AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own the Pana-300 and am shooting onto a 120" diag. Parkland Plastic DYI screen (got kids!). I must say I am in love with this little machine!!! I am feeding it with a HTPC using the 1280 X 768 Powerstrip resolution provided by Ryan Pream, via VGA plug.

The picture is really great, and if this is good as it gets I will still be very happy. However, I'm wondering if the picture would be at all improved using the DVI plug from my HTPC (I have the Radeon 9000 Pro with DVI out). Has anyone done an A-B comparison on these two input types? I've read conflicting reports. Anyone have a definitive answer? Any better resolution settings with the VGA?

THANKS!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bumping it back up, anyone with experience doing this? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
115 views and no Panny owners have any input on this issue? I wish to do my permanent wiring and am really looking for opinions. I don't want to spend big $ on a long DVI cable if it's not gonna help. Anyone with input? All help is appreciated.

Thanks...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Cliff,

I am using DVI from my HTPC (I have the Radeon 9700 Pro ). I have made a comparison between 950x540 VGA and 1072x600 DVI and I've decided to use 1072x600 DVI (it seemed a little better to me, although not by far).

So for me 1072x600 DVI is the best, till someone would help us get the elusive 1:1.

Julia

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Julia,

what resolutions are possible via DVI at all with the AE300?

I have read here that with VGA you can use 800*600 with a 1:1 mapping, that simply cuts off the rest of the picture (some kind of Pan&Scan).

I would hope with DVI you can use e.g. 1024*768 where the pj displays the center 960*540 pixels and cuts off the rest.

That would be perfectly usable with Zoomplayer.

Is something like that possible?

Thanks!

Bye,

Guenther

·
Registered
47 Posts
I hesitate to reply since this is purely my very uneducated opinion, but count me as one who favors the DVI connection.

Here's my set up, HTPC, win2k, Radeon 7500, catalyst 3.2 driver; I had been using an Infocus LP350 with DVI for about 2 years before upgrading to the Pana 300 last month. I watch a variety of sources inc. cableTV, DirecTv, DVD, VHS, Laserdisc and computer videos (xvids etc..) all fed through the HTPC.

Here's what I tried:

1. First, using 3 different DVD players via S-video. I found the colors very weak. Sorry for the lack of technical accuracy.

2. Then I tried the DVI, everything looked great but it only worked with a few resolutions (960x518, 1280x768 etc..) and after seeing a post in this forum by someone who claimed that the 300 was designed with VGA in mind and in fact will work better with VGA than DVI, I went out and got a VGA cable.

3. VGA was a great bit more colorful :) and greatly more flexible, it works with any resolution I threw at it. The down side was the colors tend to bleed into each other to produce a blurry image, also there was significant video noise, I guess both of these are expected since it is analog.

I switched back and forth between DVI and VGA for about a week and decided that the DVI, using 1280x768 produced a far cleaner and well defined picture, color wise. And there is absolutely no video noise to speak of.

Of course, I am also seeing the scanline artifacts that I never saw with the VGA, maybe blurry picture isn't such a bad thing :) I have not tried the flicker tweak.

I did not do any calibrations other than with the remote.

So my vote is for DVI, a strong vote.

- Steve.

p.s. I have a DVI- cable for infocus PJs for sale, cheap, if anyone wants it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info! Guess I'll have to buy a DVI cable and take a look for myself before doing the permanent wiring. It seems it's all a matter of personal preference, but the nice part is you can get a great picture with either one. Thanks again!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cliff,

Long DVI cable may not be doable at all without resorting to some fancy signal amplifier? With my Infocus LP350, I could only get the 3m cable to work, not the 5m, both were RamElectronic cables.

With the 300, I tried both 9' and 15', no problem. DVI specs says max. length is 15', FWIW.

YMMV,

Steve.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Yeah but can you even run a VGA cable without a Transcoder? If I remember right you couldn't run a VGA cable to the AE100.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tom-

Yes, I run a 20 ft. VGA cable directly from my computer to the VGA in on the PJ, The picture is pretty damn impressive!

PS - What are you doing slumming in the

·
Registered
122 Posts
Julia,

This is a little off topic, but do you happen to have these values from your HTPC for the 1072x600 mode?

Horizontal Freq.-------------Vertical Freq.

Video Width------------------Video Height

HSyncTotal-------------------PreHSync

HSyncActive------------------PostHSync

VSyncTotal-------------------PreVSync

VSyncActive------------------PostVSync

HSyncPolarity----------------VSyncPolarity

I have the bravo d1 and there is a custom DVI setting on it, but these values need to be inputted. We can get some from the manual for the 300u but the others are not listed. If your HTPC has these values and you can help with the others it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Darren.

P.S.

Stevean,

Is the 960x518 resolution listed in the manual or is this a separate resolution that happens to work with the 300u?

Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
About the 960x518 resolution, I did a lot of research on this forum and the pstrip forum and I tried everything I saw.

Bottom line the 1280x768 is the least objectionable, ie least amount of cropping and text is still readable. Boy I wish we can do 1:1 mapping.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've tried vga and dvi at the various resolutions . For video cards I'm using a Radeon 9700 Pro and a Hipix DTV 200 (w/DVD Playback add on).

I would rank DVD playback as follows.

1) Hipix DTV 200 1920x1080i

2) Radeon 9700 Pro DVI 1280x768p (scan lines, but the PQ > VGA)

3) Radeon 9700 Pro VGA various resolutions

The hipix dtv 200 [email protected] ("AA" picture quality according to the panny manual)works quite well.The scanlines are non-existent. I've read that the Hipix has a really good scaler which probably accounts for the fact that it looks much better at 1920x1080i then the Radeon 9700 Pro.

There are a some issues with the hipix and 1920x1080i in general though. Lack of good 4:3 aspect ratio control, very simplistic dvd navigation tool, FF/RW can cause crashes and the Black border around video, etc.. For me, these issues are outweighed by the hipix PQ.

I planning on sticking with VGA, for now. That could change as I have the immersive H3D II and HD Aux on order. I'll probably try both DVI and VGA when it arrives. Good thing is that I'll still be able to loop the Hipix though the immersive HD card and use the Hipix DVD playback method if preferred.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just got a Panny 300, and I'm new to Powerstrip, and could use some help getting it set up with my ATI Radeon 9000 card (not 9000 Pro).

First, is there a manual for Powerstrip anywhere? I can't seem to find one.

I've tried pasting in various custom resolution and timing options, but can't get anything to work with this projector over DVI-D that isn't 4:3. It seems that maybe the graphics card doesn't support many of the custom resolutions -- or I'm just not setting things right.

The only 16:9 resolution that the graphics card seems to accept is 1280x768, but the projector just displays a blank screen for that one. I suspect that the timing needs to be tweaked -- but how do you do that?

Specific powerstrip parameters for this setup would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hiya - have said this before (ie: do a search on 'scotthal'), but the DVI-D input on the ptl300u is a bit finicky. And the ATI drivers won't accept resolutions inconsistent with the EDID info. That said, best bets for 16x9 resolutions are:

856x481=856,39,128,25,481,3,1,15,31500,272

1072x603=1072,55,208,41,603,1,1,18,51468,272

I prefer a couple of the VGA resolutions (i'm using a Sapphire 9600):

1280x720=1280,54,80,282,720,4,1,25,76500,310

1904x1040=1904,60,56,180,1040,22,10,52,74250,286

May be an idjit with bad eyes, but the added D2A, A2D conversions (VGA vs DVI-D) with my vidcard don't seem to add any visual artifacts; and the 1904x1040i resolution thru VGA looks appreciably better than anything i've been able to achieve over DVI

·
Registered
336 Posts
Best of luck - coupla caveats; i'm using the ATI Catalyst 3.4 drivers with tiling disabled (yet another hidden Powerstrip setting), not sure if _any_ of the newer ATI driver packages handle interlaced resolutions atall... YMMV (your mileage may vary)... the newer ATI radeon vidcards do 10bits internally (vs the 8bits of earlier generations); may contribute to the quality of the VGA/analog outputs.

That said; i find 1072x603p to be comparable in overall picture quality, toggling betwixt DVI & VGA inputs; 1280x720p (VGA) to be slightly better, and 1904x1040i (VGA), to be the best of the lot.

N'er the less, i often use the DVI:1072x603p playback settting just because the mouse menus are much more legible for the non-interlaced resolutions.

·
Registered
141 Posts
scotthal - Thanks again. I'm running the latest Catalyst 3.8 drivers -- I sure hope they haven't broken compatibility. I'll guess we'll find out.

On a side note -- any idea whether I'm going to get into trouble if I run 40' of VGA cable? I'd really like to keep all my equipment in the front of the room. Thanks,

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.