at all



for settings, the a550 and a650 pretty much are the same panel, the 650 just has more features so here's the thread you want, look at the first post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0a650+settings
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just read the review comparing the 85u and a650 on plasma tv buying guide and the reviewer said the panasonic is better suited for a bright room, well this tv is going in a bright room with a lot of windows...there is potential for curtains down the line which could help with some of the brightness. Taking this into consideration, what do you think would be better?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
The Panny definitely has a better screen for reducing glare... I'd say it's a noticeable difference.

Other than that, I don't think there is any difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalow /forum/post/15473627


The Panny definitely has a better screen for reducing glare... I'd say it's a noticeable difference.

Other than that, I don't think there is any difference.

i would say these two tv's are are both awesome, and i would get whichever one you can get a better deal on.....samsung, better colors, panny, better blacks....for me, the blacks mean more, so i will be buying the 85u....blacks are why i would be buying plasma over lcd anyway
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyraw /forum/post/15473735


i would say these two tv's are are both awesome, and i would get whichever one you can get a better deal on.....samsung, better colors, panny, better blacks....for me, the blacks mean more, so i will be buying the 85u....blacks are why i would be buying plasma over lcd anyway

I went with the Panny 850U and couldn't be more happier!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm /forum/post/15475212


I went with the Panny 850U and couldn't be more happier!

little out of my price range, great tv, congrats
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I have the th-50pz800u and love it. I got it from Amazon for a great price. The samsung is not bad though I just think the 800u is better. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
whats the diff between the Panny 800u and the 850u? im also nervous about possibly going with Samsung..


Im now trying to decide between plasmas as my Toshiba LCD had green screen issues...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
I have the 510 sammy, has pink whites, as most people do with them on a white screen. Text is blurry on it also. It will be going back to best buy. Right now I am trying the vizio 505, very nice set, panny glass. I may keep this one. I have a 46" panny 800u on the way to try out also. I use these as a computer monitor and bedroom tv. 50" computer screen is awsome............
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top