AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the local rep finally brought the Panny 300 in after my relentless badgering. He was trying to sell me the Sanyo PLV Z1 (though it is a nice machine, I fell in love with the Panny after reading all the posts in this forum wihtout actually seeing one for myself).

He demo'd the PJ on a 92" Draper M1300 screen and the PQ was really good but both my wife and I were not blown away as such. This is the room where the Sanyo is mounted.

I want a bigger screen (120" Diag) and asked if he could project on the screen next door where the Sharp 9000 was displayed (I've always loved the Sharp's PQ but never had the bucks to dish out for it).

He set it up and Holy Cra_!!! The Panny PQ was incredible and as far as i could see it was equal if not better than the Sharp on the 120" screen.

It made no sense to me that the PQ was so much better on the larger screen so I asked what screen was being used. He replied it was the same screen material (Draper M1300) but the 120" screen was the Draper Clarion with a black finish frame. Man, it is unbeleivable what effect masking can have on PQ.

Anyway, I was sold on the Panny the instant I saw the image on the framed 120" screen.

Screendoor. Are you kidding me? This thing is awesome. You may be able to see hints of it on a cable fed image but not on DVD and HD that he ran through the PJ. Very impressive brightness and color with good blacks and shadow detail. Essentially no fan noise

I'm now projecting on my painted wall and ready to order the screen.

Little undecided on whether to buy the M1300 screen vs the higher gain M2500 which also has good reviews. Lighting is not an issue but I wonder if the M2500 may be better to show SuperBowl etc with some lights on so people can play pool, go to the bar, etc without banging into things. I'll ask the question in the Screens forum.

Just a note to say I am very happy so far though I have only had the PJ for 2 days.

Cheers

Bob:D

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have had both in my house at the same time for extensive side by side testing- in my personal opinion, the higher resolution and superb sharpness of the XV-Z9000 stands out over the Panny. The overall black level is slightly better than the Panny, but in low luminence scenes the Sharp seems to have a lot more contrast and depth. The Sharp has no so-called scanline arifact, and no visible pixel structure at all compared to the Panny's fairly visible pixel structure with perfect focus.

I am not knocking the panny- I own it. Its a great performer, and for LCD technology stands up quite well to the Sharp. Considering it costs less than half as much is a huge feather in its hat, too.

Andrew B.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Andrew

You are right. Price is clouding my vision as such. Also clouded by my excitement over finally getting to demo the Panny. They are different animals and I am starting to see a bit of screendoor effect here and there on the Panny. Haven't tried the defocus yet. Still very happy with PQ for the price.

Any thoughts on screens?

Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ahem...I bought the Panasonic AE300U after comparing it to the Sharp Z10000 but that was based on price. In terms of viewing quality, I think that AE300 has far more pixelation. In terms of brightness and contrast and colors, perhaps these two are pretty close, but I still see pixel grids, albeit not enough to keep me from buying such a wonderfully priced projector. I know you were comparing the 9000 to the Ae300, but still, it is stretch to say the two are the same or the AE300 is better.

I found the Sharp 10000 absolutely flawless to my untrained eyes, but I still see pixels or mini grid patterns on my AE300, still love it though.

Maybe I am too close. I am using a temporary tripod loaner screen that has a 56 inch width (help me figure the diagonal please, I think it is 65 inches according to projectorcentral.com). At 1.5 times the diagonal as a recommended viewing distance, that would be 97.5 inchs, but I am sitting only 80 inches away or 1.23 times the diagonal. Is that why I can see the pixels??? :confused:

Later in the new setup a month away when the new furniture arrives and the in wall screen is installed I will be sitting 144 inches away from a screen with a 75 inch width (projectorcentral says that would be an 87 inch diagonal). Will I then be too far away? 1.5 times the screen diagonal would be 130.5 inches. So I guess I will be alright, but again, I must be too close now. Tonight, I will check what it looks like to me from 97.5 inches or more from the temporary tripod screen and report back to you.

By the way, I have also not AVIA calibrated the projector yet, this is out of the box and I am only currently using a really old DVD player with no progressive scan, etc. and S-video wires. Later, when I finish making it, I will use an HTPC with DVI out. I guess I should suspend my judgement until I have everything finally setup properly and calibrated appropriately huh? ;)

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think you will see better results if you calibrate and move further back a bit. I am at 1.5 uncalibrated and I can hardly see any pixel structure even if I try, but my eye isn't really trained or anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.