AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. I finally pulled the trigger on a 42" Panny. But now, Im going crazy with trying to understand the aspect control mechanism.

I have no trouble switching aspect (zoom, normal, just, full) if Im using a DVD player connected through the S-Video port.

BUT, I just got Direct TV installed and when I connect the Hughes receiver using the S-Video port, I only get zoom aspect. If I try to switch aspect using the Panny remote, nothing happens. Also, switching the aspect ratio on the Direct TV menu from 4:3 to 16:9, nothing happens. What is going on...?? :mad:

Now, I know that I could use an RCA cable with a RCA-BNC adaptor to feed the video from the Hughes receiver to the Plasma display. Will this solve my aspect problem? But.... if I do this, am I not using a lower quality connection...? I thought S-Video was always the best way to feed video to a Plasma display, or? Furthermore, would it be possible for me to set up dual video feeds (ie. S-Video cable and RCA+BNC cable)? Would that give me more options regarding aspect?

Finally, is it just me or is the standard Panasonic manual for the TH-42PWD4 very barebones... Ive seen much better manuals for simpler things like a VCR. I think this manual could use a lot more wording and diagrams for more complet set-ups for multiple & simultaneous input options (DVD, Cable TV, Satelite, VCRs).

Thanks to all for your help with this... :D

Gaucho100K

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
This s video lock problem has been discussed numerous times on this forum but you need to know what to search for. I did a search for "s video lock" and found a few links such as this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=s+video+lock

However, I know that a Panny tech posted a fix to this and tried to search for his name with Technowizard to no avail so I simply looked back a few pages and found his post. Correct name was Technicwizard:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=133131

Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow... as always on this forum, I got more than what I bargained for. I just learned that Super Video is crappy, and composite is the way to go. I will go ahead and read all the pages of both links and try to summarize my questions, which now have multiplied.

I see that my problem is quite a major one, since I have a commercial model Panny so I doubt Panny Authorized service will assist me at home, even if I pay them. I wonder if I can somehow bypass the need to touch or modify the hardware by connecting my gear through an alternate non S-Video port.......

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Gaucho100K,

Sorry, you've steered off course...

Composite is the worst non-modulated form of video connection (RF is a modulated form of composite). Composite is a single RCA/BNC connection.

SVideo is the next one up the chain - and separates the luma (brightness) and chroma (color) signals, which are now on separate cables (i.e., 4 leads in Din4 connector).

Component (YPbPr) is the next level, which separates the Blue and Red difference signals from the single chroma channel. It uses 3xBNC or 3xRCA and provides the best quality for analog INTERLACED signals.

Component can carry progressive signals too (which are better than interlaced).

RGBHV uses 5x BNC or a VGA connector to provide a better quality signal than component. It is usually progressive (it doesn't have to be).

OK, now that you know all the levels of ANALOG video - you can decide which one is good for you. SVideo is most definitely higher quality than composite.

Since you have the lock, you have to either get an unlocked version of your signal (either by employing a DC block, like the one John Simm is now testing, or through an A/V receiver switch that clamps down the DC level) or you have to make the change as described by the Panasonic tech article.

Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ofer, thanks a million for a very clear and concise explanation. That DC block sounds like a very appealing solution, provided it works properly. I am trying to avoid tampering with the hardware on the plasma set, even if its done by an authorized Panasonic outfit. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.