AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the trigger [could'nt keep waiting on the HS-10] and it is currently being shipped. I have about a week for my DIY screen preparation. I was going to use the Behr flat ultra white, but, wanted to get a concensus on what would be best for this PJ. Should I mix in a little grey? Should I use the ceiling flat or the wall flat? What about the eggshell?

It is not too convienient to re-paint each time since it needs to go down a very tight stairwell to the basement, so I wanted to see your thoughts for the best combo on the first try. I can roll, or, if need be, buy a sprayer for my 150 psi compressor, if necessary.

Since I'm a newbie, with a digital camera, I am going to, as many others have done, record in photos, the evolution of my project.

[P.S....I need quick WAF since I am going to have to explain this purchase somehow, so, I need a pretty quick WOW factor, or I'll be in the dog house. Yes, I'm the guy with the spouse that is 'perfectly' content with our current 32" RCA.....UGH!!]

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have no experience with paint of any kind, but I used some cheap Dazian screen material stretched over a frame, total cost was about $40, if its within your budget and you are capable with the sprayer I would look into a goo screen, I have heard this stuff works great. I am thinking about getting some myself to help w/contrast and black levels. As far as the wow factor, this is my first screen and I definently have it even on my cheap screen. As long as the paint is uniform you should get the wow factor then you can always change to your tastes. Even though this might be impossible you could wait until the projector gets there and then try different mixtures/types on small sample cards to decide what you like the best. I think to be totally happy it requires some sampling/experimentation, thats what stage I'm in right now. Have fun, you'll like this pj.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I have a panasonic 711xu. It has 1600 lum (1200 econ mode) and 400:1 contrast ratio. I have been quite happy with my glidden universal gray painted screen.

Your projector is lower in lum but higher in contrast ratio. I would guess that you would benefit from a grey screen but your 800:1 projector does not need as much help as my 400:1 projector. Also, with your relatively lower lum output you need to be careful not to go to grey (depending on the size screen you wish to project onto.).

You can see my experiences here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...+grey+greyhawk

You are also should review the various threads here on kbk's screen goo paint. I don't have any personal experience with it, so I can't speak for its qualities.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bump!

What about the 300U? There must be a few readers out there with a DIY painted screen?!?

I have a compressor and I just got a cheap [26$] sprayer, and I want to paint a smooth surface [masonite] tile-board [9.95$] from home depot.

Still no consensus on the grey or white Behr paint for the Panny 300U?????

·
Registered
587 Posts
MidLife, I went from a Draper M series screen to paint. The reason I did this was due to ripples in the screen that I couldn't get out. So I did some research on this forum and decided to give paint a try. I bought 1/2" MDF from Home Depot and went with the Behr, Ulta White ceiling paint, and their primer. To apply the paint I used a Super Smooth foam roller which I also got at Home depot. The first thing I did was prime the MDF, then I used some fine steel wool and lightly went over the primmed finish. Using the foam roller I put on two coats of the ceiling paint.
Results: Very Good! Compared to the Draper their seems to be just a little less gain but the colors and contrast are very acceptable.

~ Jay

and I am a 300 user.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.