AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done enough reading and research hereabouts to learn that a refresh of the Panny plasmas is due "later this year". For me, being in the market for a 42" ED, that means July-ish.

My situation is that I have a perfectly functional 36" Wega that CAN fit into my new house, into which I am moving in a couple weeks, but it'll be cramped as all hell.

Given that the new model will feature an HDCP-compliant DVI port (better future-proofing, presumably), may offer better PQ (although who knows?), offers design changes in the form of included speakers and maybe different colors, but will presumably street for a higher cost and might not be widely available until August...

...what would you do? Plunge now, or stand down until the new model comes out?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Unless you were waiting for the high def model with hdcp I would take the plunge now.

I think that the current model is better looking because its black. Also the speakers are no biggie, at least for most, as it will be hooked to an av system. Also, there really isn't a need for hdcp in a edtv unless I am over looking something here.

Just my .2 cents.

-Chris

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ok,

Are you ever going to listen to 8W speakers?

Do you want a silver bezel?

If so, wait. If you only want the speakers, take the plunge now and add the speakers for an extra few hundred.

As for PQ, don't expect any glaring improvement. Panny is already highly rated for its PQ, and it seems to me, that they are slow on the uptake in tweaking an already existing great picture. DVI-HDCP shouldn't be something you need to worry about due to the ED's native 480p resolution. There is some debate about "future proofing" with a DVI-HDCP input. I didn't buy into that sentiment, and think I'll be safe in my decision to buy now for at least 3-5 years.

I think the biggest issue with the current Panny plasma is lack of multiple inputs for component signal and composite/s-video override. Perhaps they will add more inputs. A component switcher can be had for ~$150, so I wouldn't worry about that either.

IMHO, do like I did and buy now, you won't regret it.

btw, there are fans of the Poineer on this board, and will suggest you get that now. Check em out and decide what's best for you if you buy now. There are good one's (Panny and Pioneer) on the market now, that won't be a worse performer than the new models

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've been struggling with this decision myself.

I decided to pull the trigger this month. The prices are really compellling now.

By the time HDCP really matters, the world will be a different place, and who knows what will really matter? And it may not ever matter for an ED display anyway (e.g. the copy-protected schtuff may be available anyway without copy protection in a lower resolution, which the Panny can upscale nicely if necessary).

Speakers can be added.

I think that the limiting PQ factor on the Panny ED right now is the ED -- the pixel size and resolution. I'd be surprised if the next generation improved the PQ very much, as I'm not sure it's possible to improve it very much with the ED resolution (I might be wrong -- maybe there is more that could be done to make the upscaling and downscaling better; so there IS that possibility I suppose).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. The impact of the speakers on the revised 42" Panny would be wholly aesthetic, I agree. I can't imagine anyone with a TV like this acutally using them. (Well, I can, but such people would be voted off any given island I might control.) And as far as looks go, I definitely prefer black over silver. So that's a point for now rather than later.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am in the exact same position here. The price is getting pretty compelling, and I am running out of reasons to wait. I think the only thing I am holding onto is the belief that when the new Panasonic plasmas come out, somebody will decide to put the current model on clearance and I will get a great deal.

Tim

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't care about the speakers or the silver. I'm waiting for the HD model because of DVI/HDCP, the additional component inputs, and the built in dual-tuner. Yes, it may cost a bit more out the gate, and it's a b**ch waiting, but personally I think it'll be worth it. After all, I'm hoping to keep the thing for five years or more.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jrnewquist
I've done enough reading and research hereabouts to learn that a refresh of the Panny plasmas is due "later this year". For me, being in the market for a 42" ED, that means July-ish.

My situation is that I have a perfectly functional 36" Wega that CAN fit into my new house, into which I am moving in a couple weeks, but it'll be cramped as all hell.

Given that the new model will feature an HDCP-compliant DVI port (better future-proofing, presumably), may offer better PQ (although who knows?), offers design changes in the form of included speakers and maybe different colors, but will presumably street for a higher cost and might not be widely available until August...

...what would you do? Plunge now, or stand down until the new model comes out?
Should have pulled the trigger in March, you would have gotten a "free" OTA HD tuner;).

Do it now if you want. I personally do not think that DVI/HDCP will be the end all. Many, many people who went out and purchased a HDTV, whether RPTV, plasma, LCD, etc. will not expect their very expensive purchases to be "obsolete" in five years. In fact, you will still get HD with the ED only it will be down ressed to 480p at the display.

HDCP is all about content providers being able to not allow individuals to record/share HiDef programs which, by definition, is better than DVD resolution. For that matter, to record a HiDef program you will need gigabytes, yup GIGABYTES, of storage and to be able to share it you will also need an OC3 connection to the Internet to even make sharing what you recorded not an ordeal (lets see, my DSL does 768 kbps, I have a 16 gigabyte file I need to transfer that would take approximately 6 hours to download, someone check my math).

Personally, I think that HDCP will go the way of Pay-Per-View cable channels. Some industrious hacker will come out with a way to bypass the HDCP "Flag" with a STB and you can do what you want with the content.

Also, the prices are very, very competitive with HiDef RPTV's and will, more than likely, continue to descend. In five years, who knows, you may be able to go out and purchase a 60" HD set with all the bells and whistles for $5,000 (I have a dream). That's what I am shooting for and if/when it happens I will deligate the TH-42PWD5UZ to the bedroom and really expand my friend base.:p

·
Registered
19 Posts
After seeing a demo version of the new one to be launched in June I would definitely wait. I think the basics of the screen are basically v.similar to the current model but the design (built in tuner/speakers) is much nicer. Depends what flicks your switch I suppose. Even if you don't like the new model you should be able to get the old one on a deal when it comes out.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I'm in the lucky position of having to wait. The loan I'm paying off (before I let myself by the plasma) will happen in July. Hopefully by that time I'll have enough time to peek at the new models, see if there's anything worth going for, and then decide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.