AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently driving my Panny TH-42PWD4U with a HTPC connected to the VGA inputs.

My question is, given the Panny's native resolution of 852x480, is there any point in feeding it a 1080i or 720p high definition signal? Will there be a significant improvement in picture quality, color depth, etc. with such a signal?

I am considering purchasing a high definition tuner card for my HTPC that would allow me to receive my local OTA high def and digital channels. But before I leap, I'd like some feedback on whether the high-def signals represent a significant improvement in PQ -- thanks.

- Ken

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I am sure I answered this question recently.

But, I'll do it again:

HD on the set looks gorgeous, so long as you don't suffer the VGA bug. It is beautiful to look out despite the "inferior" resolution.

Compared to watching OTA analog, and certainly compared to cable or DirecTV/Dish, the HD picture is breathtaking. Alias, CSI, et al. are awesome; sports are unbelievable.

Mark

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Mark, I know it's just a very strange coincidence but did you notice that your last post was number "1080" ?

Fate of the plasma gods I'm sure..........(GGG) T. Wiz

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I did notice, right after posting it Robert. It was pretty funny.

Mark

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay -- you guys, and some of the testimonials in other threads, have convinced me to get on my roof and put up an antenna next to my dish. I already have the multiswitch, so its just a matter of installing the antenna, hooking it to the right input, and diplexing it at the other end.

I'll take Mark's 1080th post as an omen.

- Ken

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have one of the 42" Panasonics in my den fed by ExpressVu and DirectTV, each providing HD.

It is most certainly well worth it and the quality/price is best of class.

There is so much data for the Panasonic to use in the downconversion that what remains is utterly pristine.

By all means, do it.

regards,

patrick

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
As recently stated by Mike T. from KeyDigital, that to get the best quality your source material should always be at least slightly better than your display resolution. A good scaler will downconvert & leave you with a fantastic image.

In this particular case, there's only a slight downconversion (12% for 1080i).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.