AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for all of you Panny 42" owners. I have a Toshiba SD-9000 DVD player which, of course, doesn't output a progressive signal. I want to get the max performance from my panny so know I need to upgrade eventually.

My problem is that there doesn't seem to be a well-built player with a good feature set that doesn't have some type of problem (chroma bug etc) that I can afford. Do you think the performance with the 9000 will be good enough to wait until the next batch of players arrive? Would the Panny 56/91 offer much improvement to warrant making it my interim player?

Anything in the $1,000 range on the horizon that solves the prevailing problems?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
The RP56 and RP91 offer the best progressive video output out there today.

The RP56 can be had for under $200. I don't see any reason not to get it, except that the RP91 has DVD-Audio support, a nicer faceplate and more tweaks.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I am using the RP-56 with the panny, and the picture looks just great.

Just remember to make sure the little "Progressive" button is active. I went through a bunch of movies and realized the little progressive light wasn't lit. Bleh.

--Karl

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Karl,

Were you still happy watching before you noticed you weren't outputting progressive? Can I assume you saw a big difference after you corrected the situation?

I know this is going to sound weird. I'm having a hard time disconnecting an $800 DVD player (SD 9000) and hooking up a $200 player and expecting a big improvement. I know technology evolves, but isn't there more to picture quality than just progressive vs. interlaced?

I know this is a well-discussed subject and I don't want to plow old ground. I asked it here in the Plasma section because I was more concerned with the behavior of the Panny with different players than the players themselves.

I should have my TV in 2 weeks (worst case) and think I'll buy a 56 or 91, use it for 6-9 months and give it to my Dad when the next generation of players arrive.

Thanks to all for the advice. Sorry for the double post. Don't know what happened.

Matt

·
Registered
395 Posts
I didn't do a side-by-side comparison of my old sony non-progressive player with my new panasonic progressive player.

That said, the differece between having progressive on and off from the panasonic is like night and day. Not just picture clarity, but colors are more vibrant and real looking. Its a huge difference, even with the plasma monitor's signal processing.

My old drive is a Sony DVP-S550D. I seem to recall it retailed over $400 at one time. Its a fine player for a small screen; I'll probably donate it to a charity or something. With this old drive, my decision is a lot easier than yours.

I guess I'd use my existing drive if you are pleased with what it produces. I'd be interested in hearing about your results if you do compare the panasonic with your existing drive though.

Good luck!

--Karl

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Karl,

That's the kind of answer I hoped for. Really inclined to get a prog. player so I'll let you know how it turns out. Think I'll get one of the pannys (91/56). Now if the d*mn TV would just come!

My Lex MC-12 processor appears to be backordered too. About the only thing that arrived as planned are my BNC terminated cables.

Take care,

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.